Dealer Question on dealing with dealers?

/ Question on dealing with dealers? #1  

challengertn

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 135 soon to be Kubota
As a rule, do tractor dealers leave room in their pricing to wheel and deal like car dealers or are their quoted prices pretty much it. I know when I go to Kubota dealers they all have what looks like the same book to quote prices out of but the prices are different from dealer to dealer.

/ Question on dealing with dealers? #2  
challengertn

You are right. All dealers do not sell their tractors at the same price. I have been looking at new tractors in several different brands. There was one dealer that I checked with on a certain brand tractor that priced me a tractor for $3,870.00 more than another dealer did for the very same tractor. It pays to shop around for new tractors. Some dealers don't sell on a certain percentage, but try to get all they can for their tractors. I know because I have been checking a lot of dealers on the very same tractor.

Cabinholler

/ Question on dealing with dealers? #3  
It always pays to shop around. When I bought my MX5000 a couple of years ago I talked to the three closest dealers and found a wide price spread. Luckily the closest was the least expensive, and easy to do business with. As you will read in other discussions about price, remember that a dealer that is good at customer service is worth something as well; the lowest bid is not necessarily the best deal.

I see in your profile that you grow grass. Is that native grass by any chance? We are thinking seriously about growing little blue stem, or other native grass.

Just curious, whereabouts in central KY are you? I am located in Lousiville but the family farm is outside of Bowling Green.

/ Question on dealing with dealers? #4  
I spent hours on the telephone and e-mails getting quotes from dealers as far away as 300 miles from central Illinois - imagine my suprise when the dealer only 5 miles from me blew everyone else out of the water on my BX23. If someone is willing to drive a bit PM me and I'll be glad to give you my dealers name and number.

"If it's dirty you're happy !"

/ Question on dealing with dealers? #5  
JeremyL

My farm is used for cattle grazing. At the present, I do not cut any hay off of it. The grass blends is mostly Kentucky 31 fescue, red clover, and orchard grass. One of my fields has mostly red clover, and in the future I might bale some of it for hay, but I might have to reseed it, if I start using that field for hay. The grass blends that you were talking about seeding your farm with, I know nothing about, but could be good grass blends for the soil on your farm.

I am located in Danville, KY.

Cabinholler

/ Question on dealing with dealers? #6  
You will probably find dealers who start near MSRP to give themselves room for negotiations, and others who will give you rock bottom pricing right away. I guess it depends on the surrounding market and competition from competing brands. I always recommend that you purchse locally whenever possible to keep your money in the community. However, it doesn't hurt to use the prices you get from the "discount" dealer to help lower the local guy if needed.

/ Question on dealing with dealers? #7  
I got 3 quotes on my tractor and they varied by $1500. It pays to shop a little. I negotiated a price with my local dealer and he matched the offer I got so it's possible to discuss price and find something that works for everyone.

/ Question on dealing with dealers? #8  
Shop around and let the last dealer be your favorite (In my case, closest to home). Get him to match your lowest price. Worked for me.

/ Question on dealing with dealers? #9  
I emailed the dealers in our area for estimates, then went to the one that offered the best price (he also delivers for free - not bad, since we live about 50 miles away. The other dealer - who is closer to us - doesn't deliver).

When we went in to the dealer last week, I didn't mention the estimate - wanted to see what he would tell us (this guy was different from the one that sent us the quote). I wasn't prepared to dicker with him, but he heard me debating with my husband about the value of a particular feature (B7510DT versus B7510DTN). Wanting the sale of the DTN, he brought the price down on it, also cut the cost of the brush hog. Still not as good as the price of the estimate, so I told him that we'd been offered less. He saw the email - and we get it for that price.

My only mistake was in appearing too eager - when we walked in there, he knew that we'd done research about models, etc., so he didn't have a difficult time selling us on that tractor.

It doesn't hurt to try for a lower price, or to get the dealer to throw in something extra. If you don't get the better price, at least you tried!