Kubota l2800 HST, is it right for me? new to this

/ Kubota l2800 HST, is it right for me? new to this #1  

jaykubota

Tractor
l2800 HST
I am looking at the L2800 HST and am wondeing if this would be good for digging out 3" oleander stumps, mowing 4 acres, and taking out 15' blackberry bushes?
Is $15,600 a good price for this tractor lieth a la463 loader?
Also what kind of Brush hog should I get?
The dealer is going to sell me a Sq series for $920 is this a fair price and will this do the job of taking out Blackberries bushes, and mowing my field? It is a shear pin, are these good?
thank you for all of your help.
Jay /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Kubota l2800 HST, is it right for me? new to this #2  
First, I’m surprised no has replied to you yet. If you had posted on the general buying/pricing forum, then you would already have 10 posts telling you the L2800 was perfect, 10 posts saying it was too small, 10 posts recommending a different colored tractor, etc. Just kidding! There are great many threads over there started by people hoping to accomplish similar tasks as yours and lots of good advice, so you may want to peek in at one of those “Please Help….” threads. However, I will try to answer some of your questions, even though I’m relatively new to tractors as well.

I have a B7800, which has a smaller frame and is much lighter than the L2800, but with similar HP. From how you have described your land, I think you’ve hit on a good initial HP from which to compare other models. I have found my tractor satisfactory for bush hogging and removing brush as well as landscaping, snow blowing, hauling firewood, etc. I also recommend the HST. It makes working around piles of brush with the loader easy and is user friendly and safer for new tractor owners, significant others, weekend help and other casual users.

As for the perfect size tractor, you may want to consider other potential jobs too. For example, I use mine to finish mow, so the lighter weight of the B-series is a plus to me. Conversely, a larger L series may allow for a larger bush hog, bucket, etc. making jobs quicker. By “digging out” do you mean adding a back hoe to the tractor or just using a front-end loader? Without a toothbar or something similar, even small stumps may be troublesome with the bucket.

I cannot speak with any certainty on prices, but the price you quoted falls into the range of what I would expect. I looked at an L3400 with a loader for around $18k earlier this week. I’ll respond to your bush hog questions in another post, so this doesn’t get too long.

/ Kubota l2800 HST, is it right for me? new to this #3  
Part II
The L2800 should drive a 4 or 5 foot bush hog with no problem. If you mowed regularly and the vegetation is thin, then you might even try a 6 foot, but very few dealers, tractors, or bush hog manufacturers would recommend that for every type of mowing. I use a five foot with my B7800. The L2800 has a hair more PTO HP than the 7800, I believe. If I let my grass grow to 3 feet high and try to race through with a full 5” bite, it bogs down. When that happens, I can either raise the mower and use multiple passes, slow down to a crawl, or just take lesser swipes each pass (or mow more often). Mowing 4 acres with a 5 ft cutter won’t be especially taxing or time consuming. I won’t estimate how long it will take because that depends on terrain and how often you mow, but it’s a good match. I assume the SQ price is for a 4-6 foot model?

Did you plan on simply bush hogging the blackberry bushes, or are they so thick that they need another remedy (uprooting, cutting)? I have mowed several clumps of our wild raspberries with both a finish mower (regrettably before I had a bush hog) and a bush hog. There are several good threads on bushogging and reclaiming wild land in the other forums. Many people advise keeping the front end loader real low to hit rocks and stumps before your mower does. This method works well for raspberry plants too, effectively knocking down the plants and protecting the driver a bit. It may take several passes to mulch the stems, but a bush hog sure does a good job on anything less than 1” thick. The more times you “hog it” the less wild it will be.

I regards to a shear bolt, I again suggest looking at other bush hog threads to make a decision. The upgrade from a simple shear bolt is a slip clutch. The purpose of both systems is to protect both the mower and your tractor from (more) serious damage when (not if) you hit a rock or stump. A shear bolt requires the operator to replace the bolt before continuing on with mowing. Depending on your acreage and time concerns a slip clutch can be an attractive option. Here in Maine, I couldn’t find a dealer who sold a bushhog WITHOUT a slip-clutch—it’s an upgrade very few customers pass on. Same goes for a heavy duty laminate tire on the tail-piece. How you rate these upgrades depends on condition of land.

For real wild acreage, some other posters have suggested renting or hiring SOMEONE ELSE’s bush hog for the initial clearing and then using your own once it has been tamed. This is a little extreme, but there’s plenty of merit in the suggestion if the ground is particularly obscured. If the blackberry plants don’t allow you to look out for hazards on foot, I would proceed very cautiously the first time through. Another important bushhog issue is safety. I have no trouble respecting my bush hog for many reasons, including: (1) it makes my 6 ft rear finish mower look like a toy, (2) it spits out basketball-sized boulders like they were…. umm…basketballs, and (3) the blade keeps spinning for up to five minutes after you stop the tractor! Anytime when bushhogging, but especially when attacking overgrown land, you should keep people, pets, other vehicles far away. Fifty to one hundred feet may even be two close, stuff gets flung out of there in all directions at great speed.

Finally, I left the brands for last. There are as many TBN members who swear by the cheaper brands as there are TBN members who deride those same brands. The difference in cost is at least 2 to 1. The 3 brands I considered were all on the higher end: Land Pride, Woods, and Bushhog. All three will be more durable than a $450 model. With optional slip clutches, and different tail wheels, I’d expect 4-6 ft models to run from $800-1,400 for these three brands.

Such a long two-part reply to say: “Yes, I think you’re looking at the right sized tractor and implement for your land”, huh?

/ Kubota l2800 HST, is it right for me? new to this #4  
Jay,

Nick37 just about covered everything. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One caution I would add, and I think Nick37 touched on this also, is that careful consideration needs to be given to both immediate needs and long term needs.

Once the heavy work is done, is there a chance you might find a smaller tractor would better suit your long term requirements? In my case, I think the B2910 is more than I really need, and while I lusted for a L3130 for a while, I came to my senses... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The B7800/2910/3030 size is large enough to do a lot of hard work, but still small enough to to finish mow pretty well. Still, in my case I opted to buy a smaller tractor to do smaller chores, including finish mowing (as a little sister to the larger tractor, naturally /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ). Why is a longer story than I feel like typing! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

My feeling now is that if I had to have only one tractor for my 3.7 acres, something like a B7510 would probably be the best fit. At least now that most of the heavy work is done.

I guess what I seem to be struggling to say is that I think the L2800 will work for you now, but that it may not be the best fit for the long term. Then again it just might. My neighbor has a pretty large tractor on 4.5 acres, an old International 454, that has 38 PTO HP!!! He bought it new about 30 years ago. But he also has a smaller JD that he cuts grass and does small chores with.

Have fun with the decision process!

/ Kubota l2800 HST, is it right for me? new to this
Thank you,
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I ordered it and will get it in mid march. I cant wait. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif