Which models are the knock-offs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Which models are the knock-offs? #1  

rtimgray

Veteran Member
This came up in another thread in another forum, that (I guess) has been closed and now entirely deleted...the part about Kioti being a knock-off of Kubota. In the past there have been Kioti dealers claim that the Kiotis are the same as Kubotas, just an economy version, or any other of a number of relationships. I first heard this from a joint Kubota/Case/Kioti dealership when I was in college, and it has been a prevalent rumor again and again. So that brings me to my question...

...if Kioti is a Kubota knock-off, which Kubota models are the victims of the knock-off. Which Kubota models "cross" to the LK series, DK series and CK series. The LKs don't really look like any Kubotas; the DK 35, 40, 45, 50 have some similarities to the Kubota Grand L series, but they seem to be skin deep (4 wheels, headlights, orange, etc.). The DK 55 and 65 don't look anything like a Kubota (neither does the upcoming 45). The CK series don't really remind me any Kubotas either. If some claims are true, and the Kiotis are cheap imitations of Kubotas, which models were the victims of reverse engineering. Or is it merely that there are some sheetmetal similarities, a shade of orange and a "K" in the name that drive this question? I'll admit - if I'm driving down the road and see an orange tractor at a distance in the field, I can't swear that it is Kubota or Kioti. Of course, if its blue I can't tell if its Ford/NH or Long; if red, and I can't tell if it's Massey or International or maybe even Mahindra. So anyway, I thought that I would ask the Kubota experts (and likely get roasted - but I hope I get my answers before we get this thread edited/closed/deleted). Thanks for the help.

/ Which models are the knock-offs? #2  
I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone on this board who will claim that any Kioti is a knock off a Kubota. I would hope that there aren't any dealers around anymore who are pushing that idea either.

Cliff

/ Which models are the knock-offs? #4  
I looked at Kioti before I bought my 7800, and they looked like good machines. I chose to go with Kubota again because of resale value, location of dealer and the fact the dealer I talked to seemed like a jerk, putting Kubota down. On the other hand, my Kubota dealer did not put Kioti down, but simply talked about what Kubota and he had to offer. the Kioti dealer might, I said might, have made a sale if he had been as interested in showing me what he had to offer instead of knocking something I knew was good. Kioti dealer claimed their chief engineer had worked for Kubota for 20 years before going with Kioti, I don't know if this is true or not.

/ Which models are the knock-offs? #5  
Those trade dress lawsuits are a dime a dozen. Here's one where Deere sued MTD.
Who would mistake an MTD for a Deere? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Deere and MTD

Old News.

hambob, I had just the reverse happen. I mentioned Kioti to the local Kubota dealer and you'd thought I'd said a cuss word. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Don

/ Which models are the knock-offs? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Those trade dress lawsuits are a dime a dozen. Here's one where Deere sued MTD.
Who would mistake an MTD for a Deere? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Deere and MTD

Old News.

hambob, I had just the reverse happen. I mentioned Kioti to the local Kubota dealer and you'd thought I'd said a cuss word. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Don )</font>

If you check deeper it was not just a dress issue and Kubota was awarded !!

I dis no one else's brand!! and never have, the product sells itself to the buyer who consideres all aspects of his purchase!!

Personally if the Tractor you have or want does the job you ask of it and you are happy , then everyone in the Tractor Community benifits!!

Dean

/ Which models are the knock-offs? #7  
From what I read the lawsuit was 'settled'.
Needless to say, Kubota does not seem to be obsessing about it. I did not find mention of it at all on Kubota's website.

<font color="blue"> Personally if the Tractor you have or want does the job you ask of it and you are happy , then everyone in the Tractor Community benifits!!
</font>
So true...

Don

/ Which models are the knock-offs? #8  
That is such a ridiculous question, I don't even feel the need to comment on it. I'm sure that the Rolecks watch makers who used to sell watches in the islands didn't copy their watches off of any other maker.

/ Which models are the knock-offs?
"That is such a ridiculous question, I don't even feel the need to comment on it." Then why did you comment on it? If folks are going to call a product a knock-off, and these folks are obviously intensely knowledgable about tractors and the like, then I would hope that they would have done enough research to tell me which models are the knock-offs and which merely share a passing similarity in color and begin
with "K".

"I'm sure that the Rolecks watch makers who used to sell watches in the islands didn't copy their watches off of any other maker." Which tractor manufacturer is selling a Cubota or a Kobuta tractor? Last time I looked, it was spelled K-I-O-T-I.

Soooooooo - anybody got that knock-off list together yet?

/ Which models are the knock-offs? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( From what I read the lawsuit was 'settled'.
Needless to say, Kubota does not seem to be obsessing about it. I did not find mention of it at all on Kubota's website.
So true... )</font>

See Kubota Press Release

Bill Tolle

Status
Not open for further replies.