How much power do I need?

/ How much power do I need? #1  

Chuck

I have been looking at Kubota tractors to grade my 1/2 mile gravel driveway and to run a sickel bar mower. I have both a 7ft and a 6ft mower. The models I have been considering are the L3010 and the L3000. Both have 32 HP with 25 and 27.5 PTO hp respectively. A dealer has been questioning these choices, saying they may not have enough hp to run the mowers satisfactorily. Anyone have experience in this area? Words of widom. Since I'm currently running a 32 hp Ford model 641 with this mower, I wonder if the dealer is trying to "up-size me".

/ How much power do I need? #2  
Chuck.
Since you are already a tractor owner and useing about the same horse power also getting the job done,I'm sure you can read between the dealer lines.

Little more HP might be handy to have if needed,but if you have the time whats a couple of more passes.

By the sounds your planing to switch to ORANGE. :eek:)

Try tractor tips or Craver.com for more information or another dealership.

Take care also take your time.

Thomas..NH

/ How much power do I need? #3  
I would like to know more about sickel bar mowers, in particular cost. The only one that I have is no longer usable and was a horse drawn unit. I would sure like to mow a couple of steep banks, but will probably wind up using one of the high wheel string trimmers instead.

Each model owners handbook has a table of Implement Limitations where that information is provided. Borrow the manual for the 3010 and see how it is listed.

My tractor is a M6800SD 68 hp Kubota and the rating for a sickel bar mower is 7 ft. The rating for a M4900 49 HP Kubota is also 7 ft.

For rotary cutters the M4900 and M6800 tractors are also rated for 7 ft.

/ How much power do I need? #4  
Hi Chuck
i don't know any thing about these tractor but for what it's worth my grandfather 15 years ago had a old McCormick IH B250 rated at 25 pto Hp it towed a 6 foot mower and had no probs ,sticky clover the mower did but most sickel bar mowers do. the 7 foot one maybe a bit harder to run but i take it you may use it on light crops?
cya
JD Kid