BX2230 weight - Why's it so light?

/ BX2230 weight - Why's it so light? #1  

newcountry

Silver Member
Tractor
2005 Kubota BX2230
BX2230 weight - Why\'s it so light?

I believe it's right at 1300lbs. The rest of the tractors I look at comparably are at 1800-2000 lbs. This is my one and final hang-up on buying this great tractor.

The weight is great from a mowing perspective, but I'm looking to do more. I've got some FEL issues with such a light weight. I won't be doing tons of FEL work but enough I've got to worry about it. Is carrying a box blade around on the 3-pt going to make all the difference with the FEL like one dealer told me? Also, what about other ground-engaging implements like a box blade and a rear blade? How have others dealt with this? Or is it really a non-issue and I'm thinking through way too hard?

/ BX2230 weight - Why's it so light? #2  
Re: BX2230 weight - Why\'s it so light?

The BX is a sub-compact and shouldn't weigh a whole lot. Is that weight the tractor by itself? I have a B7300, 16hp and the tractor itself weighs about 1200 lbs. But the FEL adds a few hundred. I have accomplished everything I need to with my "light weight!"

If you think you need more weight you might consider a B series or adding weight to the BX. You could fill the tires, add wheel weights, etc.

As for a boxblade, I would imagine a 4ft goes about 150 lbs. I have used mine with the scarifiers down and didn't have any traction issues unless I hit something really solid. It'll dig deep and never miss a beat.

/ BX2230 weight - Why's it so light? #3  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I believe it's right at 1300lbs. The rest of the tractors I look at comparably are at 1800-2000 lbs. )</font>

The weight you see is for the tractor only. Add in a few attachments like 250 lbs for a mowing deck, 430 lbs for the loader, about 150 lbs for a back blade and you get to the 1800 -2000 lbs range.

/ BX2230 weight - Why's it so light? #4  

I believe Kubota also specs their tractor weight without any fluids (UDT, oil, coolant and fuel). When you consider this additional weight, the BX2230 weighs in much closer to its competitors (i.e. the JD2210 weighs 1400 lbs. "wet").

/ BX2230 weight - Why's it so light? #5  

Not sure what the question is exactly but I'll try to help if I can. The tractor itself is 1300. Add the loader and it's at least 250 pounds more but what you've done is shift the balance of the tractor towards the front of the machine. If you try to add material to the loader your shifting the center point even more.
Without counterbalance your in trouble. Ever had the rear end of the tractor lift up on you while moving a load?? Not fun....
I bought a weight box for my 3pt and it's allowed to have 300 pounds in the box. The box weighs 120# so when your done the package is about 2000#
This situation alone is nothing to worry about if your interested in buying the tractor. Just make sure whatever you do you buy something for rear weight.

/ BX2230 weight - Why's it so light? #6  

My KingKutter XB48" box blade has been a sufficient counter weight for everything that I have tried to do with the FEL. Also, even with the turfs on mine, it will pull the box blade quite well. Its not an ag tractor, but it will do quite alot. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ BX2230 weight - Why's it so light? #7  

I'm not sure what the real issue is here, are you paying "by the pound" for your tractor? Heavier weight tractors do not necessarily have higher lift capacities than lighter weight machines. The real issue seems to be is the loader on the BX enough loader for you? As for the box blade, a BX will pull a properly sized box blade without any issues, again the question comes to do you need a tractor that can pull a larger box blade than the BX can pull?

Here is the truth, some will argue with it. EXCESS weight does not improve the tractor. Is weight good? That depends. You need ENOUGH weight to get good traction, nobody can really argue with that, but once you have ENOUGH weight, then the question becomes what good is EXCESS weight? For loader work, proper balance is at least as important as weight, and probably FAR more important. The BX series tractors have limitations, nobody will argue that. However, with properly sized implements, they will do any job that a larger tractor will do, they just do it in smaller bites so they take a bit longer. For some people that is a real problem, for other people that is a non-issue.

Just to look at weight and comparable tractors (neither are comparable to the BX but this is an illustration of weight) a New Holland TC21 weighs 300# less than a Kioti CK20. The lighter NH has more FEL capacity than the heavier Kioti (not by much, but it is rated ever so slightly higher). The CK20 would have greater traction due to its 300# weight advantage, but the reality is that both tractors are really limited to a 48" box blade for effective and efficient usage under all conditions (clay to loam to sand). So what is the advantage to the extra 300#? In the real world, there is none, neither can effectively & efficiently use a 60" box blade. Kioti sells the Midwest BB15-48 for use with the CK20, which is actually considered a "sub-CUT" blade by Midwest; NH recommends a regular 48" box blade for their machine. The effective difference is negligable. I'm not trying to start a NH versus Kioti war, in fact I like the CK20 better than the TC21 because I believe it is a better value, however I used these 2 tractors to illustrate the weight issue.

/ BX2230 weight - Why's it so light? #8  

I personally like the fact that the BX series are lighter. About 75% of the work mine does is mowing, and the light weight and turf tires are gentle on the lawn. When it comes time to do dirt work, the FEL and my 3pt hitch weight bar add about 700 lbs. to the tractor. It really is two different machines /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Will

/ BX2230 weight - Why's it so light?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm not sure what the real issue is here, are you paying "by the pound" for your tractor? )</font>

If only it were so! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Heavier weight tractors do not necessarily have higher lift capacities than lighter weight machines...
Here is the truth, some will argue with it. EXCESS weight does not improve the tractor. )</font>

Thanks, Bob. That really helps clear the issue up for me. What got me thinking about this was concerns from multiple family members telling me, " that little tractor won't do what you want it to" when on this forum I saw time and time again that people WERE in fact doing exactly what I needed to. Then, when I realized the weight difference that doubt crept in.

Thanks everybody else also for responding. What I'm going to do is add a box blade to my package (I was going to need one anyway). BTW, I plan on removing my mower deck when I'm doing FEL work, so that weight won't be added, but I'm not worrying about it!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ BX2230 weight - Why's it so light? #10  

I just bought a BX2230 2005 with 642 hrs. What would you say is the best thing you like about yours? I have the 211 loader, a 50" snow blower and the 54" mower deck. I think I will definitely get a counter weight of some sort.