Which Kubota is for me? Mowing, moving dirt, etc

/ Which Kubota is for me? Mowing, moving dirt, etc #1  

carrerascott

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I'm pretty sure I've settled on Kubota as the brand but haven't been able to settle on a model so thought I'd ask here. I've done many searches and every 10 minutes I decide on something else. So here's what I plan to use the tractor for:

1. We have 10 acres, some slight slopes but nothing too serious, about 5-6 acres are grass/lawn (not show quality, more of a field/lawn), which will need to be mowed all spring/summer. Would like something light enough that it wont dig into the lawn, though its an old lawn so certainly not soft. Also related question, should I get a belly mower or a drag-behind mower?

2. Will need to move mulch and soil around as needed.

3. Will plow snow in the winter, though we only average 20" total snow each winter so its not likely to be very deep.

4. Would like to use it to clear some brush in the woods.

5. Occasionally would like to mow field (tall grass) -- maybe 1-2x per year, only an acre or so.

6. Occasionally will need to grade our driveway, or spread gravel, though we plan to get it paved in the next year or so, so...

7. Occasionally may need to grade other dirt areas for who-knows-what.

8. Would like to give the kids rides in the bucket. ;-)

So, that's mainly what I'd be using this baby for. Any model advice would be greatly appreciated. Also if you know expected price ranges that would be helpful, but I can search after for that.

Thanks!
Scott

/ Which Kubota is for me? Mowing, moving dirt, etc #3  
BX or a B sounds like a good move.

Not trying to tell you what to do... but PLEASE don't carry kids in the bucket! That is very dangerous.

You can look here to get an idea on prices on Kubotas.

Good luck and be careful! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Which Kubota is for me? Mowing, moving dirt, etc
Thanks, I'll check that site, nice to have prices in-hand. I was mostly kidding about the bucket thing, but thanks for reinforcing the danger. I'll let em sit in it when its on the ground and turned off, but not when its moving for sure.

I think I'll at least go with a B series... never know what I'll use it for in the future and don't want to buy too small.

/ Which Kubota is for me? Mowing, moving dirt, etc
p.s. I'd prefer to get 30+hp, so would I be better off going with something like the B-series B303HSD or and L-series like the L3400HST?

(or other 30hp-ish tractors in those series')

/ Which Kubota is for me? Mowing, moving dirt, etc #6  
Just went through a similar process as you are now. I have 17 acres of fairly good hills and hoped to do much of the same things you mentioned.

Someone mentioned here before that you will save youself a bunch of time to just buy the machine you know you want/need the first time instead of trying to buy too small because you think you can manage.

The BX machines are real workers, but I found that I could get more weight and hp for a similar price in the L series tractors. I settled on the L3400. It is heavy, but not so much that it will mark up dry lawn...it will leave tracks when the frost is coming out or in wet areas of course. It has plenty of power for its weight, doesn't have a bunch of frills -- seems like all your $$ are going into pure work machine which will produce for you. If you feel you need the extra comforts, the smaller but well decked-out units are nice.

I just love my L3400. After a very long search, with many units tested, I am very pleased. It's not for everyone though, try one yourself.

Shawn

/ Which Kubota is for me? Mowing, moving dirt, etc #7  
My personal choice for the property and jobs you mentioned:

B3030 (or B2910 or B7800) with front end loader (60" bucket preferred, but 54" is OK), box blade, rear finish mower, and brush hog (all 60" sizes).

I don't play in snow, so someone else would have to tell you what to do about that, unless it's so little you could use the front end loader. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Naturally, you can do the job with a smaller tractor; just take a little more time. And keep in mind, the fact that we'll be glad to give you recommendations based on our own personal preferences, but you need to visit the dealer(s), try out the tractors and decide which one is most comfortable for you.

/ Which Kubota is for me? Mowing, moving dirt, etc #8  
Having just moved from Charlottesville I know what youre talking about. As far as snow, all you need is a rear blade....find a used one.....wont need it that much. Of course don't get a 2WD..every utility trator should be 4X4. I just bought a L5030....was thinking mid L30something, but opted for the max. (BTW...it is being delivered today!!!)

As far as Kubota vs others, there are two things about K's that I love....one is durability...they last and last and last. Second, they hold their value. I truly think you can get 80-85% of retail price even a number of years later with up to 400-500 hours.

Take a drive out to Orange. There is a very large Kubota dealer there.

If you buy new one, it will last you for 30 years. AND you will know what every hour put on the machine was.

Good luck..... Kris

PS.... one thing I read here that really helped was...."No one has ever complained of having to much horsepower."

/ Which Kubota is for me? Mowing, moving dirt, etc #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm pretty sure I've settled on Kubota as the brand but haven't been able to settle on a model so thought I'd ask here. I've done many searches and every 10 minutes I decide on something else. So here's what I plan to use the tractor for:

1. We have 10 acres, some slight slopes but nothing too serious, about 5-6 acres are grass/lawn (not show quality, more of a field/lawn), which will need to be mowed all spring/summer. Would like something light enough that it wont dig into the lawn, though its an old lawn so certainly not soft. Also related question, should I get a belly mower or a drag-behind mower?

2. Will need to move mulch and soil around as needed.

3. Will plow snow in the winter, though we only average 20" total snow each winter so its not likely to be very deep.

4. Would like to use it to clear some brush in the woods.

5. Occasionally would like to mow field (tall grass) -- maybe 1-2x per year, only an acre or so.

6. Occasionally will need to grade our driveway, or spread gravel, though we plan to get it paved in the next year or so, so...

7. Occasionally may need to grade other dirt areas for who-knows-what.

8. Would like to give the kids rides in the bucket. ;-)

So, that's mainly what I'd be using this baby for. Any model advice would be greatly appreciated. Also if you know expected price ranges that would be helpful, but I can search after for that.

Thanks!
Scott )</font>

Welcome to TBN, Scott! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

First, a question. Is your 5-6 acres of field converted-to-lawn open, or are there a lot of obstacles to mow around? It sounds like your property is pretty similar to mine, except I've got a few additional acres of hardwoods.

I just bought a bx1500 with 48" mmm to replace my old cub cadet 107 lawn tractor. I will use it to mow the areas with the obstacles (trees, shrubs, flower beds, bird feeders, etc. - you get the picture). I expect the LA181 FEL fo come in handy as well. But I also have a JD 820 tractor (about 35hp) with a 6-ft Woods rear mount finish mower that I use to mow the open areas and an old no-name rotary cutter to mow the fields a few times per year.

If your property is open and you have no or few obstacles, I would definitely agree with schole and look at the L series with a rfm, because you'll get a lot more done faster with it and have more time to play with those kids. But if you've got to manuever around a lot of obstacles, the B-series with a mmm is probably a better choice. If you have both kinds of areas to maintain (like me), I would go with the bigger tractor and a smaller lawn tractor for the tight work.

Because of the low clearance and open underbelly of the bx, I would be reluctant to take it in the woods. Otherwise, it's a fine machine, IMHO, but it's size means you're going to spend more time getting a given amount of work done with it, and I'd rather spend that time playing with my kids (although they're getting to the age where playing with Dad isn't too cool). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Which Kubota is for me? Mowing, moving dirt, etc #10  
Wow, those jobs you listed really do not need that size tractor. I use the B7500 very sucessfully and on wider range of jobs than you listed (except for the fine mowing.) For wider fine mowing widths on the 5 acres, you could pull one of those ATV pull behind mowers at a 60 inch width.

Here is a pic of my b7500 moving dirt, at my new house.

Attachments

• 638360-movingdirt.jpg
    638360-movingdirt.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 254