How do I get a good deal?

/ How do I get a good deal? #1  

rickmacheske

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400 HST
I've read through just about everything I could find including a lot of threads here... I have a "new" 10 acre lot which means I need a tractor. I need it for mowing, both the grass and the field, smoothing the humps where I can't mow right now, cutting down the blackberry bushes, removing rocks, landscaping, etc. I'm think the following is the best way for me to go:

Kubota B2710
Front loader
Rear blade
Rear (or mid mount) mower
Bush hog
Rotary tiller
Box scraper

I would appreciate any comments on the plan...

Now the big question.. How do I get a good deal. The dealers nearby don't seem to want to budge an inch. I'm in Northern VA and would be willing to drive a couple hundred miles if I could get a good deal. Any suggestions? Any dealers out there?

/ How do I get a good deal? #2  
Rick,
I am in Charlottesville and the local dealers gave an "OK" price -- so last night I emailed every dealer in the surrounding states (NC, WV, PA, MD), I got 4 emails and a phone call today. 3 of them were $1500-$2000 less than the local dealer, plus I dont have to pay $1200 in taxes -- and that includes delivery. I would do what I did -- email as many dealers within a reasonable distance and tell them exactly what you want, and tell them you want to buy now -- I even told them I was emailing several dealers so give me your best price.

I think I am going with State Equipment in WV -- they were the first to email me back and they have been responsive so far. Overall I will save $3200 (or about 12%) over what the local dealer was offering, delivered to my door.

Good luck!
Scott

/ How do I get a good deal? #3  
I wonder if your local dealer would offer the lower price to a purchaser outside of his normal trading area? It would be an interesting experiment to try if you have another e mail address to use. Just tell him that you are located about 300 miles away and pick an appropriate city. No need to give him any more information other than the model & equipment that you are considering and your "fictitious" name and city/state. All these dealers selling outside of there normal trading area for less money are starting to get me wonder why..

/ How do I get a good deal?
Thanks for the great advice! I'll figure out exactly what I want and then contact dealers in different locations.

/ How do I get a good deal? #5  
Try Carver Equipment and Messick Equipment and see what they can do.

/ How do I get a good deal? #6  
They both responded to my emails -- Messick gave me a good price but not as good as the WV dealer (they may still come back with another price, I don't know). Carver emailed me in detail (from Steve Carver himself), and said he had a demo B7800 with 20hrs on it that really intrigued me, but when I called he was out for the day and the sales guy said they had NO B7800's on the lot, and had no idea what I was referring to. So, guess I'll see if Carver emails or calls me back tomorrow.

/ How do I get a good deal? #7  
I own one. it is the most incredible machine ever. it will withstand anything. It is just awesome to say the least. I bought mine out of state too. I will now trade it in for a new one it's a couple of years old. Resale values on them is awsome as well.

/ How do I get a good deal? #8  
What is Northern Virginia? To me you have quality dealers in Fredericksburg, Culpepper, Warrenton and Manasass. I did the shopping in a 50 mile radius and pricing was *very* similar. Where are you located and I can give you some dealers that you should consider.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How do I get a good deal?
I'm just north of Manassas. When I checked with the local dealers I took a price that I found on the internet (B7800, LA402, 5' rotary, 5' box blade, for 15,990). THe local dealers that you mentioned wanted over 21k! I'd much rather buy locally but I'm not going to spend 5k more to do it.

/ How do I get a good deal? #10  
I was seriously considering Kubota last fall and got similar quotes from the dealers in Manassas, Culpepper, Orange, Warrenton and Fredericksburg. They were fairly close to each other but high compared to some quotes posted here.