Looking to get a sub-compact tractor - BX2230?

/ Looking to get a sub-compact tractor - BX2230? #1  

Bob_M

I've been looking around for a tractor to replace my current garden tractor (Scotts S2348 with JD Power Flow Bagger). Thought I was getting alot more tractor when I bought it and am considering the upgrade (although I have sigificant opposition to this idea). My brother-in-law has a Kubota B7510 and loves it, so he is really pushing Kubota. I only have a 1 acre lot with alot of grass and some woods, so his tractor is even more over-kill than what I am thinking. My lot has some hills, one of which is my driveway and I am thinking this would be a good solution for my yard maintenance as well as winter cleanups.

Just surfing on the internet, it looks like the Kubota has the most to offer in the price range. I will be using the tractor for alot of grass mowing, but also mulching, cleaning out some of the woods and grading around my shed, and any other project that I can use it for. Just looking to save some time so I can do other fun things.....

I am thinking of the BX2230 with the FEL and 54" mower. I would love to get the 60" mower, but I am not sure it will fit through my shed doors and whatever I get must be able to fit in there. My reasoning for the BX2230 is that according to Chappell Tractor, this one can take a backhoe. I know I do not need to buy one, but maybe if I need to rent one sometime, at least this machine can take one. I already know of a couple of projects where a backhoe would be the right implement. Also, I really want the 4WD, not just for summer stuff, but when winter hits, I think it will help with my hilly driveway.

So here are a few questions...

What is my current tractor worth? Considering just selling it, but do not know where to price it. Only used 3 years, excellent condition.

Does the BX2230 really take a backhoe? Documentation does not show this on the Kubota web site. Is the BX23 is the only one that will do this?

I live in southern NH...Is there a recommended dealer out there for Kubota within reasonable distance where I can get the best price? So, far Chappell in Milford, NH quoted $13,295 with FEL and 60" MMM. Leahy (spelling?) in MA quoted $13000 with same plus the ballast weight for the back. Probably a little less if I go with the 54" deck. Did not get a BX23 quote, should I?

Am I wrong on value of Kubota versus others? Looks like the JD 2210 is more $

I am sure I can learn alot in this forum. Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks

/ Looking to get a sub-compact tractor - BX2230? #2  
First of all, Welcome to TBN! Sounds like you are looking at the right size of tractor. A BX2230 will take an aftermarket backhoe. Some here have the unit and like it. Renting one may prove to be a challenge. I don't know of a rental place in my area that would carry one. About the woods you would like to clear, the bx2230 does not have the ground clearance that your brother's machine has, but with care it can be done. I cleared 3 acres of woods with mine. If you are serious about the need for a backhoe, I would advise pricing the bx23. I have used my backhoe on my 23 much more than I had anticipated. Kubota does have good value in it's products, but you should not rule out the other brands. There are many fine machines out there. Go to some dealers of all brands and test a few and see what is the most comfortable for you. Good luck on your search /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Looking to get a sub-compact tractor - BX2230? #3  
Bob,

Just for comparison purposes, check out the JD 2210, the Cub Cadet 5234D (Their diesel model) and the Case/IH/New Holland TZ/DX25's. I found the JD and the Case/IH to be more expensive, but you could find the ergonomics more suitable for you, thus the rationale for the higher price. Aslo, the Case/IH/NH are a bit bigger.

I have received quotes for all 3 tractors, and I am going with the BX2230. For the BX2230 w/ FEL, 60"MMM and turf tires, I was quoted $12,663 delivered. For both the Case/IH/NH w/ the same set-up, I was quoted $13,950. The JD dealer only quoted me the 2210 w/ FEL at $12,950. I am sure a JD dealer would match or beat the Case/NH/IH price.

As for your needs, I have 1.25 acres, but I am goig to be doing heavy landscaping moving lots of rock, soil, tilling and mowing. I decided the size of the 2230 was a good fit. I have read other posts that say the 2230 can fit a backhoe, so it doesn't seem to be a big concern. The BX23 is about $14,500 to $15,500 with the backhoe.

Hope this helps a bit.

/ Looking to get a sub-compact tractor - BX2230? #4  
Bob, if you think you have a use for the backhoe in the future,check out the BX23 for sure. You can put the Woods BH on the 2230, but you might save a little $ in the long run to get the package now. I ended up with a JD 2210 with the woods Bh, and am very happy with it. While shopping, I got a price at Leahy's of 18,200 for a BX23, 60" front blade, ballast box, block heater, and 50 hour service package, and a few other small items, ended up paying $100 dollars more for the same package in Green. Good luck with your quest.

/ Looking to get a sub-compact tractor - BX2230? #5  
Welcome to TBN. If you decide to buy a Kubota BX2230 you will be happy with it - but I would suggest looking around a little at the competition beforehand just so you are sure when finally purchase. I bought a BX23 from Chappells last year and have been very happy with it so far. You can put the Woods Groundbreaker X backhoe on any of the SubCUT tractors that don't come from the factory with the backhoe already mounted. The Kubota BX23 and the Massey Ferguson GC2310 are the only factory supplied SubCUT tractors with backhoes. If you do some searching on TBN you will find postings from people who have put the Woods hoe on BX2230's, a BX1500, JD2210's, and I think I saw a Case DX with one mounted also. Chappells had a NH TZ24D with the Woods hoe mounted on it in their Milford store a couple of months ago and they had BX2230 with the Woods hoe mounted out there for a while also. You can see pictures of the Woods on the TZ here .

I am not sure of the cost differential between buying a BX2230 and the hoe from Woods vs. buying a BX23. The benefit to the Woods hoe is that you can get the tractor now and add the hoe later if your finances dictate. I have seen the Woods Groundbreaker for as little as $4000 on Ebay. I personally think that the Woods hoe is a good piece of equipment - it is well designed and mounts to the tractor in pretty much the same way the BX23 hoe mounts to the tractor.

You should look at the JD 2210, the NH TZ and the Massey GC. The JD has what I consider to be a major advantage over the other SubCUT tractors - the FEL has a quick attach on the bucket so that you can swap out buckets, or put forks or other attachments on the front.

If you are looking to compare SubCUT's below is a list of what is out there.

I have only listed what I believe to be current models - there are some older models out there on the used market if you are looking for used (Kubota BX2200 or BX22 for example)

Kubota
BX1530
BX1830
BX2230
BX23

John Deere

New Holland
TZ18
TZ25

Massey Ferguson
GC2300
GC2310

Simplicity
Legacy XL

Cub Cadet
5234D

Case
DX18E
DX22E
DX25E

/ Looking to get a sub-compact tractor - BX2230? #6  
Here is another thought. It may be hard to justify the BX2230 with your current lot size. Look into renting a Bob Cat for the weekend or something similar. Maybe that will be able to knock off your projects. For the price of a BX2230 you could rent a Bob Cat for a few weekends each year and you may come out ahead financially.

On the other hand I purchased a BX2230 instead of the rental route. I have a small yard to mow, less than 1 acre, but a lot of woods and seemingly never ending list of BX2230 projects.

It may be wise to try renting something similar for a weekend and see how it goes. You may end up saving a lot of money.

/ Looking to get a sub-compact tractor - BX2230? #7  
The BX 1530 has a 48 inch deck option. This is a smaller package which will fit your yard better. You can still buy implements that you might want down the road also.

/ Looking to get a sub-compact tractor - BX2230? #8  
...Including the Woods BH on the BX1500. It will work.

Because of the need of a subframe, I do not think that anyone will rent a BH to mount on your sub-compact tractor.

/ Looking to get a sub-compact tractor - BX2230? #9  
Welcome to TBN, Bob! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I recently purchased a Kubota BX1500 w/48"mmm and FEL to replace my ancient Cub Cadet 107 Lawn Tractor. I have 10 hrs on it so far, and I am very impressed with the performance of this machine. Mind you, it's not perfect. It does have its idiosyncracies, like any other tractor I suppose, but overall it seems to offer a good combination of power, versatility and value. I think the other posters' suggestions to try out a variety of models to see which is the best fit is a good idea, if you have dealers within a reasonable distance.

You mentioned "hilly" a couple times. One thing I did notice with the bx1500 in my 10 hours operating it so far is that it does lose a fair amount of power when ascending slopes. Of course, I haven't run it at 100% throttle yet (trying to follow break-in procedures) so that may be a factor.

You also mentioned fitting your new tractor through your shed door. I had the same issue, since I store my tractor in a storage barn with a 5 ft door. This is another reason why I went with the bx 1500 vs the 1830 or 2230, since the 1500 is the only model that accepts the 48" mmm. The smallest deck on the other models is 54", which I measured at 56.5" wide, without the deflector. This would have only allowed about 1" on either side of my doorframe. Too close for me. Also, be sure to consider the height of the door to allow for the ROPS which is standard on all bx's, and is not foldable on the 1500. I don't remember if you can get a foldable ROPS on the 1830 or 2230.

In addition to the other models listed for the subCUTS, I would also include the JD x series garden tractors. These seem closer in profile and footprint to the bx's than the JD2210, at least to me, and can be equipped similarly (FEL, 3ph, don't know about the backhoe, though). When I was shopping, those were the two choices I came down to. I selected the bx1500 because it seemed to offer the best combination of features and value for my needs, but I think the JD x series garden tractor is a very impressive, if costly machine.

Good luck with your search. I'm certain you'll get a wide variety of ideas and opinions here.

/ Looking to get a sub-compact tractor - BX2230? #10  
Concerning value, it seems that all these brands being considered hold their value very well. That's why few used ones are seen and when you do find them they're only slightly discounted from new. If you expect to sell in a few years, best to stick with the Big Three.

Your prices sound in line with others posted here. My price in Kansas was $13700 for a BX2230 with FEL 60"MMM and 48-in LandPride box blade. JD, NH/Case are more money but also bigger in size, which can be good or bad.

I just got my baby on monday and have put a couple hours on it. It's the best thing that's happened to me since I met the lovely Mrs. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif