Dealer Should I trust the dealer?

/ Should I trust the dealer? #1  

JBR

Tractor
bx1500-M5700
We are looking at buying a new L3830. The dealer has located a new one but it had been taken to another farmer, where he had left the key on and ran the battery dead. This caused the hour meter to read 72 hours. The dealer says that the tractor only has 2 hours of run time on it. Is it possible that the hour meter records when the key is on and tractor not running.

/ Should I trust the dealer? #3  
I thought that the hours on MOST tractors was somehow tied into the tach. It seems I put more hours on my tractor when mowing (rpms at around 2200) then when using the loader (rpms around 1800). Someone please clarify for me.
Thanks,

/ Should I trust the dealer? #4  
Is Messick Farm Equipment the dealer you're talking to? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's some text from the Kubota Warranty:
<font color="blue"> The length of the warranty is not the same for all models. Some models have a specified time period only (6 months, one year, etc.) while others have both a specified time as well as an hour meter limitation. In the latter case, the limitation first occurring (date or hours) determines whether or not a product is within the warranty period

BX, B, & L Series tractors - 24 MONTHS or 1500 HOURS (whichever occurs first) (Powertrain – 36 months or 2000 hours, whichever occurs first) </font>

I would make sure that the 70 hour discrepancy was noted in the purchase and warranty documents, if you pursue this.

/ Should I trust the dealer? #5  
KubotaSteve,
I think you are right in that the hour meters on MOST tractors are driven off the tach cable and indicate hours equivalent to a certain rpm. However, the Kubota Grand L 30 series has the big, comprehensive "electronic brain" display. It wouldn't surprise me if this system actually used run time rather than rpms as a gauge. If so, I would call it an engineering short cut as I prefer the other system.

Jeff

/ Should I trust the dealer? #6  
Here's a post from another Kubota dealer concerning the L3130 hour meter. It appears the that what the original poster's dealer was telling him is possible.

I might still be concerned about the 50 hour service. Do you do it now, just to be careful, and again at 120 hours? Or just wait till 120 hours?

/ Should I trust the dealer? #7  
I would only do it if I got an extra discount. When you resell there are going to be 72 hours you didnt use on there, whether the engine was on or off. I'd say get a deal, or get a truly "new" one.

/ Should I trust the dealer? #8  
Take a good look at the tractor for signs of wear and tear. I have less than 30 hrs on mine and couldn't hide the fact without significant effort. Scratches, nicks, paint chips, etc.

If you plan to have this dealer service your tractor in the future, you better decide to trust him or relationship will suffer.

Good luck.

/ Should I trust the dealer? #9  
We bought a JD lawn tractor from Home Depot with 25 hours on it, and it looked totally pristine. HD employee said that it had been left with the key in the on position by mistake and had not been used at all. We got 20% off /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ! Maybe you could get 20% off of retail from your Kubota dealer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif