Quarter inching valve v$ position control valve.

/ Quarter inching valve v$ position control valve. #1  

Ronster

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, John Deere X739, Kubota U27-4, Kubota RTV 500
I've noticed in spec sheets for the B series tractors the more expensive units use a position control valve instead of a quarter inching valve. Does this mean that with the quarter inching valve, the 3 pt hitch only goes up or down in 1/4" increments?

/ Quarter inching valve v$ position control valve. #2  
the quarter inching valve has stops located by the lever to allow for minute adjustment ( 1/4" at a time )
but if you pull or push the lever past the stops it will raise or lower like normal. I like the quarter inching valve arrangement better because of the fine adjustment feature. JMHO
David

/ Quarter inching valve v$ position control valve. #3  
<font color="blue"> I like the quarter inching valve arrangement better because of the fine adjustment feature... </font>

Mtrain,

"Better than what?" was the question that came to mind when I read the above.

For me, the quarter inching valve would be preferable to the standard 3PH control, but I certainly would not prefer it to the position control. I can move my 3PH with position control a hair if I want to by just tapping the control lever. But more important, I can put the hitch to the same position time and time again without even looking if I want to, using the position control (by using the adjustable stop that is in the slot).

Where I stand the pecking order is standard, quarter inching, and position control... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Quarter inching valve v$ position control valve. #4  
I've never used position control, but find the quarter inching on my B7800 is just fine. It does, however, leak down slowly; I need to raise the brush hog about 1" every 10 minutes of bouncing over rough terrain to maintain the cutting height.

Does position control hold the height without any leak down?

/ Quarter inching valve v$ position control valve. #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does position control hold the height without any leak down? )</font>

Yes. Position holds the position where you put it.

/ Quarter inching valve v$ position control valve. #6  
I think position control is something you have to own and use to really appreciate. I think it also somewhat depends on the jobs you use your three point hitch for. If your using it for a finish mower, then you'd bottom out the hitch and let it ride on the wheels. Position control doesn't help you there. If you're doing a lot of box blading, position control is a big advantage. I have a three point snowblower. I clear parts of my lawn to park my snowmobile trailer. I know exactly where to put my position control lever so I leave about an inch of snow, and I never dig up the grass. Big advantage for a job like that.

/ Quarter inching valve v$ position control valve. #7  
I agree that position control is the first preference. I find it hard to believe that my old 8N had it but my new B7510 doesn't.

Bill Tolle

/ Quarter inching valve v$ position control valve. #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the quarter inching valve has stops located by the lever to allow for minute adjustment ( 1/4" at a time )
but if you pull or push the lever past the stops it will raise or lower like normal. I like the quarter inching valve arrangement better because of the fine adjustment feature. JMHO
David )</font>

I just tried out a B7610 with the quarter inching valve, and frankly I don't get what it's really doing for me. I thought it would be like position control, except with preset stops 1/4" apart rather than the infinite stops you get with true position control. However, when the dealer showed me how to use it, the only difference from normal operation is that the 3PH moved up or down very slowly, giving you a more control over its positioning. I didn't see anything resembling position control, and I didn't see anything resembling moving it in 1/4 " increments.

I told the dealer I had expected that it would make it easy to move the 3PH back to a known position after temporaly moving it, such as whem making a temporary adjustment when grading and the front wheel roll over a high or low spot. He said it did not do this. Was I (and the dealer) missing something.

/ Quarter inching valve v$ position control valve. #9  
You can adjust the lower limit of the 3pt by a mechanical adjustment located under the seat and by the right tire. Once set, the rear implement will be lowered to that spot after it is raised. I don't use this, however, i slow the speed down by turning the 3pt speed/lock valve and then feather the rear blade for example up or down when on uneven terrain.

i have no experience with the position control. but for me the setup on the 7610 is acceptable.

/ Quarter inching valve v$ position control valve.
Seapea, I just tried out a B7610 and was disappointed in the 1/4 in valve. The 3pt hitch moved up and down way too slow with no means of adjusting the speed. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif When you move the control lever out to bypass the 1/4 in feature, the 3pt. will float down ok according to how you set the little hyd knob , but when the hitch lever is raised, the hitch shot up way too fast. I'm looking at up grading a little, maybe the B2630.