ended up with a B7800

/ ended up with a B7800 #1  
Tractor
Kubota B7800
Strange thing happened when I was all set to sign the papers on a L3130 - the salesman talked me into a 4wd B7800 that was smaller and less expensive but had about the same horsepower and Hydrostatic standard. It was quite a bit less money but I haven't researched the thing as much as the L series. I'm going to be doing a lot of loader work in tight spots and the smaller frame seemed like a better choice.
Does this model have any vulnerabilities that I should know about? Under carriage easily damaged or anything else? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ ended up with a B7800 #2  
Doug, there are a lot of folks with the B7800 and its near twin the B2910 who are very happy with the machine. I use a B2910 and can't really find anything wrong with it, its a model year 2000 and never needed a repair. The loader doesn't have the capacity of the L3130 but it is going to fit into places the L series simply can't get into!

/ ended up with a B7800
Thanks Bob - I didn't look at the 2910 - what are the differences?

/ ended up with a B7800 #4  
Well first, the B2910 was just discontinued, so the big difference is you can still get a B7800!

The B7800 comes in 2 option levels if I understand it correctly. I think those with HST also include a mid-PTO and perhaps another goodie or two. The B2910 comes standard with the mid-PTO. It also had a suspension seat with armrests, adjustable lower links, and a folding ROPS. Both use the same engine, if both are equiped with HST then both have the same HST unit, and both are built on the same frame. Its more whistles and bells that separated them with only a few functional differences.

/ ended up with a B7800
I sure would have liked to have your seat instead of what's on mine - armrests come in handy when your putting in a long day. I won't be changing implements much though the folding ROPS would have been nice.

/ ended up with a B7800 #6  
I don't know if the hst are different between the B7800 and b2910, I know the B3030 which takes the place of the B2910 is different from my L2800.
The B3030 comes to a stop smoother. The B7800 should do a fine job for ya.

/ ended up with a B7800 #7  
Doug,

I've had my B7800 for a year now, and all things considered, I'm very happy with it. Like you, I had some tight spots I've had to get into and the smaller frame made the difference. Having cut my teeth on much older tractors, I never really missed some of the lux items of the B2910 (now B3030). I have yet to find a situation where the B7800 couldn't do the job on my 10 acres. The only thing I'm not crazy about it the quarter inching valve. I would much more prefer the position control valve of the B3030 or L series when mowing or fine tuning the box blade, rock rake, etc., but I guess it's a fair trade off for the money saved.

/ ended up with a B7800 #8  
Doug,

I too have had my B7800 for just about a year. Actually, eleven months and sixteen days since delivery but who counts? I love it. It has been up to any task I have set for it and always had power to spare. The smaller size was a real blessing when I am working close into the house or barn. Also, found out this winter that having a smaller tractor was real nice for clearing snow from a weird shaped driveway with a couple cars in it.

Complaints? Few, but I do have one. The B7800 comes with a check chain set up for the 3PH arms. I really wish I had the telescoping stabilizers. A neighbor has those on his Deere and let me say that backing up to an implement is a lot easier if the arms are in the righ position. Mine always want to fold in so I do a lot of in and out of the seat to get it lined up.

Other than that the only other desire is TNT, oh and a backhoe, well, and more implements... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Enjoy,

Mike

/ ended up with a B7800 #9  
Doug,

I had a problem with the plastic cover on the front driveshaft on my B2910. I honestly don't know if I somehow got a stick up there to damage it, or if it was somehow not put on right to begin with and damaged itself. My dealer was good enough to repair it under warranty.

Anyway, I made a little plate to bolt to the loader frame for protection. I have used my B2910 to move hundreds of tons of fill dirt, and many times saw and impression in the ground where my little skid plate slid along in the dirt. I think this driveshaft cover could be a weak spot if you are going to be doing a lot of loader work where your wheels may be sinking into the dirt.

The following thread has some pictures towards the end. My posts there show up as "poster" as it was a thread from back before some of us got "erased" here...

Skid Plates/Belly Pans Anyone?

There are a couple filters hanging on the side of the transimission case. And the fuel filter may be hanging out exposed a bit, but neither of these things have been a problem for me. I know at least one person reported a stick knocking off his fuel filter in the past.

All in all the B7800/B2910 is a pretty good tractor. I have 560+ hours on mine to date (almost three years old now) and have been quite happy with it. A lot of that was loader work...I often thought it would be nice to have more protection "down under" but never got around to doing more and never had the need to so far...(hopefully not famous last words... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif )

/ ended up with a B7800
I took delivery this morning and got my first hour of seat time - YEEEEEHAAAA!!
She's a little light when digging in the hard clay with the FEL but nothing I can't work around and it still works even though the soil is very dry and packed right now - takes a little longer do do things than I'd hoped (still a lot less time than my old tractor) but until we get a decent rain here there's nothing I can do about that - guess it'll just mean I have to spend a little longer on the tractor (what a shame /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). Plenty of power and small enough to get in even the tightest spots - I'm glad I didn't go for the 3130, it would definately not have been able to get into some of these areas nearly as well.