BX2230 Arrived today - Exceeds Expectations

/ BX2230 Arrived today - Exceeds Expectations #1  

Mercantileman

My BX2230 arrived today. This is my first tractor. I ordered it with 60" MMM, FEL, 60" rear blade, bar tires, and post hole digger w/9" auger.

The primary job of this tractor will be mowing about 5 acres of yard and field. I must admit that I was a bit concerned that a subcut would be up to the job, as my terrain is hilly and very difficult to mow with my Sears riding mower, which gets stuck at least 100 times during mowing. Each time, I have to lean way out to one side to transfer enough weight so the wheels will stop spinning. I was concerned that the 2230 would likewise get stuck.

Today, I mowed about 3 acres and this little tractor totally exceeded my expectations. Not once did the wheels spin. I never had to engage 4WD. I never even needed to use the differential lock to lock the rear wheels. And the quality of the mowing was actually better than with the Sears rider. And to add my 2-cents regarding "bar' or 'turf' tires, I got the bar tires and they left absolutely no tracks in the yard.

I mowed about 1 acre of field that hadn't been mowed since August. The grass was thick and about a foot high. I moved the mower to the TOP position. It had no problem at all going through the tall grass. The cut certainly wasn't a 'finish' cut, but it did every bit as well as the gasoline-powered rough cut mower I used to use to cut the field. If I mow it again in a couple days at perhaps a 4-inch level, I think the quality of the cut will be excellent.

The other comment I have is that I was surprised how close I could mow around objects. Since the mower deck sticks out further than the wheels, it is easier to mow around trees than with the Sears rider.

So based upon todays experiences, 1) I will sell my Sears rider, and 2) I will sell the rough cut mower. When winter comes, if I can plow my 600-ft driveway with the FEL, I will then sell my pickup truck with snow plow and also my 4-wheeler that has a snow blade on it.

I had wanted to buy the New Holland subcut because it had the Sensitrac transmission that would automatically switch from 2wd to 4wd when wheel slippage was detected. The dealer wanted a full $2,000 more for the New Holland TC25 comparably equipped and it just wasn't worth the $2000 difference to me. Based upon today's mowing, I doubt that the Sensitrac would ever have shifted to 4wd.

One other thing. My mowing time was cut in half, compared to the 42" Sears rider. I could not be more pleased with my new Kubota. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ BX2230 Arrived today - Exceeds Expectations #2  
<font color="blue">When winter comes, if I can plow my 600-ft driveway with the FEL, I will then sell my pickup truck with snow plow and also my 4-wheeler that has a snow blade on it. </font>

Mercantileman,

Always great to hear a happy new owner's report! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would not sell that pickup too quick though...with the plow on the pickup you probably can do you driveway faster and in greater comfort than you would on the BX without a cab.

Also, the FEL is not the greatest tool for snow removal off a drive. You really want to use your rear blade angled for that (at least that is what works the best for me). The FEL is a great tool for stacking the snow if you need to do that though...

Have fun... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif