DIFFERENCE BETWEEN B,L AND M SERIES?

/ DIFFERENCE BETWEEN B,L AND M SERIES? #1  

BASIC

Hi guys,I'm a landscaper in northern NJ.I'm starting to look for a tractor to use for brush hogging,lawn renovation,new lawn instilation,snow removal and small log skidding.I don't know anything about small tractors.I do understand Kubota is one of the better brands and I also have a dealer in my county(also a JD and a CC).I"d like something of at least 30 HP.What are the differences between the B,L and M sereis tractor?I read on the Kubota web-site that the M has diff locks,does the B and L offer them as well?It also said the L series offers a gear trans is it syncro(sp)?Can any one give me a rough idea of pricing between the various models?I have othe questions that are more general that I'll post on the other board.Any suggestions?Thankyou,BASIC.

/ DIFFERENCE BETWEEN B,L AND M SERIES? #2  
If you are looking for something about 30 hp then you probably would look at the B7800 or the B3030. The B7800 is a basic machine, the B3030 is a deluxe full featured machine. Both are LIGHTWEIGHT tractors at 30 hp. Both are small tractors for the class so they would fit into places larger machines won't fit. Both are also easy to trailer behind a normal pick-up or SUV. The L3130 is on the other end of the size & weight spectrum, being large and heavy, it is a 32 hp tractor. In between the 2 B tractors and the L3130 is the L3400, it is smaller and lighter than the L3130 and it is also more of a basic tractor with few bells and whistles. I'm not too knowledgeable abou the L3400 so I'll leave that to someone else. The M series tractors are larger & heavier, none are in the 30 hp range that I know of, I will leave those out of the discussion.

The L3130 is one of the grand L series machines. It comes with either a HST transmission or gear. With the 723 loader, it has more capacity than any of the roughly 30hp tractors I know of on either the FEL or the 3pt hitch. It is also feature laden with comfort features that make sitting in the seat for long periods at least tolerable.

The B7800 is available in a couple configurations, with or without a mid-PTO. It also offers either gear or HST options. Its pretty basic but it is a nice compact workhorse. The B3030 is essentiall a B7800 but upgraded in virtually every possible respect except both share the same general frame and engine.

/ DIFFERENCE BETWEEN B,L AND M SERIES? #3  
Go back to the Kubota site and look. It is primarily horsepower and size. They can all be had with almost if not identical options. B's are less than 30 hp, L's are 31 to 50 hp,M's are 43 to 100hp+. A generalization not exact but B's are 1700lb, l's are 2600lb, M's are 3700lb+

/ DIFFERENCE BETWEEN B,L AND M SERIES? #4  
I have the L3400DT (34.7hp with gears) -- great machine!

Light enough to not tear up your lawns (if reasonably dry), excellent power to weight ratio, very sturdy construction, tight transmission, super fast loader cycling, super cheap when compared to the competition in my area. Yes, it has a diff. lock and now comes with a hydrostatic (HST) transmission. At around 2600 lbs, it is not a feather-weight, but can really be loaded down with extra ballast if necessary for heavy loader work -- tons of extra hp there to take the load.

I checked out the B series machines -- beauties, but they had more frills than I needed/felt like paying for. The competition couldn't match the price, financing, and service in my neck of the woods (JD, Kioti, MF).

Final decision came down to hp/$$. The L3400DT is a no nonsense working tractor -- plenty fun to drive, but you don't get cup-holders, etc.

Last thought: if you are a professional landscaper, you might want to give serious consideration to an hst model. Although I hate having to keep the rpm so high to get the performance from the hst, you will probably be running there anyways to get your jobs done as fast as possible. Split second direction changes, frequent loader work and changing mowing speeds would likely make this transmission more suited to your needs, too, I would think. Also, having employees grind the gears on your DT model might make you wish you had purchased the HST.

Sorry to talk so much, I just can't say how much I love this machine compared to all the others I have used "growing up on the farm".

Shawn

PS. Bob S. (and others) give some of the best advice you can find anywhere! Sure helped me.