Buying Advice Buying advice

/ Buying advice #1  

Crockett

Hello everyone,

I'm finally moving on from my old MF20 from the 60's. Things have sure changed with tractors in the last 30 years, ha, ha.

I'm requesting any advice you might have on choosing between a Kubota L2800HST and L3400HST. I have about 5 acres of lawn and 5 acres of pasture and another 8 acres of woods and misc. yard landscaping. I'm trying to choose the best all-around tractor to handle all the mowing/bush hogging and landscaping. I was quoted $16,500 for a Kubota L2800HST with FEL and about $17,500 for the L3400HST with FEL. I would like to also purchase a 5' rotary mower and 6' pull behind finish mower. I'll also need to do some occassional bucket work and maybe a little discing. Any advice on price and tractor choice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

/ Buying advice #3  
Check out the recent posts about the "L2800 HST problem pulling RFM".
I'm looking at a 6' RFM myself and I really don't suspect I'll have a problem based upon my engines ability to get power to the ground for dirt work. But mine's a gear unit.
It sounds like the HST saps a bit of power and the L3400 HST might be a better bet for you.

/ Buying advice #4  
You have experience on a 1960's tractor -- geared, I presume. Are you set on having the HST?

I thought there wasn't any other way to go after reading here for 6 months or so. I have plenty of experience on the 1950-1980's geared tractors you mention, and wanted something better if I was buying new.

After months of considering and test driving (nearly every week at various dealers), I ended up giving the L3400DT a try just so I could say I had an open mind and had even tested the lowly geared machines. Boy, was I ever impressed! These aren't the trany's you are used to...yes, things have improved a great deal.

Lower purchase price, more hp (none used up with the HST), lower average rpm used while operating (HST seems to work best with the rpm set somewhere over 2300 or so), and...ultimately...a great 'fit' for me.

I ended up with the L3400DT, loader, 73" RFM ('7 iron'), R4 industrial tires, and I picked up a JD513 rotary mower (bush-hog) for the trails. I have found this unit to be just about right for my very hilly 17 acres (?4 acres to mow). I could even find a low 40 hp unit appropriate...any larger and I think I'd get too tangled up on the lawn with trees, flowers, etc.

Have fun trying them all out.

Shawn

/ Buying advice #5  
Do yourself a favor and go to the L3400. I looked at both of them recently and while I am a Kubota owner (B2910) I can tell you there is absolutely no way I would buy the L2800. It is probably my least favorite tractor of all current models. It is at best a crude machine built for price. Now I'm not saying it won't do the job, but what I am saying is that there are better machines in the same price range from several manufacturers. The L3400 is a far better tractor. Just my opinion.

By the way looks like the other thread about the problem with the L2800 pulling the finish mower is a problem with the tractor itself. In theory it should have roughly the same power as my B2910 and there is no problem with a B2910 and a 6' mower deck. I think a lot of folks (myself included) felt it was operator error, but it looks like a mechanical issue.

/ Buying advice #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Lower purchase price, more hp (none used up with the HST), lower average rpm used while operating (HST seems to work best with the rpm set somewhere over 2300 or so), and...ultimately...a great 'fit' for me.
)</font>

I normally run my B7510 HST between 1,700 and 2,000 RPM when doing FEL work. Only time I run over 2,000 is when bushhogging.

True, you do lose a little HP with an HST but it is a trade off that I am more than willing to make for the ease of operation. For loader work, and I would imagine for mowing, the HST saves time and effort.

You also have better control over your ground speed. You can go from "creep" to "movin' on" with a touch of your toe.

My first HDT trans was a Sears 42" riding mower and I couldn't believe how much more convenient it was than a geared model.

The one thing you have to remember is to back off the pedal if you are starting to bog down. The less pedal you give an HST the more torque you have. That means you have to slow down a little but your PTO does not slow down.

If I am bushhogging and hit a tall patch I just back off the pedal a little so the mower doesn't bog down and keep moving. Once out of the tall spot I can pick my ground speed back up and move on.

Bill Tolle

/ Buying advice #7  
I purchased a L3400dt (gear) and like it. I used the tractor for mowing, box blading, and firewood hauling. The shuttle shift works good as long as the tractor is stopped when making the shift. There is plenty of power and great manuverablity. The lift is fast, but in my opinion it is to jerky and shakes the tractor. The L3400 is to light and needs weight added for more traction even with 4 wheel drive. If you do alot of heavy bush hogging the front grill could use a grill guard. Overall it is a good tractor for the price. The going price for the L3400dt in Aug. of 2004 was $12,500 without FEL.

/ Buying advice
Thanks,

I definately want the HST and it looks like the 3400 might be the better choice for me. I've had different dealers differ on whether the 2800 will handle a 6' rotary mower, but they all agree the 3400 would do fine. I'm a little worried the extra weight will more likely tear up the grass during mowing, but it still sounds like a good choice for all around use.

Thanks again for the advice.

/ Buying advice #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm a little worried the extra weight will more likely tear up the grass during mowing, )</font>

Do not use 4 wheel drive while mowing and make wider turns where possible, especially if the grass is wet. That should minimize damage.

You might also adjust the air pressure downward. Lower air pressure makes for a wider "footprint" which makes for less pounds per square inch of pressure on the lawn.

Some of the folks who mow their lawns might be able to chime in with advice on what air pressure to use.

Bill Tolle

/ Buying advice #10  
I don't think weight will be an issue, Crockett. As I recall, the weights of the L2800 and L3400 are within 100 lbs of each other. The L3400 is bigger in terms of HP only.

I agree with schole's assessment of the Gear/HST thing. My geared L4300DT putters around and gets most of its (non-PTO) work done between idle and 1300RPM. It's satisfying feeling the grunt that thing has even at those low engine speeds. I know I wouldn't be using those power settings if I had HST. Though for tiller or snowblower work, I think an HST would be hard to beat.

Besides, you've gotta be suspicious of guys who, on one hand, brag about how quickly and easily they can get their jobs done using HST and then, on the other hand, are always looking for more "seat time". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Bob