BX2230 review & opinions (long)

/ BX2230 review & opinions (long) #1  

mhagerty

Tractor
BX2230
Below is my review of the BX2230, sorry for the long rambling review but it’s a slow day at work today. I purchased my BX2230 in Feb of 05 with the help of many on this forum. I wanted to do this review for a couple of reasons, try to contribute to the forum and to help others who may be interested in the BX2230.

Disclaimer – I am a beginner in the tractor world so this is a rookie suburban user review.

First, my reasons for considering an upgrade to the tractor world was that It was taking too much time to mow my 2.5 acres of lawn with my MTD garden tractor (approx 3.5+ hours). The MTD was 8 years old and needed several hundred dollars of repairs (it only cost $1600 when new). I also wanted more versatility with a machine, moving loam, mulch, clearing driveway, etc. Lastly, I wanted a machine that would last; the MTD pretty much needed some kind of service every year (after the first 2 years) and I’m not talking about the regular maintenance type stuff.

After doing the typical research that we all do I was leaning towards the BX1500 but after reading and hearing the opinions of many here on the forum I decided to upgrade to the BX2230. I also really wanted the 60 inch MMM to cut down on my mowing time, the biggest deck on the BX1500 is the 54-inch deck.

Some quick facts, I have 33 hours on the BX2230 with approx 10 of those hours from mowing and the rest using the FEL. I also have the bagger unit as well.

Now for the review,

The BX2230 - The build quality of these machines is outstanding, especially when you’re used to the Home Depot type lawn/garden tractors. There is no doubt in my mind that this machine will last 25+ years with the proper maintenance. The ergonomics of the machine (for me) are great; I really “fit” this machine (5’10’ 170lbs). The engine runs smooth and is much more quit than I thought it would be, in fact, my wife commented on the first time she heard it that “it makes less noise than the other one”.

I cannot tell you how awesome power steering and the hydraulic mower lift is, this thing is just a joy to drive. Kubota needs to add some sort of parking brake light for dummies like me who occasionally start driving around with it still engaged. I would also like to see a better alternator come standard on this machine. I had the dealer add a couple of flood lights as well as a block heater but would like to add a couple more lights but can’t unless I add the upgraded alternator for a few hundred bucks. I would like to see more effective headlights but I think that is directly related to the alternator issue. I find the seat very comfortable and it seems to be well made but only time will tell. I do keep my tractor out of the direct weather under a four-season porch but it’s not completely enclosed.

60” MMM - The cut quality is excellent; I have one of those finished lawns you find in suburbia so the cut quality matters to me. I’m amazed at the speed that I can my lawn and have the quality of the cut stand up. I have cut my mowing time down from 3 hours 30 min. to about 1 hour 50 min. I am also impressed that this machine will cut grass that is 7 or 8 inches long like butter, my old machine would bog down on grass that got above 4 inches and would not cut at all above 5 inches. I don’t let the grass get that long very often but depending on the weather it can happen and it’s nice to know that it’s not going to be a major nightmare when I do get out there. The noise level of the tractor and MMM together is not that bad although I do wear ear protection to be on the safe side.

Bagger – Works fantastic! I’ve never had a bagger with a vacuum in it and the difference it makes is huge (at least compared to what I’m used to). This thing sucks up everything including pine needles. I have not removed or installed it as of yet and it’s well known that it’s a pain in the **** but it’s something I’ll have to deal with. I do wish the bags would hold more than 9 bushels, seems like there is plenty of room for larger bags (this could/should be an option you choose at purchase time). Kubota also needs to improve the install/removal process. If you’re like me and you need a bagger for whatever reason I highly recommend it.

FEL – I was not going to get the FEL at first but at the insistence of this group and my dealer, I’m sure glad I did, it was one of the best decisions I’ve made concerning the tractor! I’ve gotten more use out of the FEL than I have out of the MMM. When I first received the machine in Feb. I used it to plow my driveway (500’ long). The FEL does not replace a blade or a snow blower but it does get the job done and it was also a great way to practice using the FEL. It only took about an hour to get the controls down for basic operation of the FEL; it then took me several more hours of practice to learn the finer aspects of loader work.

Currently, my main use of the FEL is moving loam around the yard for different projects. I just recently moved 20 yards of loam in about 3 hours, before this machine I would have used a shovel and dump trailer and it would have taken me days to do it. I’m also ripping up some turf in areas that are not growing well. I also use it to move mulch, firewood and anything else that I can’t lift on my own.

As far as ballast goes, I do not have filled tires and I only have the bagger on the back. I would imagine that the bagger and it’s parts weigh somewhere between 100lbs – 200lbs (?) and this must add some ballast because I have not had any problems with stability when moving overflowing buckets of loam or anything else. I am moving material across flat property with the bucket as low as possible at all times.

I have added a couple of hooks to the bucket, which I use pretty often, definitely a mod worth doing. I also added a tooth bar; another must have if you plan on any digging.

Below is the price I paid. The bottom line for me is that this has been an excellent purchase and I don’t regret for a second! My only big problem is that I already want to upgrade, the 3030 looks like an incredible machine. My plan for now is to keep the BX2230 for 3 years and then trade up.

I hope this help in some way for those interested in the BX2230.

Mike

BX2230 - $8399
FEL - $2399
60 deck - $1499
bagger/blower - $1600
Canopy - $375
Grill guard - $120
Floodlights - $140
Block heater - $40
Buckets Hooks (2) $10
Tooth Bar $160

Total - $14,742

/ BX2230 review & opinions (long) #2  
Very good review. You should post in the review section if you haven't already. I'm sure a lot of soon to be owners will find your info helpful.