hours

/ hours #11  
but ain't that great for all us old timers that don't need a big tractor anymore? then went to a compact to do small chores on our reduced plots. when it is time to sell/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif then we will have a great group to sell to at a good price/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ hours
Thanks for the info. I think I am going to save some trouble and spend a
few $$$ extra and buy a brand new tractor.

I just recently traded a L245DT with just less than 2600 hours (you wouldn't be in the southern tier of NY?) The reason for trading wasn't that the tractor was worn out, but that the technology has moved forward and, in my advancing need for creature comforts, I upgraded to some things that the old tractor didn't have.

The old tractor was used regularly until the new machine was delivered. It started in sub zero (F) weather, didn't burn oil, and worked as well when I traded it as when I bought it with about 1000 hours on the clock. In fact, the dealer, when he came over to appraise the machine for the trade, had to wait while I drove back from my lower field that I was tilling. One just can't let a good machine sit idle.

The upgrade - 5 more PTO HP, larger capacity FEL, power steering/power brakes (sorry HST), better ergonomics, mid PTO, 1000 lbs additional weight (this makes a big difference in traction), etc, etc.

Regarding buying a new tractor - you can review the thread started by Schooner, Kubota L3010 vs. JD 4300 vs. NH TC33D. I discussed the fact that the old 245DT out performed a brand new L3010HST (made me buy a blue instead of orange and generated some debate in the thread). The conclusion that I draw about this is that hours alone are not the deciding factor in a purchase decision for a tractor. If my only choice, when I traded, was that L3010, I would have kept the old machine, not because it was more comfortable to use, but because it did the job.