How "fresh" is a new tractor?

/ How "fresh" is a new tractor? #1  

topshop

Bronze Member
How \"fresh\" is a new tractor?

I am curious to know how to tell which model year a tractor is and to know how long it has been sitting on a sales lot. I have been given every story, including that there aren't model years for tractors. I would like to be able to determine for myself. Hints, anyone?

/ How "fresh" is a new tractor? #2  
Re: How \"fresh\" is a new tractor?

Sounds like you are picking out a vegetable. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How "fresh" is a new tractor?

Yeah, but I just don't want a lemon!

/ How "fresh" is a new tractor? #4  

You should be able to tell the year from the serial number. How long it's been on the lot is another story!

/ How "fresh" is a new tractor? #5  

I was told there are no model years also. Then I went to trade my b7500 in and they asked me several times "what year is it?"

/ How "fresh" is a new tractor? #6  

Unlike autos, tractors do not have a model year. The common way the "year" isdetermined is by the date the tractor was put into service, the day it was first sold.

That was what I was told by a Kubota area rep and has been confirmed by many on this forum.

The only way to determine how long it has been on a sales lot is to ask the dealer.

Again, tractors are not like autos. They are made to sit out in the weather and not be started for long periods of time. I had a couple of 8N's and they would sometimes not be started for several months. And neither of them had probably spent a day indoors even though they were both built in about 1950-1952.

Bill Tolle

/ How "fresh" is a new tractor? #7  

What's the difference in setting at a dealership with the wheels/tires on and setting in a crate without wheels/tires?

Seems to me if the wheels/tires are on the tractor has been started several times, and moved around....

Check the hour meter too...

/ How "fresh" is a new tractor? #8  

A lot of folks ask us the same question. What year is it?
Unlike cars, we know of no specific date that a tractor model transitions from one model year to the next. We date tractors based not on their manufacture date but on their invoice date. That's the date the tractor arrived on our lot.

However, it is true that dealers don't really care what model year a trade-in is. What we look at hours, and condition.

/ How "fresh" is a new tractor? #9  

I would agree here.

btolle, does sold me to the dealer or to the customer?

/ How "fresh" is a new tractor? #10  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would agree here.

btolle, does sold me to the dealer or to the customer? )</font>

From what I understand it means the date the tractor was bought by the end user (you or me). That is what the Kubota factory service man told me. That is also when the warranty starts.

Bill Tolle