Dealer Dealing with Rude Dealers

/ Dealing with Rude Dealers #1  

TheBigO

I`ve been getting quotes from 6 different dealers the last few days. I have run into a couple of rude dealers along the way. One guys was very sarcastic because he knew i was shopping around. Another seemed annoyed also. He said i was wasting my time and theirs by calling 2 days in a row. Geez, my long distance calls have payed for themselves 100 fold so i`m not wasting my time. I thought it was his job to sell tractors, how could i be wasting his time. This is how it`s done isn`t it? Call dealers to see how low i can get the price. This guy said he`d beat anybody and not to call back till i get the bottom price. As far as i`m concerned, he just lost a sale and he will get another call. He will beat the price and i`ll tell him thanks anyway. There`s your waste of time. Dealer is Key`s out of Reynoldsville, PA. Any comments on this sort of thing?

steve

/ Dealing with Rude Dealers #2  
Steve, it does make you wonder how some of them stay in business. I've been to the three nearest John Deere dealers in my area; none were "rude" or said or did anything "wrong" but they just act like they're doing you a favor to even speak to you and don't know why you're there in the way. I've been in 5 Kubota dealerships. Four of them tried to be helpful, but one gave me a price and told me I wouldn't be able to beat it (I did). Another, when he found out I had a motorhome for sale at the time, said he wanted to buy it and would sell me a tractor at his cost if I'd come down on the price of the motorhome, then when he told the price (his cost supposedly), he was the highest of the 4 I'd been to at that time. When I told him I could buy the tractor cheaper elsewhere, he started literally screaming at me that I hadn't told him I'd been shopping around. Needless to say, I haven't been back to that dealership and he's the closest one to me. Of course, I know there are lots of ways to negotiate price, but I visited the dealerships to look at what was available to decide what I wanted, let them give me a price, and didn't try to negotiate. Then when I was ready to buy, I called 3 dealers, told them exactly what I wanted and asked, "What's the best deal you can give me?" I didn't tell any of them what price the other dealers had quoted; I just bought from the one who quoted the best price.

Bird

/ Dealing with Rude Dealers #3  
I both enjoy and hate (wierd aint it) the process of haggling to buy something. With cars you can get almost exact dealer invoice prices on the web, so it really makes the dealers mad when you tell them exactly what the car cost them and how much you are willing to pay. I cant tell you how many times Ive gotten, "Well WE pay more than that for OUR vehicles", or "Our dealership couldnt survive is we sold them for that price", or "Our salesmen are professionals, with families to feed"

This is all a crock in my opinion. If I know that the best price is X dollars, then by gosh , I want to pay X.

Luckily, in my area (WV), tractor prices, for Kubota's at least, are among the best in the nation already, so I shouldnt have much trouble this fall when I get ready to buy.

I had a similar experience with a Deere dealer, BTW. Went in one saturday morning, and the salesman was shooting the breeze with a friend of his. I had to break into the conversation to get any help at all. Amazing that a potential paying customer could come into a place of business and be completely ignored.

/ Dealing with Rude Dealers #4  
Big O,
You might want to try SMARDT EQUIPMENT and GREENHILL FARMS. Both are dealers in your area.

/ Dealing with Rude Dealers #5  
i have found that being straight forward is the best approach, ask for the owner or deal maker, tell him that you want to buy it from him but price is a major concern and go from there. you can tell right away from there reaction if this is going to work or not. so if it doesn't go to the next dealer. i bought a 7500hsd with r-4 tires, three suitcase weights for 9600.00 this way. he also gave me 20% off on a rihno shreder and box blade.

/ Dealing with Rude Dealers
So far i think my negotiating tactics are doing ok. L3010hst 4wd r4`s rops ballast and woods 1016 fel for 17,500 from 2 dealers. (one is greenhill). pretty sure i can come down alittle more. this guy's sarcasm made me sick and he lost a sale no matter how good he does. If i buy from him, i`ll certainly will have to deal with him in the future and that doesn`t sit too well. I mean i am going to spend about 20,000, show me some respect. :)

steve

/ Dealing with Rude Dealers #7  
I WON'T DEAL WITH RUDE or uninterested, dealers of any sort. have no idea where u are in pa, but i am in ny, but i bought my tractor from RITENHOUR LAWN CENTER. in butler pa.although it was a used machine they ans. my e mails promtly, set up apt. for me to drive 172 mi. , had the tractor inside for me to look at spent 1.5 hrs going over the machine. and let me take it out and move some snow and dirt. then once we agrred on price they del. at no additional cost(sure that was built in to final price) u might want to check them out if it ain't too far. ask for tony. nice guy to deal with.don't take any bull---t from anyone. u are the boss.

/ Dealing with Rude Dealers #8  
O,

I called around and got a slight amount of greef over the phone, but was up-front with the dealers. I called all over including Canada and New Hampshire. I'm in Vermont. I got the best price I could get from a huge dealership near Saratogo, NY and then told my local dealer what they quoted me. He said he couldn't do it, but he could do this, which was the "lowest he could go" and I just accepted it. It was a good price. I do believe that the dealers need to make some money on these things.....it's business. I got $500 bucks or so knocked off and I was happy.

Essex Equipment in Essex, Vermont is a fair dealership that treated me right. I think they've sold 59 BXs in the last year and a half! Amazing. Bad dealerships are not the norm...although I have had my fair share of cocky JD dealer encounters.

/ Dealing with Rude Dealers #9  
I had a dealer tell me that 'he had the last one in the State, the ones on order were already sold, and if I wanted one (Kubota ZD21) I would have to wait until next Spring because HE was going to get the next units.' Two days later I closed the deal at HIS nearest Kubota competitor for almost $1000. less money!

Screw those jerkoffs.

-Ben

/ Dealing with Rude Dealers #10  
WOW, that sounds like our salesman......