Hook

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010
As I reported in other postinfgs, I have narrowed my choice of tractors down to
- Kubota B2910
- New Holland TC29D
- JD 4200

In the last 2 days I had the chance to get quotes & take test rides on all 3. Here are my first impressions & current thinking ...

Ergonomics:

Regarding the seating & control position, the Kubota wins hands down in my book. Now, mind you, my tractor driving time is now up to 30 minutes (10 minutes on each tractor), so take this with a big grain of salt.

I found the deck on the NH to be a major pain. It is not flat, but has a hump (like the rear-wheel drive, some of us old farts remember :). I thought this wouldn't matter, but it made it very difficult to get in & out of the seat & I felt simply cramped, as my feet kept hitting the hump. I also found the seat to be less comfortable than the others.

The JD seating position was great, but it seemed to me that the controls were in less obvious/useful positions. Since I have effectively no tractor time, this might turn out to be a non-issue. But first impressions count, so ...

Price:

Here are the prices I was quoted (tractor + FEL):

Kubota B2910: $17,900
NH TC25D: $17,700
JD 4200: 18,500

Notice that the price was for a TC25D, NOT a TC29D. I was originally considering the 29D, but deciced to drive & price the 25D. I'm not sure what made me do this, but after seeing the price, I'm glad I did.

Now these are prices without any bargaining or shopping on my part. So I assume I could reduce the prices some. But then all of these prices would go down.

Based on this, I'm about to nuke HN from my list & focus on the JD & Kubota. To my mind, they're just about equal at this point (Kubota better on some points, JD better on others). I think I'm gonna make a chart comparing the 2 (including my impression of the dealers I met) & see if that helps me differentiate between them.

Thoughts?

Hook

/ Initial Impressions of KB2910, NHTC29D, JD4200 #2  
I do believe you're going to buy a Kubota, which I knew all along was best./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird

/ Initial Impressions of KB2910, NHTC29D, JD4200 #3  
i basicly did the same as u checked them all out orange, green, blue and even purple, threw out purple post haste, then threw ot blue, then threw out green, ended up with orange/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif nothing is perfect, but kubota has been ok by me.

/ Initial Impressions of KB2910, NHTC29D, JD4200 #4  
Hello Hook,
I was in your shoes several months ago. I looked at JD 4300, NH (I think it was the TC 34), and the Kubota 2910. The one thing I really liked about the JD was the hydrostatic pedals. They are mounted beside each other, and it was very easy to change directions. But, I bought the Kubota 2910, and except for the way they designed the hydro pedals, I love it. I have fairly big feet, and on several occasions when climbing back on the tractor, I have stepped on the reverse pedal just enough to get my attention. I haven't landed on the hood yet, but I could see that happening if I were really tired and the lighting was poor. That is my only real design complaint about the tractor. Other than that, I have had very few problems with the unit. My dealer said he had never had anyone reach 50 hours as quickly as I did, and now I am overdue for my 100 hour service. I'll tell you this, the 2910 is one real workhorse. Also it has higher horsepower than the other 2 units you are looking at, and I have used every one of the 30 that came with my unit, and on several occasions, I could have used a few more. But overall I am very pleased with my tractor, and knowing what I know now, I would do it all over again.
Joe W.

/ Initial Impressions of KB2910, NHTC29D, JD4200 #5  
Dude, Ya hafta go with the 2910 but get a better price! At least $500-$600 less. It is the end of yr. close out time.

/ Initial Impressions of KB2910, NHTC29D, JD4200 #6  
Some Key Advantages of John Deere 4200 versus Kubota 2910 HSD

Direct Injection Engine vs. Indirect = Better fuel economy, easier cold weather starts
Larger Fuel tank capacity 10 gal. vs. 7 gal.
Independent PTO vs. Live continuous
Superior Hydraulics with higher PSI and GPM=Higher Hydraulic Horsepower & faster loader work
Stronger 3Pt Lift Capacity 1700 lbs. vs. 1300
Modern Auto bleed fuel system vs. Self bleed
Higher Bulk wt 2675 lbs. vs. 1763=Higher tow capacity, better for ground engaging implements

Finally, John Deere has historically outperformed Kubota on resale value…

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Initial Impressions of KB2910, NHTC29D, JD4200 #7  
John,

I say that you (ie, Deere) cannot prove your first claim or your last two.

/ Initial Impressions of KB2910, NHTC29D, JD4200 #8  
Well Glenn...

I don't lie and I guess you'll just have to believe me and accept my experience... or not... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-48044-JFM3BW5205SigFile.JPG

"You are what you eat, drink, think, say and do..."

/ Initial Impressions of KB2910, NHTC29D, JD4200 #9  
John,

You are possibly the most objective poster on this forum, and I salute you for it. I say that because one of your admirable approaches is to spend a great deal of your time finding and posting pictures and quotes, without characterizing, so people can judge for themselves.

The comparative list you gave is right out of JD marketing propaganda. I frankly dont know your experience, but if you cant provide evidence to back up these particular claims, I have no reason to believe them. It has nothing to do whether you in good faith personally believe those claims. I believe you do.

Here's the way I approach it. As to DI vs. IDI, the debate is endless and inconclusive to me even on general propositions. But on the specific question of whether a DI 4200 engine gets better fuel economy than a IDI 2910 engine, I suspect there is no comparative test data. But that specific comparison is the important question to the buyer considering the two machines--not whether DI in a general sense gets better fuel economy, a proposition itself that I've seen debated.

So also with cold starting. I've seen this debated both ways. I actually went to dealerships this winter and tried. Frankly, I wouldnt bet much on the difference, but my distinct impression was the Kubota's started more easily.

As to weight, it may very well be true that the JD is heavier--after all, it is a physical fact we are talking about (and I personally dont care what the answer is). But, again, I've never seen good comparative data. It's like the loader lift capacity question: what's being measured. Some say Kubota doesnt include the wheels and tires in the weight. What's the real scoop? I dont know. Frankly, I have always assumed the JD was heavier myself.

As to resale value, that's an old JD chestnut--but, again, where is the comparative data. Indeed, there may be no good database because there is no way to collect data on all the private sale transactions across the country. And, even if there were, comparative resale prices probably vary from region to region. My sense is that, around here, Orange holds its value better, but I cant prove it.

So, again, I am not questioning your experience or good faith beliefs, or even that the claims may be true. I'm just saying that I think the evidence is not apparent--at least not to me.

That doesnt mean the 4200 is not a better tractor than the 2910, other than the fact that it isnt. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Initial Impressions of KB2910, NHTC29D, JD4200 #10  
Actually John they have come a long way with direct injection but They do not start easier nor do they burn cleaner when cold. They are just cheaper to build! If you want to really look at the Deere spec's a little longer for all they offer, do they move the loader's faster? And Deere's resale value is a old worn out flag at this point that is as worn out as the claim. With all there quality control problems from small to large they only run on there history, not on what they are doing today!