Really having a hard time

/ Really having a hard time #1  

chambers1517

I just visited another Kubota dealer in my area. I have 5.5 acres that need quite a bit of work. We are building a house and have had about 3 acres cleared. I will be clearing logs and brush that is left from excavation. I have about 1600 ft of gravel driveway to maintain and will be useing it to mow. I liked the L3400 and the b7400 before going down there, thinking the 7400 would be great for mowing and the 3400 would be better for cleaning up. This dealer said I would be happier in the long run with a 3130. It is larger than the 3400 and nicer. He priced the 7800 at 12250, the 3400 at 12800, a 2800 HSD at 12450 and the 3130 at 13450. I can swing the difference in price between these but price is a factor. I drove the 3130 and liked the shuttle shift. Which tractor do you guys think I will be happier with. I never knew picking the right tractor would be so difficult.

/ Really having a hard time #2  
Are you intending to do finish mowing with the tractor when your lot is squared away?

The bigger tractor would be a bit cumbersome for that work. However, when you look at all the tasks you have planned, it may well be the best choice..
As an example, I operate a Deere 790 which I believe is physically pretty close to the 3130 Kubota. Although this machine is a bit big for mowing my 1 acre of finished lawn, I also use it for snow plowing and brush cutting about 3 acres of field growth. My intent is to add a chipper (which is why I replaced my Deere 670 (close to the B7400 is size and power)).

So...although you may find the larger tractor a bit of a hassle sometimes when finish mowing (or, you may not), that's the one I'd go for. Are you planning on getting a RFM or MMM?

/ Really having a hard time #3  
You don't really have trouble picking the right tractor! The problem lies in the job diversity which is very difficult for one tractor to meet.

Suggest you make a list of tasks, hours the tractor will be used on them and then try and make a decision from this information.

Also remember the smaller tractor can "usually" do the job but takes longer. <font color="blue"> </font>

Egon <font color="red"> </font> <font color="][/color">

/ Really having a hard time #4  
At least 2 of the tractors you are looking at have HST. Have you operated any of these tractors. I would recommend the 3130 also. But with HST.
I looked at a L3130 and L3430 which is the same as L3130 but with more horsepower. I changed my mind after realizing that I would have get a bigger trailer and truck to tow it.
The L3130 with the LA723 FEL with QA will allow you to rent many Bob Cat attachments that will help you finish you property for lawn. A 72" MMM can be put on the L3130 but not on the L3400.
The prices that you mention do not appear to include any attachments. For reference, a B7800 with 72"MMM and FEL will run about $17500. A L3130 with the same equipment will be about $22000.

/ Really having a hard time #5  
Personally I will go along with the thoughts of Roy Jackson. Of the choices you outlined, I think most are simply too big for your LONG TERM uses unless your land is really rough. If it was me I would look down a little bit in size. The B7800 or the B3030 (deluxe version of the B7800 with a lot more features) are the biggest I would consider. I would also seriously look at the B7610 or any similar size/power tractor. You will be using the tractor on basically 3 acres. The other 2.5 acres are in woods, which means you might cut paths or something through them, but basically woods are not something that you really mess with too much. So ultimately you will be working the tractor on 3 acres of land 90% of the time. I would suggest a 24hp tractor could easily manage what you want to do. It would save you some money that could be applied to the purchase of the FEL, mower deck, etc. Most of that class of tractor is going to be small and light enough to do all your lawn mowing, so you won't need a second garden tractor or even a push mower.

I realize you have some log clearing and other modestly heavy tasks to do, but those are very short term tasks and I think you may end up buying a large tractor that will get extensive use the first year and then will be too big in subsequent years.

/ Really having a hard time #6  
I agree with Bob. A smaller machine will definitely be able to handle pulling logs, clearing brush and moving soil.....especially since most of the excavation is complete, and in say 2 years time you'll be left with a relatively manageable finished area and woods. I cleared about 1/4 acre of logs and general debris with a BX2200 a few years back. The little machine handled it and I had a blast. Granted, I could only pull one limbed log at a time, but it worked out. I later used the machine to blow snow and maintain my driveway. A BX is quite a bit smaller than the smallest machine you are talking about.

I'd take a look at the B3030. That would likely fit the bill for you and be an excellent mower when major construction is generally complete. It will drag landscape rakes and brush hog with ease. Not sure of your storage situation, but it'll be easy to park and easy on fuel. They look pretty cool too. The other tractors in the B series are all nice, I just like the 3030s.

/ Really having a hard time #7  
Were it my problem, I'd choose the L3400 Gear. It's tough and got plenty of guts yet is smaller and lighter than the L3130. Can't use a midmount mower on it, but remove and replace on those things are a hassle anyway and they'll get in the way of your rough work. Having a strong tractor on hand might open up possibilities for that wooded land down the road that you might never tackle with a smaller machine.

The L3400 is a "plain jane" compared to the L3130. That being the case, you'll be more inclined to work it than protect it.

Hydrostatic might be a more convenient that gear at times, but if you're not going to be doing a lot of repetitive motion loader work, I'd go gear for its strength, simplicity, and economy; not to mention ability to get the HP to the rear wheels. It often amazes me that the folks here who praise HST as a convenience and a great time saver are often the same folks that say small tractors are OK, they just take longer to do the same work. HST would be a good choice though, if you forsee alot of tiller or snowblower work.

Whatever you get, be sure its got 4WD.
FWIW
Bob

/ Really having a hard time #8  
I won't rehash what has already been said by others but my vote is for a mid 20's HP tractor with a smaller footprint for the long term and renting out something bigger for the immediate needs.

I built a new home on 7.5 acres last year. The land was old corn field which wasn't worked in quite a few years. I got a BX2230 nad had the farmer come in and work all my yard up into a nice smooth yard. His equipment, time savings ect... justified me having someone else do the immediate issues and my tractor just does the ongoing mowing and snow removal stuff.

So look at the big picture before you buy.

/ Really having a hard time
Just got back from another dealer. He had all 3 tractors on site. The 3130 really looked huge next to the 7800. He said for my needs 7800 hands down. He also praised a MMM due the fact you can trim next to somenthing without backing up to turn. He also admitted they are more difficult to attach and cost more. He really praised the 7800 for its power and size. 11800 for tractor and 15300 for tractor and 72" MMM.

/ Really having a hard time #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( He also admitted they are more difficult to attach and cost more. )</font>
That is true but .... I have a 72" MMM on our B2910 and taking it on or off is about a 5 minute job either way with the FEL on. If you don't have FEL I think you might have to use the deck's "drive-over" feature, not totally sure.

I really like our MMM - it is a bit of a pain taking it on and off but probably not much more than taking any implement on or off. I can see down the road a few years when I have alot of the work done around here, the MMM will probably be on most of the time .... currently it is only on when I'm going to mow.