Good Day...Bad Day

/ Good Day...Bad Day #1  

ABaran

You know it's a good day when:

1) The man with the big truck delivers your shiny new BX2230.
2) That same man gives you four different Kubota hats.
3) While your better half is cutting with back with the new tractor the neighbor welcomes you to the neighborhood with a banana nut cake that's still warm from the oven.

You know it's a bad day when...
1) That shiny new BX2230 springs a leak /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
2) The dealership is closed for the day.

Can't really tell exactly where the leak is but it's somewhere behind the left rear wheel as the inside of the tire is covered with hydro fluid. Oh well, at least we got the grass cut.
I'll keep you'll informed..

Andy

Attachments

• 699171-new tractor 2.jpg
    699171-new tractor 2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 635
   / Good Day...Bad Day #2  
Start the tractor and look for any spraying hydro fluid. If you don't find anything spraying, it might just have been overfilled and with the heat of the day the fluid expanded and came out the overflow. Check the transmission dip stick to see where the level is when it is cold and also when hot. My bet is there is nothing wrong except that it was overfilled. Nice looking machine.... and you should remove the loader when cutting grass... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gifJunk......

/ Good Day...Bad Day #3  
How does the grass catcher work. I wanted that on both of my machines but the cost at that time was prohibitive.

/ Good Day...Bad Day #4  
Just remember to put something down before check for spraying hydro fluid. The fluid will kill any grass it hits and will permanently stain that nice tarmac drive.

/ Good Day...Bad Day #5  
Could it be diesel, that's where the early BX's would leak from the fuel level sender, supposed to have that fixed though. Pull the liner out of the cupholder and see if the top of the tank is wet, should be able to tell by the smell also.

/ Good Day...Bad Day #6  
Junkman is right--get that FEL off if you are going to mow.

The FEL loves to EAT stuff, like corners or buildings, or sides of sheds, or vehicles! Don't ask me how I know this, please.

Mowed twice with the FEL on and both time, the FEL ate something.

As a minimum if you don't take it off, curl it full and raise the FEL so you can really see where the front lip of the cutting edge is. I'll swear it is automatically extendable when it gets close enough to eat something! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ron

/ Good Day...Bad Day #7  
I have had 2 Kubota's leak hydro fluid and in both cases it was the return line that takes the fluid back to the transmission. It is a rubber line with hose clamps on it since it is low pressure and the leak is always at one of the hose clamps. A simple tightening with a screwdriver has cured it both times.

I would prefer to fix little stuff like that myself, it is easier and much faster than taking it back to the dealer.

Hope your problem is as simple as mine was.

Bill Tolle

/ Good Day...Bad Day
Guys,
Thanks for all the good input.

The FEL came off as soon as the delivery driver pulled out of the driveway. Since part of my backyard is fenced in I didn't feel like taking out part of the fence. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The jury is still out on the grass catcher. The tube from the MMM clogged up a couple of times. Since it happened while my wife was driving it I didn't see what lead up to the clog. Once we get this leak squared away I'll be able to experiment with the grass catcher.

Unfortunately, the leak was not overfill. On the back left side there is an unpainted block with three hard lines running from the front. One of the lines runs to a 45 degree fitting that connects to the block. When I started the tractor there was no spray, just a significant drip comming from either where the fitting screws into the block or where the line connects to the fitting. I was able to wiggle an 18mm wrench onto the line to see if it was loose but it seemed to be tight. Judging by the way the fluid was dripping down the connection the problem is on the transmission side of the block/connection.

I tried to get my camera in close enough to get pics but the bottom of the fender and top of the tire get in the way. I'll get you'll posted on how things go.

Andy

/ Good Day...Bad Day #9  
If the tube clogged up, then the grass was either wet or the tractor wasn't being run at full speed. To eliminate this from happening in the future, keep the engine speed toward the high side, and if the grass is long or wet, then only take a half bite with the mower. Best time to cut is late afternoon when the grass is dry and there is still light. Best time to water is in the very early morning. Watering in the evening allows the grass to stay wet all night and can cause mold and fungus problems. Apply fertilizers with weed killers when the grass is a little longer and in the morning before the dew is off the grass. I know.... more info than you asked for, but I felt like exercising my fingers........ /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
One other thing...... if you ever are going to cut the grass with the loader in place, never do it with the loader raised because it will hit overhead items, and overall, it isn't a safe way to traverse the land with a elevated bucket. As a rule, when ever traveling with the bucket, loaded or unloaded, keep the bucket as low as possible. Only raise the bucket as high as necessary and never any higher. The higher the bucket, the easier it is to get into a toppling situation.

/ Good Day...Bad Day #10  
Andy,

I have the bagger as well; I’ve only had the tube clog twice. Both times the grass was 6” or 7” tall and wet, I just took a smaller bite after that and it was fine.

The problem is (really not a problem) is that these BX’s go through grass of any reasonable height (8” or less) like butter. You feel like you can mow almost as fast as you want not realizing that at some point you will overload the capabilities of the bagger.

Play around with some more and I think you will find that it works great.

Mike