2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #1  

Hook

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010
If you've been following my "saga" recently, you know that I have now narrowed down my choices of tractors to the Kubota B2910 & the JD 4200. Well, today I went & rode them both again & climbed in & out of the seat a bunch of times. I am clearly zeroing in on a decision. Here's how I see the 2 competitors stacking up for me ... you might be surprised as you read ...

PRICE

The quoted prices I received from the dealers have the Kubota costing $800 less (with the same implements). In addition, the Kubota dealer has made it clear that he can drop the price a little more. The JD dealer told me today that he had already given me their rock-bottom price.

So I'm assuming that I can squeeze another $500 out of the Kubota dealer, making the JD $1,300 more than the Kubota. Now, I'm all for saving $13,00 whenever I can, but given the size of this purchase, this is not enough money to make the difference. Nonetheless, the Kubota gets the win in this category.

Winner: Kubota B2910

POWER

The Kubota has more gross horsepower than the JD (30 vs 26.3), but the PTO horsepower is virtually identical (22 vs. 21.5). On the other hand, the JD has more hydraulic power. But, since much of my work will be mowing & moving snow, I give the nod to the Kubota B2910.

DEALERS

Both of the dealers are very nice & the people there were very helpful. The Kubota dealer is about 7 miles from where we'll be living & the JD dealer is about 27 miles away. The Kubota dealer has an enormous, professional-looking service department. The JD dealer has an average-looking service department. Furthermore, the Kubota dealer said that they like to do repeairs at the customer's location whenever possible. The JD dealer likes to bring the tractor to the shop whenever possible.

Winner: JD 4200

[Now things get interesting ...]

ERGONOMICS

The primary reason I wanted to drive both tractors was to double check the ergonomics & the ride. After today it is cloear to me that the JD is much better fit for my body type. I felt as if I had lots more room, especially for my feet (due to the platform design). While I don't care for the placement of the JD gear range selector, the pedals are in a much better place, as far as I'm concerned. The Kubota felt cramped after I had driven the JD.

Winner: JD 4200

RIDE

I really felt that there was no contest here. The ride of the JD was FAR superior to the Kubota. It just felt much smoother & soild & was much less noisy. This may seem like a minor issue, but I actually climbed off of the Kubota thinking that it felt kind of tinny & unsubstantial.

BOTTOM LINE

Right now I have to admit that I'm leaning strongly to the JD 4200, despite the price, power & dealer differences. I feel like I would have a hard time ignoring he better ergnonomics (for me) & the superior ride & substantial feel of the JD.

Comments?

Hook

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #2  
Hook, I was pretty sure you'd made up your mind to go with the Kubota./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif And I would, and did. However, if the Deere is more comfortable for you, you probably had better go that way or you'll always wonder whether you made a mistake. They're both good tractors; buy the one you like best.

Bird

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #3  
hook: tractors are like women, u pick the one u like best, and don't worry about what other people think.if u feel more comfortable with jd go for it. if u think after awhile u should have done differently, won't cost u as much as changing women /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif seriously! get the tractor that fits u best.

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #4  
I went for the more solid feel of the 4200 myself..Very happy at 150 hrs.

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #5  
Hook,I've been following your "saga" and I would say you have been very thorough in your quest for a Compact.The heavier weight of the 4200 would contribute to the better ride.I own a B2710 and recently ran an L4310 with loaded rear tires.What a BIG difference in the ride and overall comfort.Like you say "When you're spending this kind of money". Good luck with that new Deere,and post some pics when it's all said and done.

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #6  
Hook,

Last year I did the same comparison, but one size up. JD 4300 and the L3410 - both HST. I went the other way for ergonomic reasons and slightly lower price. Like they say, I ain't gonne get to ride your tractor much, so don't spend too much time pleasing me! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Have fun and remember, both are wonderful machines.

John Bud

35-43507-little_tractor.gif

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #7  
Hook,

I would compare the 4200 to the L3010 if I were you. The ride comfort is probably weight related to some degree, and if there's that big a price difference, the 3010 will probably be very close in price to the JD in your area. I'd be very interested to hear how you feel those two compare.

Todd