Buying Advice Looking for Trackor purchase advice (long message)

/ Looking for Trackor purchase advice (long message) #1  

chapmx

Tractor
Kubota L5030HSTC
Hello all. I am a tractor newbie (fairly new anyway) and have been monitoring the forums over the last few weeks to garner some information from the very knowledgeable folks that contribute here. In addition to these forums, I have spent plenty of time at dealers etc. doing research for a purchase. Even with all this I am unsure of what the "best" solution for my situation would be (quite frankly I keep changing my mind as to which options are best for me!). This has prompted me to ask others, more knowledgeable than myself, for some less biased opinions (less than my own anyway as I tend to think short term $$$ sometimes vs long term picture).

In advance, let me apologize for being so wordy, but want to give as much detail to my expected use/needs so as any advice received is as relevant as can be.

My current situation is that I live in North Eastern PA on a 45 acre parcel. The parcel is divided into about 30 acres of open land and 15 acres wooded. Topographically, it is "hilly" which is to say that there is no level or anything extremely steep (about 150' total elevation change).

My primary task are (ordered by priority):

1. Brush hog about 15 acres 3 times per year, another 10 acres one or two times per year. The final 5 acres are finished mowed about weekly. I presently use an early 60's Ford 2000 to brush hog, which works fair if I do not let the fields get to high. The finish mowing is done w/ a sears craftsman 25 hp garden tractor which works fine but is a little on the slow side. I am not looking to really do finish mowing with new tractor as I see a ZTR in my future ...

2. Plow driveway in winter. I have a 1300' drive with just under 100' elevation change. At present I use a Polaris Ranger 4x4 with a 6' plow which gets it done with some effort. Our winters here can vary quite a bit so some years I may only plow once or twice and others I may be plowing every week.

3. General landscaping, clearing, driveway maint. etc. Presently use combination of SHOVEL, Polaris Ranger (small dump box good for bark/small amounts of dirt etc.), and Ford 2000 w/ box plow and a blade. Again, this works but know I could be much more efficient!

4. Motocross track. I have a dirt track that I need to keep ripped up (box plow/disc) and I would like to be able to build jumps and move larger amounts of dirt around. Presently use Ford 2000 w/box plow to rip up but have no way to move larger amounts of dirt.

My goals for new tractor are to A) be more efficient and B) consolidate the pieces of equipment I need. C) be able to move dirt (FEL work) D) Add BH capability in future. I am looking for a single good all around tractor that will do most of the things above. I realize that this is asking a lot and that using a single machine will be a compromise (which I am willing to do). E.g. A commercial grade 4wd backhoe would be ideal for the track or track machine but not very useful for mowing so I know whatever tractor/FEL/BH combo I may end up with will not be the best for moving dirt BUT as long as it CAN move the dirt although w/ a little extra time etc. is ok.

Three options I am presently narrowed down to (although willing to change my mind based on this forums advice!). Note that all are 4WD.

1. Relative selling used John Deere 4500 (I know this is a KUBOTA forum and I submitted here as my NEW tractor options are greatly favoring the Kubota .... because of local Dealer reputation and location). This tractor has only 400 hours, includes 460 FEL, Curtis CAB (heat but no AC), an 7' power angle plow, and a sprayer system that mounts to 3P hitch. It is in great shape. My concerns are it is only 39 HP (is it enough for my needs - FEL especially) and if I would get a BH I am not really going to be able to use the cab. Asking price is about 19.5k. Has full AG tires where I believe that I would prefer the "industrial" tread.

2. L5030 - Love this tractor, seems to have plenty of power at about 52 HP, full hydro so I believe that my wife will be willing to use (refused to touch the old FORD!) and seems pretty ideal for MOST of my needs. I would get it with the HD FEL and Tooth Bar. Initially would not get BH but definite option in future. Quoted 27k from dealer (w/ LA853, HD Quick Attach Bucket, Woods Tooth Bar) and believe that I could potentially get that down $500 or so ...

3. M4900 - Seems like a lot more tractor than 5030 or 4500 which I like BUT am concerned about whether my wife will like/use it, will miss the HYDRO myself, and am not sure what I lose in flexibility to the smaller 5030 (front end snow blower etc, extra weight). Have not asked dealer for price but seems like it will be on par with 5030.

As far as $$$, of course this is important BUT the most important item to me is to get the best tool for my needs and its durability as I would like to sell off my ranger, ford etc and plan on keeping this tractor for the LONG haul!

Thanks in advance to all those that take the time to read all this!

/ Looking for Trackor purchase advice (long message) #2  
Chap,

First, welcome to the forum.

Looking at your project list, I would think that the JD is not undersized. Others with similar requirements will chime in. I also don't see Ag (R1) tires being an issue since you're staying off the lawn.

Unless you need the $ for the tractor, I don't know if I'd part with the Ranger too quickly. Many of us have found the combination of a UTV with a tractor to be very handy. There are chores that need to be done where the Ranger may be more efficient.

Brian

/ Looking for Trackor purchase advice (long message)
Brian,

Thanks for the welcome and advice. I agree with the potential of the Ranger. In particular, the FUN factor. If I continue to find it useful after getting the tractor I will most likely keep it and/or replace it with the Kubota RTV or Yamaha Rhino in the future.

I am trying to arrange the "borrowing" of my relative's JD 4500 for some test use to see if I will be happy with the power etc. Believe it is a 4 speed with 3 ranges and shuttle shifter.

Not sure exactly what all that means (used to my old manual Ford). I am not sure how that stacks up with the hydro either as I have not used them before. Will try to get wife on it and see if she is ok with driving the JD ... will let you know.

Thx.

Tim

/ Looking for Trackor purchase advice (long message) #4  
Hi Chap, welcome to the forum. As much as I love my Kubota, if I were in your shoes I think I'd buy the JD from the relative. 1st because I'd likely get a pretty good deal, and second, if I decided it wasn't quite right for me, I could resell it quick enough and not take a loss. I would think that the JD has plenty of HP for the tasks that you've listed.

...Tony

/ Looking for Trackor purchase advice (long message) #5  
I keep thinking that you're really going to enjoy that cab this winter.

Looks like I will be able to use the JD for a day next weekend so I will basically give it a full test. I like the point that if I get the JD and it doesn't workout I will likely lose very little if any on the investment so I am definitely leaning that way now.

Thanks all.

Tim

/ Looking for Trackor purchase advice (long message) #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 2. L5030 - Love this tractor, seems to have plenty of power at about 52 HP, full hydro so I believe that my wife will be willing to use (refused to touch the old FORD!) and seems pretty ideal for MOST of my needs. I would get it with the HD FEL and Tooth Bar. Initially would not get BH but definite option in future. Quoted 27k from dealer (w/ LA853, HD Quick Attach Bucket, Woods Tooth Bar) and believe that I could potentially get that down $500 or so ...)</font>

Maybe I'm wrong or missing something, but 27k sounds high on that. I bought a L5030HSTC (cab) with the LA853 loader, QA, heavy duty bucket, R4's, with front and rear work lights for 30k. I'm thinking that the cab w/ A/C is something like a 5k to 5500 option. If so, that makes the deal you have quoted on the 5030 sound really high to me. It's been a long day, so maybe I'm missing something in what you're getting for that price.

/ Looking for Trackor purchase advice (long message) #8  
another Welcome aboard!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The JD sounds like a pretty good deal, but u mention that you want to Brush hog about 25 acres 2or 3 times a year that is a fair amt of hogging depending on how much time you want to spend doing it the 39 HP might take longer, also how will the 7' blade do on that long drive for heavy snow remova.l

I had just asked for a price for comparison sake so I am not sure how much lower they will go ... I have not sat down with the dealer and said that I am ready to buy and try to get their best price yet ... based on the test of the JD next weekend I may not have too!

But based on your numbers you can bet I will be pushing for a lower price if I do decide on the 5030.

Tim

Do you think that the HP (39 vs 52) will make much difference with a 6' Brush hog? My Ford seems to work "ok" and it can't have more than 30 so I thought anything over 35 or 40 would not really be needed for the brush hog. Speaking of that, could I run a brush hog > 6' on the 5030 or M4900 because of the extra power? That might be a pretty good benefit if I could.

My biggest concern, power wise, is FEL. I have never used a tractor with a bucket or hoe attached (have used track loader, dozer, and commercial back hoes) and was concerned if 39 HP on a lighter vehicle (weaker hydraulics also?) would be good at FEL in our fairly hard/rocky terrain. Again, realize a compact tractor will NOT be nearly as good as the others for serious digging but would like to get one large/tough enough to do a decent/ok job. Although digging is not the primary purpose, a good tabletop or step-up jump could have a hundred ton of dirt in it!

With a tooth bar attached would any of these three (JD 4500, L5030, M4900) be able "scrap" a foot or two of soil from undisturbed ground (a few inches at a time) or is there no chance of digging in "un-disturbed" soil w/o going with commercial grade (L39?)?

Tim