l3400, l3130, b3030 the age old question..

/ l3400, l3130, b3030 the age old question.. #1  

ChevyGuy

Which is better for my purpose?

Background: Have 10 acres of flat, Florida planted pine timberland. I have cleared about 1.3 acres for the homesite and plan to clear another 1+ acre for a covey or two of quail. Initially, I need to complete the homesite prep, spread about 20 loads of fill, finish about a 700' road/driveway.

After the first year of heavy labor, the tractor will be used for driveway maintenance, bush hogging along the entry road and driveway, and finish mowing around the home. I will not be having a perfectly manicured lawn so a rut or two will not break my heart. I'll have a good size garden as well.

The other use the tractor will see is duty around the hunt camps, discing, trail maintenance. The furthest hunt camp is about 45 miles miles away and I'll be trailering it with a 1/2 ton z71 3 or 4 times a year to each camp.

With these tasks in mind, the three tractors I'm considering are the L3400, L3130 and B3030.

I like the weight of the B3030, but it only comes in HST and I am an old salt, I like to row the gears. Other than this one drawback, I drove this lractor and like this machine alot. It turned nice a tight and seemed really smooth in all of it's functions.

The L3400 has the power, not too much weight, and I believe it'll do everything I need. The only drawback to this machine is that to get the folding ROPS, and extensible 3pt hitch, the price rolls up kinda quick. I have not been able to drive an l3400, but did try an l2800 and it was very nice.

Then I went a drove an L3130. Man, this is a machine! I loved everything about this tractor except the weight. At about 4000+ with FEL it is a beast and will tax the limits of my tow vehicle.

Here's where I'm at. I kinda think the B3030 may be a bit light for my uses. The l3400 is a great comprimise between the b3030 and the l3130. But, since the l3400 is a "basic" machine, I'm a bit afraid that I might feel later down the road that I comprimised. My heart is leaning towards the l3130. This seems for the money to be a LOT of machine. I'm just having trouble convincing myself that it isn't to heavy.

I'm planning on ordering here in the next couple of weeks. Any and all insight is appreciated.

ChevyGuy

/ l3400, l3130, b3030 the age old question.. #2  
I traded my L2050 for L3430 and have never regretted it. I decided this time I wanted all the bells and whistles. I did look at the L3400 but it was too much like my old tractor, a little more basic but still a nice tractor.

I mostly finish mow and it does fine with the industrial tires, I was kind of worried about the weight on the lawn but it turned out to be a non-issue. The width did take a little getting use to though. I need a wider mower now.

I'm sure all three of the tractors your looking at would do the job though. I got along just fine with my L2050 2wd for 13 years and did everything you need to do plus alot of other jobs. If it were me though I would go with the L3130, but I've never tried towing it with my 1/2 ton truck. Not sure how that would work.

/ l3400, l3130, b3030 the age old question.. #3  
ChevyGuy

What are the specs on your Z71? Engine, tranny, rear axle ratio? Also GVW and GCVW of the tag on driver's door or door post? With that info we might be able to give you some real advice. I have an L3130 that I will tow with my K2500HD turbo diesel P-U but I don't need that much vehicle to tow it. It has a GCVW of 13,000 lbs.

Vernon

/ l3400, l3130, b3030 the age old question.. #4  
Get the L3130! Your probably at the max. on your truck for towing limits, but just make sure your trailer has brakes. Remember its only 40 miles, its only 3 to 4 times a year. You will be using the tractor a lot more than 3 or 4 times a year. I own a L 3130 HST 4WD and love it, I love the HST for the loader work. Only suggestion is to upgrade to the L3830 HST, because you lose some HP with the HST. Go with your GUT! As you stated in your post, the L3130 was your gut choice, with some concerns over towing! Tow slow! Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ l3400, l3130, b3030 the age old question..
TexBayLea,

It is a 5.3, automatic with 3.73 gears.

The window sticker shows 7500 max trailer weight. I figure 2000 pounds for a decent trailer, about 4000 pounds for the tractor and add in another 500 or so for extra fuel and stuff and I'm real close to that 7500 mark.

I agree that the trailer needs brakes (and in Florida is required). Wouldn't pull anything of size without them. I tow boats all the time, one friends is about 6300 pounds and the truck works pretty hard up the grades (I know, what grades in Florida, but we have some steep bridges in Jacksonville).

I have also considered the fact that my current truck has about 85,000 miles on her and I'll be mustering it out of service and buying a new on in about a year. I'll upsize to a 2500 then and not have the problem of weight.

Sounds like most everyone is in the same mind set as mine, the l3130 would be the "no regrets" choice.

Thanks for all of the help and if anyone else has any other insight, I'd truly appreciate your comments.

/ l3400, l3130, b3030 the age old question.. #6  
I don't think I have *ever* read any post anywhere on this site that said "I really should've bought the smaller tractor"

/ l3400, l3130, b3030 the age old question.. #7  
Get the L-3130 with AG tires and the LA723 FEL, a manual transmission is not a bad idea either if you are really working deep in the woods, ie hunt camp, as you don't want branches, etc. jamming up external hydraulic or electrical lines that would put you out of commission. I've got a 350ci 3.73 diff Z-71 and it hauls just fine, just keep it out of overdrive (Drive).

/ l3400, l3130, b3030 the age old question..
I have gone back and forth concerning the loader. I'm leaning toward the la513. It'll do everything I need and costs almost $2000 less. Looks like I'd give up skid-steer attach and about 500 pounds of lift (a bit less reach too). Also, the BH option is limited I believe. I can always rent a BH for the occasional use I'd need one for. I've got to stop somewhere (I drooled over an l3830, to much Jim, to much).

I have my second firm quote from a semi-local dealer.
L3130 DT
LA513 Loader,
R4s
$17,500 plus tax.

This seems pretty good comparing to what I've seen on the board. This is N.E. Florida.

/ l3400, l3130, b3030 the age old question.. #9  
The LA513 can be fitted with the skid steer quick attach. My LA513 on my 3130 has it, I highly recommend it. If you are going to be felling trees and moving brush on occasion, I recommend getting a set of pallet forks with the skid steer attachment.

/ l3400, l3130, b3030 the age old question.. #10  
R4's are not a good idea in the woods, get AGs instead. The LA723 is worth the extra money too.

Attachments

• 731531-Scottie & Stump.jpg
    731531-Scottie & Stump.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 186