From a B3030HSDC to a Toolcat?

/ From a B3030HSDC to a Toolcat?
Congratulations, Steve!

After using the regular 5600 demo for so long, you should be able to give us a really good comparison to the 5600 Turbo Series C. You should also be able to tell us if there is a significant improvement to the mowing quality with the high-flow.

Am I right that you didn't get the factory-option bed liner? Or is that option a dealer-installed spray-on?

I forgot to ask, did you order the Turf tires or the R-4's?

/ From a B3030HSDC to a Toolcat? #33  
Rolando,
Thanks for the update and info from Bobcat HQ. I agree with you, they are more than willing to help and prompt with their responses. My dealer said that they were briefed on the C series improvements in a teleconference, but that he and other dealers were waiting to see how it worked for themselves before bragging to customers!
To answer a few of your questions...
I am getting the R4s Industrial tires due primarily to increased traction and their ability to be quite light footed on my lawn.
I did not get the high flow hydraulics...I couldn't foresee myself needing to use any high flow attachments, as over 90% of the attachments only require normal hydraulic flow.
I did not get the factory installed plastic bed liner, as I have this in my Chevy truck and hate it. Stuff gets between it and the actual bed of the truck and it is slick (stuff slids all around in the bed). My dealer recommended a spray on liner with some tack to it...it is similiar to a rhino liner but more rubbery. It is sprayed on quite thick (~1/6 inch). My dealer said that it will even cut back even further on noise, which I was impressed with in the B series! (When the 110 decibel back up alarm is on, I cannot even hear it in the cab)!
Steve

/ From a B3030HSDC to a Toolcat? #34  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I got an email from Bobcat myself which will shed some additional light on this. BTW, I've been impressed by how responsive the Bobcat folks have been to questions! I hope the local dealer is as good as they are. Here are the questions (even my novice ones) and their responses, which agree with your information, but give additional detail:

<font color="blue">1. Will the C-Series improvements to the Toolcat, which are now under production, be available for both the regular 5600 and 5600 Turbo models?</font></font>

The C-series comes in both standard 5600 and turbo versions. The new lift arm and boom tower will not be retrofittable to the older (A and B-series) machines, however.

<font color="blue">2. One of those improvements is a redesigned tilt linkage that will provide assisted leveling of the bucket and other attachments. Can you give me more information about how this feature will work and make it easier to level the bucket as you're raising the arm?</font>

The new geometry for the tilt linkage reduces the tilt angle throughout the lifting curve so the load is fairly level to truck bed height (60"), but then tilts back more as the arm gets past mid-lift point. Thus, the operator does not need to roll out the attachment very much to keep the load level if desired. This is what we mean by assisted leveling. This is a benefit because a heavy pallet can be difficult to control if the operator does not have a lot of experience and has not acquired the "touch" necessary to keep a pallet level without making the machine bounce from the weight. Older versions of the Toolcat tilted back a great deal -up to 85 degrees at max lift vs. only 30 degrees for the C-series. A greater tilt angle is good for keeping dirt in the bucket when lifting, but it's difficult to keep a pallet load level.

<font color="blue">3. I'm curious, is it technically feasible for the loader to automatically maintain whatever bucket angle the operator sets before he starts to lower or raise the arm, if the operator doesn't move the joystick to the left or right (curl or dump)?</font>

That is what we call parallel lift and, yes, it is technically feasible. Given the versatility of the machine with 30 plus attachments, we feel it would not benefit our customers a great deal to have this feature. The assisted lift mentioned in question 2 is a variation on this that allows the use of many other attachments that wouldn't benefit from parallel lift.

<font color="blue">4. I also understand that the lift capabilities and rollback force of the loader have been improved. Could you tell me what the new ratings are?</font>

The new rollback force is 2,500 lbs on the C-Series vs. 670 lbs for the older version. The lift capability improvement is simply the ability to lift a 2,000 lb pallet to flat bed truck height (60") vs. 47" for the older Toolcats. The rated operating capacity is still 1500 lbs, however.[/i]</font> )</font>

Gosh! I've studied Bobcat's answer to your 4th question and I still don't get it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif (1) If lift capacity is 1500#, how can it lift a 2000# pallet to 60"?
A pallet is 48" forward of the lift pins, to lift a 2000# pallet the Toolcat would accually have to be able to lift over 2500#. Right? Is anyone else confused?

Also, a pallet of sod that's not satuated with water weighs around 2000#. Does that mean the new "C" series will be able to pull a pallet of sod off a flat truck? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif If so, this Toolcat is a real Hoss! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Listen Rolando, that means the next time a stray "B" series tractor shows up on your property telling you that your dumb for paying so much for the Toolcat. You'll be able to get out the forks and hoist them onto a flatbed, and send them back from windst they came! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Sorry, that wasn't nice. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Remember: The real "cost" of a machine is not what purchase it for. It's what your paid for it when you "sell" it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ From a B3030HSDC to a Toolcat? #35  
Big_Daddy,

I agree, the improved lift boom and specs improvement without changing the rated operational capacity (ROC) is WEIRD. A friend of mine who used to be quite familiar with heavy equipment told me that traditionally skid steer loaders were based on ROC rather than HP but that 35-45HP units were typically rated as 1200 lbs operation capacity, a 45-55HP unit was rated at 1500 lbs., etc. Quite possibly Bobcat is trying to keep to it's heritage.?.?
He also told me that the ROC is more of a legal term and that it should be able to lift a least a ton. In my experience, using a B series Toolcat moving the Bobcat 60" BrushCat (I believe ~1400 lbs), it moved it with ease and grace. I even picked it to max height to inspect the blades...no problemo. Hopefully, I'll find out very soon how the C series functions!

Steve

P.S. It is good to hear from you again! Hope all is well. Have you received your Toolcat?

I'm certainly not the expert here and perhaps someone more knowledgeable could comment, but I thought is was common practice for the manufacturers to rate the FEL lift capacity at full height. I thought that the rating is also a factor of stability. It seems that I've read in several forum discussions that the FEL's could often exceed the rated lift capacity at lower heights, and perhaps Bobcat has quantified that. I've attached one example being used by a Toolcat. The lift capacity is rated at 3,300 lbs. at 7 feet, but only 1,200 lbs. at full extension.

Attachments

• 742627-Forkster3316-ToolCat.jpg
    742627-Forkster3316-ToolCat.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 139
   / From a B3030HSDC to a Toolcat? #37  
Makes lots of sense to me. Sounds like a great idea. I'd own one if I had a reason...especially having the dogs and kids along.

The only thing I would caution you about is the weight of the machine. You won't rip up the turf, but you will compact the soil over time. Maybe you can lower the pressure in the tires or you'll have to plan on plugging the lawn now and again along with lots of water to keep it from turning into stone with some weeds poking through.

/ From a B3030HSDC to a Toolcat? #38  
It's not a matter of "distribution and balance"....it's a matter of sheer weight as Henro suggested. Weight will compact the soils badly over time and you will have only weeds. The turf may not get ripped up, but try digging in badly compacted soils, then try growing something. The sidewalls on the R4s will be stiff and I doubt lowering the pressure will do much, but maybe help.

/ From a B3030HSDC to a Toolcat? #39  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Don't let conventional, old-style tractor owners dissuade you from your well-reasoned thinking that has led you to consider a nimble, 4-wheel steer Toolcat with Kubota diesel. )</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ From a B3030HSDC to a Toolcat? #40  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( Don't let conventional, old-style tractor owners dissuade you from your well-reasoned thinking that has led you to consider a nimble, 4-wheel steer Toolcat with Kubota diesel. )</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )</font>

Not to be a downer on this nice piece of equipment, but in the long run I see it as being an overpriced 46HP fuel hog marginal lawnmower..... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif