From a B3030HSDC to a Toolcat?

/ From a B3030HSDC to a Toolcat? #1  

Rolando

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat High Flow Turbo C-series
Well, I was almost ready to take delivery of my B3030 cab when I discovered the <font color="green">Bobcat Toolcat</font> (I know, it's been out for over two years, I'm slow). By chance, I was looking at the B3030 posts in this forum on Friday to read what people were saying about it and I came across this <font color="blue">Post</font> by Steve ("odleefs"). Yes, Steve, in case you should wonder into this section of the discussion boards, you're to blame.... and thanks!!!

Now, all the conclusions I had reached and held for many months about the machine I wanted, have been shaken and I would appreciate your thoughts/reactions/comments on my rationale.

My needs have always been for a machine that I could use to take down some smallish trees and clear off my building site, move and place fill for the house, move construction materials during the building of the house, then after the house was built, mowing and small projects. With the mowing obviously being the prominent long term use.

I should say I'm new to this, so I figured if I needed to move dirt, mow, knock down trees, etc., I needed some kind of tractor with an FEL, and I restricted myself to that category without realizing that there might be something else out there. I initially started looking at the L3130 because its LA-723 FEL had the capacity I felt I needed. But I rejected that tractor because it would be too heavy for my long term mowing needs, and too much tractor for my 5 acre lot.

I then found out about the B3030 and liked being able to get the A/C cab. I was concerned that the FEL capacity was too low, but the tractor was light enough to be able to mow without damaging the grass and I figured this was my best compromise. But the lack of loader capacity kept nagging at me.

Then I started looking at the Toolcat. It has an even better lift capacity than the LA723 and while it weights more than the L3130, the all-wheel steering and the viscous connection between the two axles let it make sharp turns without damaging the grass. And I could still get the air conditioned cab!

The Toolcat costs a lot more than the B3030 cab, but I had already decided that I would also want a utility vehicle to be able to tool around the 5 acres. With the Toolcat, I wouldn't need the Ute, and when I add the cost of the B3030 and the utility vehicle together, the Toolcat won't cost much more and I would end up with only one piece of equipment to maintain.

It seems to me that the main things I loose in going away from a tractor are ground clearance, the 3PH, and the PTO. But my lot is very flat and has no underbrush, it's very dry. You can actually walk through the whole property right now without my having done any clearing or cutting. Ground clearance is just not an issue. The 3PH I would only need for a box blade, and I can get a box blade to go on the FEL of the Toolcat, and this arrangement has the advantage of not having to cran your neck around to the back to see what's going on. The work is right in front of you. The PTO I only needed for mowing grass, and again I can get a 6 ft. mowing deck to attach up front with an easy excellent view of what I'm cutting and that will run off of hydraulics. The Toolcat can turn inside a 17 ft. diameter with the 4-wheel steering, so the mowing should be just as maneuverable as with a belly mower. It looks to me that for my purposes I'm not loosing anything. Everything will now attach at the front, but with everything, including the box blade and the mower, on the skid-steer quick-attach, switching will be simple. By the way, the Toolcat has a Kubota diesel!

Now that I'm looking at it from a different perspective, I also see other advantages to the Toolcat. I don't have a tractoring background, so I think I will feel more at home more quickly with the truck-like feel of the Toolcat verses the tractor position. Also, that truck bed will come in handy to haul tools and things around, and as others have mentioned in other posts about the Toolcat, with the young granddaughter and two dogs that I have, that passenger seat in the enclosed cab looks very attractive. I know they would all vote (with hands or paws) for being able to ride with me as I work and I would enjoy being able to take them.

So there you have it. Am I talking myself into something, or does my reasoning make sense? Sorry about the long post, but I wanted to organize my thoughts as much for myself as for your consideration.

/ From a B3030HSDC to a Toolcat? #2  
Here's another recent TractorByNet thread on the Toolcat. It has lots of info on the newest B and C series Toolcats, including the newly available rear PTO option.

IMHO, the Toolcat offers a great "outside the box" alternative to a typical CUT or small utility tractor for most utility and maintenance work as long as you analyze its pros and cons against your specific needs.

/ From a B3030HSDC to a Toolcat? #3  
Hi,

My first post in a while...stop in now and then but don't have time to type much.

Anyway, my gut is telling me that with only five acres to deal with, you will find that the toolcat is too much machine in the long run, and that you will worst case keep it and buy a smaller tractor to accompany it.

The toolcat looks like a great machine and one that any of us would love to have, but from what I read into your post, it is not something you need for YOUR needs.

I have a B2910 and a BX2200 on 3.7 acres...as the major work has gotten done, I see the smaller tractor being used more and more. The B2910 is the same size as the B3030.

If you have money to burn buy the Toolcat and another tractor or two to keep it company. Like all boys we need our toys.

If you want to maximize your bang for the buck, think carefully. That is a fairly large, heavy machine...

Good luck in your decision...

/ From a B3030HSDC to a Toolcat? #4  
Rolando,
Well, I guess I'm sorry and you're welcome! I, also, faced the same dilemma and eventually came to the same conclusion as you did. Therefore, my opinion is somewhat biased, so I won't overtly say you made the right choice...but you did! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Your rationale for deciding upon the Toolcat was right-on and well justified IMO. I don't see posts as well written and thought out as yours very often.
Let me give you some findings that I have made, or others have pointed out to me...

1) I would recommend a demo on your property as Bobcat is seemingly quite generous and gracious with these nationwide.

2) Attachments are somewhat expensive, so budget accordingly or consider a Hydraulically driven motorized PTO attachment of the front of the Toolcat. I am not going this route , but you may contact me for what I have regarding these.

3) You may want to buy now, as the new C series models, although somewhat more capable, will also be more expensive.

I will expand on this later, my son wants to go out and play in/around the Toolcat! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Steve

Later on this evening...
After reading the other posts in this thread I agree that there are some other great threads on the Toolcats. The one referenced by BAM747 is a dandy. Henro has good suggestions also, namely the possible need for a smaller tractor...one would be nice to load the bed of the Toolcat! Just kidding!
While I agree the Toolcat may be a bit too much, as is always said, better with too much than too little. Especially for your initial big projects, the Toolcat will be more than capable, and may prove to be nimble enough for the less intensive tasks. If, unfortunately, you find later that the Toolcat too large a beast and need to sell it, Bobcat has one of the best resale values and a reputation that is second to none. Period. This was yet one more reason that I decided upon the Toolcat.
Keep me informed on your decision! While your choice seems difficult, your facing the best problem of all. After all, if you go the route of the B3030HSDC, your decision is still a great one! Good Luck and Have Fun.

/ From a B3030HSDC to a Toolcat?
Thanks for the thread ref, bam747, that gave me a lot to think about.

It's good to see you back, Henro. Thanks for your input, it makes sense although that extra capacity would come in handy up front. I'll think about the long term use.

Hi Steve,
My closest dealer (in Ocala) has one and we're going to take a look at it tomorrow. Do I understand correctly that the Bobcat mower runs off of hydraulics. or would I need the PTO attachment in order to run it? It looks like the Bobcat 72" mower deck is about the same price as the Kubota belly mower for the B3030, which runs off of the mid-PTO.

The mower is the only attachment for me where PTO is an issue. Other than the bucket, the other attachments that I need are a box blade, a pallet fork and the hydraulic root grapple. But it's amazing all stuff that's available out there, I'll bet that list doesn't stay that short. That <font color="red">Jawz</font> grabbing tool is awesome! (The Jawz page takes a while to load, at least with my connection, but it's worth the wait) In somewhat the same vane, the <font color="brown">Hy-Reach Tree Clipper</font> is also interesting.

I wonder if the cost difference between the B and C will stay high. The increase in roll-out force is substantial and the improvement in sound deadening would also be good.

I'll report back after I look at the Toolcat tomorrow.

/ From a B3030HSDC to a Toolcat? #8  
Rolando,
You were correct, as you will soon find out, that the 72" Bobcat Mower deck is hydraulically driven...no PTO needed. Keep us informed on what you think!
Steve

We tried out the Toolcat yesterday. I brought a general contractor friend who is also an underground sub with a lot of experience with heavy equipment. He was very impressed with it. Here are some of my initial thoughts:

Turning with 4-wheel steer almost felt like it was spinning on it's axis. The Toolcat felt very nimble.

The control for the FEL was very smooth. With no previous experience, and after a few trys I was able to move the loader and bucket without much jerking. The wrist support for the control was helpful in reducing arm strain. I can see that you could spend may hours of operation without fatigue.

Noise levels were pretty reasonable, speaking in the cab with the doors closed did not require effort. The cab felt very roomy, and the expanse of glass down as well as up and around was amazing. You got a great view of the work area and leaning forward you could almost see the front edge of the bucket on the ground.

And not being a diesel person, I was pleasantly surprised that there was very little diesel smell or clacketing noise from the engine.

Now I need to start shopping it around. There aren't many Bobcat dealers around here so I may only be able to get two quotes. The Ocala, Orlando and Tampa dealerships all have the same ownership. That only leaves me Jacksonville. It's interesting that fairly large cities like Gainesville and Tallahassee don't have any dealerships, and a huge market like the Tampa Bay Area only has one.

I don't suppose anybody has list pricing for the base and options? It's kind of hard to determine how good a deal you're getting without knowing where you're starting from.

Also, I noticed on the Bobcat web site that they are now making a "Power Bob-Tach" that will let you connect and disconnect implements without ever leaving the cab, except when aux. hydraulics are needed of course. That would be quite a time saver if you're changing implements a lot, which I will. But it's only approved for G-series loaders. Does anybody know if this will become available for the Toolcat any time soon?

/ From a B3030HSDC to a Toolcat? #10  
Hi Rolando,

I'd like to have a nice Bobcat too, but personally I think they are way overkill unless you'll be trailering it around to various sites on construction projects.

It would be nice to have one to use for six months or so, but after that you'll need a normal CUT for 99% of what you will be doing from then on out. If you don't care too much about the expensive initial purchase, maintenance, and servicing costs that would be okay, but wait until your main projects are completed and you'll not be getting much seat time in the Bobcat.

Why don't you just stick with the Kubota 3030 and use the Bobcat extra money to get a nice yacht and keep it over in Cedar Key, it'd be a better place to park all that cash?