Wheel Horse Power HST VS Gear

/ Wheel Horse Power HST VS Gear #1  

shadow

Tractor
L3710 HST
Can anyone out there tell me where I can find out how much wheel-horsepower there is for a L3710HST vs a L3710DT (Gear) tractor when both are equipped with the same tire set-up. The specifications from Kubota only list the differences in PTO horsepower and I am curious how much horsepower is lost at the wheels with the hydrostatic transmission. I recentlly drove a L3010HST and then a L3010DT and was amazed at the difference in power especially pulling hills.
I am considering purchasing a L3710HST because everyone I talk too says hydros are the best way to go for mowing, plowing snow, and loader work. But, it seems like a waste to pay more money for the hydro if you are going to give up horsepower which may be needed in a tough situation.
Does the convience of the Hydo out weight the power loss?
Is the power lost minimal?

Thanks for any info anyone may have.

/ Wheel Horse Power HST VS Gear #2  
I can't answer for "wheel" horsepower or Kubota tractors, but in the New Holland TC-45 series, the engine is rated at 45hp, with manual PTO hp at 39.6 and the HST PTO hp at 37.8. The Kubota series probably has a similiar ratio.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by DocHeb on 09/05/01 09:32 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Wheel Horse Power HST VS Gear #3  
I've heard estimates of 10-15% power lost through the hydro; don't know how accurate that is, but since the hydro should spin the wheels, I don't know why any more hp would be needed.

Bird

/ Wheel Horse Power HST VS Gear #4  
Torque. Power appiled to the ground. 10-15% is a whole lot of power loss.

Bluegrass, Pick It Up!

/ Wheel Horse Power HST VS Gear #5  
Yep, 10-15% is a lot when you look at it as a percentage (if that's in fact what you lose, and I don't know that it is). But my point is, if you have enough power at the wheels to spin them, then what good would more power do you? Let you spin your wheels faster?/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Of course if you can increase traction, then more power might be usable.

Bird

/ Wheel Horse Power HST VS Gear #6  
I would like to start by saying that I don’t own a hydro. The way I see it is if you have an implement that has a high draw for PTO horsepower then you would have to go to a bigger tractor with the hydro. This is going on the idea that you are loosing 10-15% of the horsepower through the hydro. Would this be a correct line of thought? The reason that I had this thought was because I have one implement that uses every horse that my tractor can make. If you don't have such a PTO implement then you would be alright with a lower HP tractor with a hydro. What do you think Bird?

18-32460-1250sig.gif

/ Wheel Horse Power HST VS Gear #7  
I agree completely, Jerry. My responses were based on the original post by Shadow asking about "wheel" horsepower.

Bird

/ Wheel Horse Power HST VS Gear #8  
I have owned both types. If I am in a rush to zoom up a hill, I will get a jeep. A tractor is a low speed tool. When the job is done right, RARELY will I need more than half throttle. I do not use my tractor like a sledge hammer. The Hydro wins hands down (I am not working fields, but construction and timber work) I am sure it will outlast a gear/clutch transmission on an equal machine. Heres why:
I am not able to work a clutch as smoothly as a hydro pedal.
I grind gears constantly when shuttling a gear tranny.
I can apply power to the ground without losing traction, much smoother with more control.
smoother power application is easier on machinery and implements, resulting in a longer life for both. sudden jolts break things.
I am not concerned with losing a percentage of HP to the hydraulics, I have never needed full throttle.
Slow down and use your brain, the tractor will do a fine job as long as you use it correctly