Any Final Thoughts

/ Any Final Thoughts #1  

dlroy101

Bronze Member
For those of you that paid attention to the thread Down to Orange , I have every intention of going to the dealer tomorrow morning and buying a tractor. Which one? I still don't know. I have definitely eliminated the B7610, why get one of those when I can still get a B2410. The B2410 would be my cheapo purchase and make my wife the happiest. Plus I could get some extra implements, that I might not be able to afford right now with the other tractors. The B7800 is still in the running and would give me good operating power, but not the extra goodies of the B2630 or B3030. The B7800 falls in the middle price wise. The B3030 is a stretch, because it falls outside of the spending limit I was trying to stay at. However, it has performance and is equipped with things that would probably make my life easier during operation. Then there is the B2630. It kind of seems like the middle child of the bunch, often ignored. But it has the extra features like the B3030, it would offer better performance than the B2410, and also falls in the middle of the bunch in price. Any last thoughts for me before I head out the door in the morning?

Darrell

/ Any Final Thoughts #2  
I'm one of those extra feature and extra power type persons. But if you can not manage the B3030. I would go with the B2630. I doubt you will ever notice the power lose.
You may find when you sit down and finalize the deal. The B3030 is affordable. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Any Final Thoughts #3  
dlroy 101, I'll give you my 2 cents. I'd go for the 3030. Now I realize that it is at the edge of the spending limit but as CT TREE GUY stated <font color="orange"> It's just that a tractor purchase is a very big decision for most of us, and we'll probably be sitting on that tractor for a long, long time. Once you're sitting on it, you can never cough up the extra cash and turn it into the tractor you might wish you had bought. </font> What he stated says it all. And when you spread out the difference in price of many years it doesn't hurt as bad. Good luck in your decision.

/ Any Final Thoughts #4  
Dlroy,
My thought towards what you are about to do, since you asked, is to hold off. I've looked around for some time, and when I think back, I find it quite interesting how many options I ultimately ruled out after initially thinking that I had it figured out. Now that you are satisfied with the manufacturer, go ride them around some more. Personally, I'm for buying the right tractor first, even if that means that you can't afford all the implements you want. I'm in your boat. I feel your pain. However, they can be picked up later.

/ Any Final Thoughts #5  
I was in the same boat and I know I am buying more tractor than I need, but I figured if I buy right the first time and get it all set up then I won't need another one for a really long time, I am definetely going over my budget, but I figure in the long run I will be much happier and have a tractor that will do anything and everything I need, maybe I'll even figure out a way to make some extra money off of it.

Ryan

/ Any Final Thoughts #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm one of those extra feature and extra power type persons. But if you can not manage the B3030. I would go with the B2630. I doubt you will ever notice the power lose.
You may find when you sit down and finalize the deal. The B3030 is affordable. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif )</font>

If allowed to...I'll second your vote! I came within a few hrs of buying the B2630...and FINALLY talked myself into the extra HP and torque ( it was a short conversation..I'll admit..lol) of the B3030. I do doubt that anything I do with the 3030, I couldnt have done with the 2630.

/ Any Final Thoughts #7  
I'm b-a-a-a-a-c-c-c-k-k-k! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now Darrell, you didn't really think you could just sneak off and buy a tractor without me butting in again did you? LOL

And for the record, you asked for it! <font color="blue"> Any Final Thoughts? </font> I notice it doesn't say, "Any Final Thoughts, except from you, tree-boy". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif So here goes.

I sure do have some final thoughts. Don't think I haven't been thinking about this just because I've been leaving you alone. Oh no. Far from it. I'm inside your head Darrell, rearranging your brain cells as we speak.

I'm going to start with a psychological analysis of you, using a collection of quotes from YOU YOURSELF, as you have publicly revealed your inner thoughts, right out there in the open, waiting to be analyzed in a way that might bring them from subconsciousness to the conscious level. Here goes, in chronological order:

<font color="blue"> Whatever else I can think of that the tractor can do (Said concerning what potential uses you'll be putting your tractor to). </font> Like all of us, your tasks are going to be limited only by what the tractor can do. The more tractor you have, the more things you will be able to do that the smaller machine can't. Heavier rocks, bigger logs, bigger scoops of dirt. For as long as you own it. I know you said you were going to go at it in a leisurely pace, but you can take all the time in the world and the smaller machine won't ever be able to pick up that bigger rock. And a bigger tractor will almost certainly more than pay for itself in the added value of your property.

<font color="blue">I'm concerned with the loss in performance that I would suffer with the smaller machines though </font>I hear ya. I might be too with all those acres. Think of all the things you could do with a bigger tractor. Your pace is going to be leisurely, but your seat time is going to be limited by the amount of time you can spend there, and you might find yourself wishing that you could get things done a little faster. Getting things accomplished and seeing your dreams come true is good therapy too.

<font color="blue"> I did have the L2800, L3400, JD 780, NH TC33DA, and other larger tractors on my initial list You </font> You know it cowboy, feel those horses pounding beneath you, all that power at your control! Can you feel it? I can!!

<font color="blue"> More comments are welcome </font> Again, you asked for it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="blue"> I did hesitate to eliminate the larger tractors on my list </font> Of course you did, because you're a man!! Men want power!! End of story. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<font color="blue"> the decision has become tougher now </font> You ain't seen nothin' yet, my tortured amigo!

This brings us to the heart of the matter. What are you REALLY going to be using this tractor for? Around the house? Let's see:

<font color="blue"> but I could see some of my neighbors that are friends (or not) wanting me to do stuff for them </font> Yeah, I can see that too. Not a pretty picture, is it?

<font color="blue"> shrubs to rip up, moving bulk mulch, moving gravel to underneath the deck </font> OK, that'll take about an hour ...

<font color="blue">snow removal </font> Have you considered a Toro snowthrower? How much snow do you really get in the D.C. area?

OK, so now you have a Nissan Titan that will tow 9,500 lbs. You could tow a 5030! And you've got 15+ acres. Think really hard about what you want to do; really hard. This is a huge decision. Do you have to buy the tractor tomorrow? Do you have to start out with a brand new tractor, and hope that it can do what you'll wish it could do? When I bought my tractor, it made very good sense for me to buy it brand new. A) I had to have a specific tractor, the 5030HST. It was the largest Kubota I could get that had hydro. It ordered itself. B) There were absolutely no used ones to be found. C) The cost of a new one was not much more than the cost of a good used one anyway. D) I had to make many modifications to mine, with many more to come, that I wanted to do only once. E) It was deductible. F) I'm going to wear this tractor out in about six to 10 years, so I might as well get a new one and have it last longer. G) It's new. (That is nice, I will admit it.)

Only a couple of A-G above apply to you. I had to get married to my tractor, and knew that she was the girl for me, and we're really very happy together. You, on the other hand, have a golden opportunity to "play the field", sow some wild oats, make sure she's the one for you. I wouldn't want to marry a girl just because she's pretty, who I don't really know very well, and discover that I have "settled" for her, and really desire another.

I encourage you to think outside of the "I have to buy a new tractor tomorrow" box. Maybe think about picking up a used tractor, trying it out for a while, seeing how it suits your needs (and wants). If you try a used tractor first you'll get a great idea of what it will do, and if you'd be satisfied with a smaller one. You can always sell it for what you paid for it, and maybe even more if you negotiate like a certain one of my friends does. Or you might fall in love with it and keep it. Who knows? This is just a great time to explore all of your options without making a big commitment to a new tractor and taking a big hit on the depreciation. Explore your options, don't feel rushed, think outside the box.

Speaking of used tractors: This L3430HSTC with 753 loader, and R4s, ("C" for cab of course), with 136 hours that's in the classifieds for $22,900, no sales tax naturally, located in Pennsylvania. 136 hours is nothing. He even (most likely) did all your 50 hour oil changes. All you have to do is an engine oil and hydro oil change oil change in another 64 hours.

If you were to acquire this tractor, here's a scenario: try out a nice toasty-warm cab Grand L for the winter. Use it for the things that need doing that don't involve cutting your trails maybe. (And the more I think about it, I don't really see any tractor being all that effective at cutting in a challenging dirt-bike trail. It just seems as if you'd get awfully tippy doing that, especially in a shorter wheelbase, narrower tractor).

If you don't want to keep it after the winter is over, sell it for what you paid for it, or more (call my friend), get whatever tractor you want next, new or used, and maybe even pocket the difference. You're way ahead of the game. You didn't pay any sales tax, you took absolutely 0 depreciation hit, you got to try out an extremely nice cab tractor (with FM/Cassette - and don't forget, HEAT) and learned a huge amount from the experience. I'll even lend you a grand, interest free, for 1 year, or until you sell the tractor, whichever comes first. Maybe four other people who read this would be willing to do the same, starting with those urging you to stay within your budget. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Hey, you know how it goes in Washington - when you want something, just increase the budget. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Your Titan can easily tow it, and it would be a fun experience. And remember, buying a Kubota is not exactly the same as "spending" money. You're transforming money into tractor, and the tractor can be turned right back into money. Just as in the First Law of Thermodynamics, except here it's money, not energy, that merely changes forms and is not destroyed. This is more an investment than an expense. I encourage you to invest your money (and ours?)very wisely.

Ryan , you're psyched about getting your 3830, right? (Great choice, even better than the 3130 or 3430). Please try to help me out here. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do you really want to do odd jobs for your pesky neighbors for the rest of your life? Park that baby in WV and go see her often. Plus it won't be taking up space in your garage! And how many times can you put gravel under the deck?

OK, I'll stop now. I hope you realize that a lot of this was tongue-in-cheek, but I think it makes some pretty good sense. I just don't want you to jump into anything, and I want you to have a tractor that will really kick some butt on all those acres you have.

BTW, did you read all the posts about using the phd on the 3030? Seems like it's not a really big deal to use it without a foot clutch, and how many holes are you really going to dig? If you don't end up getting a tractor bigger than the 3030, I hope you at least get that one, and not the 2630 or the 7800. The advantages of the 3030 over the 7800 are too many, even considering the lack of the foot clutch. And 30 is greater than 26. Plus, one common piece of advice is to get the most powerful tractor in a given line if you can.

But please think about the used Grand L scenario! And remember, the B3030's will still be available in the spring! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Buy one then if you want to. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

OK, I'm done - remember, you asked for it! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good luck!

<font color="blue"> the decision has become tougher now </font>

I hope it just got a little easier /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Any Final Thoughts #8  
I have the 2630 and so far it has been great. I was in the same boat as you and I think that if you go with the 2630 or the 3030 you will be making a great decission. Good Luck !!

/ Any Final Thoughts #9  
Dont forget to get the hat! FREE. You did get the first maintenance free, right.

Have fun, this is supposed to be work but it really is fun!

/ Any Final Thoughts
Okay, so some of you may say grow a set and make a decision when I tell you I didn't do anything today, but some of it is your fault. After reading some of the comments and thinking about how capable the new truck is for towing I've had some doubts cross my mind about what I should get. Maybe I should look at the L2800HST or L3400HST or even the L3130HST. I looked at the dimensions, not that much bigger, some even narrower, plus some more weight for traction and stability. I also had a call this morning from the dealer that has given me the best prices right up front, but is a little further away from home. I'm feeling a little guilty that I'm using his quotes to get the other guy to come down on his quotes. I like both places equally, except for the distance from home. So I guess I'm back to the drawing board, but at least I have a better base to work from. I am eliminating the smaller tractors from the list though.

Darrell