L3130 Weight vs. Power

/ L3130 Weight vs. Power #1  

DAP

Veteran Member
From Orange County NY to Lincoln County ME
Tractor
JD LX288 and a B7800
I just read another forum user complain about the L3130 being underpowered for it's weight (approx 3200 lbs depending on configuration with 32ghp on the engine).

I presume this user is actually talking about weight to power ratio, but I digress.

I've heard FEW complaints about the GL series tractor and found this complaint to be the 1st I've heard of.

Anyone else feel this way about the L3130? I' ve always favored Kubota for their weight to power ratios and know that most of their designs tend to be on the light side.

??????

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ L3130 Weight vs. Power #2  
I've personally only ever seen a tractor limited because it didn't weigh enough. I know my little 16hp B series could have used another 1000 lbs! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ L3130 Weight vs. Power #3  
I've really only seen one person commenting about it being underpowered, and that's fine, we need to know if it is. For me, I think it is the best tractor I can get for the money reasonably close to my land. I'm amazed at how much more they want for the 3 additional HP of a 3430. I'm trying to decide between the 3130 or a 50-55 hp 2wd HD tractor.

/ L3130 Weight vs. Power #4  
Selecting a tractor depends on what you have to get done. In my case, horsepower is a secondary need as IMHO you'll need it most with PTO powered implements. The amount of grass cutting I do with the mower never taxes my L3130. I do most of my FEL work at 2000 RPM and mid range gearing on the HST without complaint. My 6' box blade is amply powered for the landscape work is has to perform, and is only limited by the tractor's traction. Selection of an L3130 over other models was mainly based on tractor weight, size and lift capability. An L3130 weighs over 75% more than a B3030 and has double the lift capacity (after subtracting bucket weight from both units). An L3430 would have cost $2000 more and I just couldn't justify it. At 2 months of use this machine has 61 hours and has consumed only 35 gallons of diesel. I'm very happy with this tractor.

/ L3130 Weight vs. Power #5  
I got my L3130 with FEL and backhoe in July, my first tractor, and have worked it hard. It's been up to all the tasks asked of it so far - skidding logs, building roads, excavation, mowing, driving a chipper . The only task it struggles at is pulling stumps of trees 10" and above. I can get the job done but it's too slow to make it worthwhile so I've decided to pull in an excavator for a day to finish clearing my land.

/ L3130 Weight vs. Power #6  
A tractor is about pushing a pulling things, a function of
weight and tire traction. Power is for getting stuff done fast.

That said, I have run into power shortages only when I
drive my tractor over the road and up my neighbors driveway
in top gear. Can't quite do it with loader and backhoe. I am
not a farmer, yet I can see that if you wanted to till a field
fast, power (as well as weight and traction) is going to be
important.

I have a 33hp JD that weighs only 1970 lb naked, and it is
way more limited than my 30 hp 3055 (naked) Kioti.

The L3130 is a great machine. $2K more for 3hp? Virtually
no one would notice the difference.

/ L3130 Weight vs. Power #7  
I tried out a 3130 HST on my place and really liked it, it did everything I asked of it and probably would have been plenty of tractor for me, But I am a " horsepower junkie", I admit it, so I went with the 3830, I do notice a very large difference in pulling the hills on my place, especially with the brush hog on. My 3830 also does not seem to stall into big piles of dirt and sand like the 3130 did, but that could also be that my technique is getting better. I did end up getting the 3830 HST for only 2500.00 more than the 3130, so it made sense to me.

/ L3130 Weight vs. Power #8  
So far the only limiting factor with our L-3130GST with LA723FEL is ground traction, wish it had more weight and larger AG1 tires! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It is also a super economical machine to operate, a real fuel miser.

/ L3130 Weight vs. Power #9  
My L3130DT (FST) has done everything I have asked of it. I plow heavy red clay and it does great. I also pull a 6' disc in sandy river bottom soil, and have at times buried the disc in the sandy soil and the 3130 does just fine.
It loses traction before it loses power. If weight to power is an issue there would be no need to add weight in my opinion. But I have filled the Ag tires, have FEL, and BB attached and have all the power I need for the task that I use this tractor for.

I think the issue of weight and power is really an issue of matching the tractor to the task.

The 3130 was the right tractor for "my task". But that being said, my task have now changed so its time to look at 50-70 HP tractors.