L4400 vs. L4630 (w/ Powershift Transmission)

/ L4400 vs. L4630 (w/ Powershift Transmission) #1  

npaden

Platinum Member
Tractor
2011 LS U5030C
I was able to test drive a L4400 and liked it but they had a L4630 there and the powershift transmission looked like it would really be handy. The 4630 had a lot of nicer features also but the powershift was the one I envyed the most.

The L4400 was $19,500 and the 4630 was $24,300 I think. It also had a nicer loader with a quick dettach bucket and a replaceable cutting edge.

I would be using it mainly as a chore tractor on 42 acres with some brush cutting, road work, etc. not as a commercial venture. Is the L4400 plenty good enough with the GST or will I always be wishing I had sprung for the extra to get the powershift?

Thanks, Nathan

/ L4400 vs. L4630 (w/ Powershift Transmission) #2  
Whats the difference between a powershift transmission or "shuttle shift" and GST that would make it better, my thoughts are GST is a powershift or shuttle shift with automatic gear changes that don't require you to depress the clutch and it can be done on the go. I'm a little confused by the post.

/ L4400 vs. L4630 (w/ Powershift Transmission) #3  
npaden;
I think you may be confusing the transmissons on these two tractors. The L4400 is a standard transmisson that requires the use of the clutch at each gear change. The L4630 you speak of has the GST (Glide Shift Transmission) which is the "powershift" type. My L5030 has it and I love it. Happy hunting /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

/ L4400 vs. L4630 (w/ Powershift Transmission)
Yep, you guys are right. I thought GST was Gear Shift Transmission. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The L4400 is a standard shift transmission and you need to use the clutch and come to a complete stop to shift between any of the gears. The 4630 if you hit a bad patch you just click the shifter down into a lower gear on the fly. That seemed pretty sweet to me.

/ L4400 vs. L4630 (w/ Powershift Transmission)
Okay, I went back to the dealer and looked around some more. They have a MX5000 with a LA-852 loader for $22,200 that really looks like a good bit more tractor than the L4400. Not much more HP (50 vs. 45 engine and 44 vs. 37.5 PTO) That doesn't sound like a lot but it is 17% more PTO HP for 14% more price and that doesn't include the other extras like the larger loader with quick dettach bucket and the Cat II 3 point hitch. It also weighs another 500lbs and has a little larger tires and just overall seems a little more sturdy. Plus it has the 0% interest for 3 years and the L4400 is only 0% for 12 months.

They both have the standard transmission, but I'm not sure I really need the GST.

Any other input on this?

Thanks, Nathan

/ L4400 vs. L4630 (w/ Powershift Transmission) #7  
I'd ask you to think of it like this... if you are like most of us, you will probably own and operate whatever tractor you buy for many years to come. If you spread a few thousand $ difference in price over 10 or 15 years, it's only a small amount per year. So, get the tractor that best suits your needs and likes. That is, assuming your budget can handle it, of course /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Since you say this will be a "chore tractor", I'd suspect you'll find your FEL will get lots of use (mine sure does!). Given that, I highly recommend either the HST or the GST over the standard gear shift transmission. HST would only be available on the L4630, I think. Lots of myths about the hydro transmissions... lost power, less reliable, less "manly" than a good 'ol gearshift, etc. Personally, I've found what you gain in productivity outweighs any disadvantages by about 500%, but check it out and make your own decision.

The 852 loader on the MX5000 and the 853 loader on the L4630 are first cousins... very similar capability, and both excellent loaders... some of the best available on a compact tractor. I think the loader for the L4400 is a 703... don't know much about it, but the specs say it's a bit smaller capacity than the others.

L4630, MX5000, L4400 are all excellent units, and each has its own strong points. Pick the one you like the most and enjoy!

/ L4400 vs. L4630 (w/ Powershift Transmission) #8  
npaden,

I have an L4400. I've been very happy with it. I swapped over from a Ford 4000.
The Ford was bigger and stronger and the FEL could handle a larger load.
The Ford was 2wd with ag tires and was heavier.
With the 4wd on the 4400, I can pull even more than the Ford. With the R4 tires and 1000 lbs lighter, I can cross over or work in muddy, soft ground much easier.
I have a lot of swamp on my 40 acres. The Kubota lets me get a lot more work done than the Ford ever did.
I bought as much tractor as I thought I could efficiently use. The standard transmission cost a lot less. I can shift on the fly between any of the low gears (1-4) or any of the high gears (5-8), or any of the reverse gears (1-4). However, I do have to come to a complete stop to shift from forward to reverse and to shift from low to high. I have a riding lawn mower with HST tranny and I don't like it, so that colored my view of getting an HST in the big tractor. Granted, my lawn mower is a low price machine and so the HST probably isn't the best one for comparison.
All that up front, you have to buy the machine that will handle the conditions you'll be using it under. I don't think there's such a thing as too much tractor, except in certain conditions. I really felt that a lighter weight tractor would be more beneficial to me. Also, I can fit into tighter spaces. Most of my tractor work is pulling a bush-hog or finishing mower, so the standard tranny was not a big drawback to me.
If my property had a lot less swamp, I'd have gone for a bigger tractor. It would be able to uproot and move bigger trees and more dirt.
Good luck with your choice.

/ L4400 vs. L4630 (w/ Powershift Transmission) #9  
npaden:

Obviously, you're about to make a very big purchase. I'd like to encourage you to take a good hard look at the Kubota HST transmission. For all-around work (in fact, anything but serious, all-day ground-engaging work like plowing or tilling), HST is very hard to beat. From everything I've heard, GST's are also fantastic trannies, and will get more HP to the wheels, cost less to maintain, and let your hydraulics run a lot cooler. FST is the cheapest of course, but is nowhere near as slick as the other two choices.

I'm also not a big fan of the 4630. It has the same torque as the 4330; in fact, it's the same basic engine (same bore and stroke, and therefore same displacement), tweaked with bigger injectors to give more HP; again, with no additional torque over the 4330. Marketing over engineering. The 4630 is easily the lowest-selling Grand L. As usual, apolgies to all you 4630 owners out there; just calling them as I see them.

Based on what (little) I know about your exact uses, I have a feeling you might be very happy with a 4330 with an 853 loader, with either a GST or HST tranny. With 42 acres, not too many people would accuse you of buying too much tractor either.

I don't know how many dealers you have around you, but you might be able to get a very good deal from a high-volume dealer who doesn't have to spend a lot of time on the sale. As I've probably mentioned too many times already on this site, I got my 5030HST w/ 853 loader, HD bucket and quick-attach for $24,950.

Good luck, John

/ L4400 vs. L4630 (w/ Powershift Transmission) #10  
where'd you get that deal??