pre-trade or post-trade b2410

/ pre-trade or post-trade b2410 #1  

Dale_T

Tractor
none yet!
Hello everybody. I am seeking advice on what could be my first tractor purchase. I've been researching CUTs and SCUTs for some time now and had sort of determined that a B2410 or B7610 would be a good size tractor for my uses. I had also thought about a BX23 or BX24, but I like the better ground clearance on the CUTs. I've analyzed it to death, but I've still had trouble getting down off the fence about if I really *need* a tractor, or if I'm just inventing work for myself when I look at those things for which tractors appear so useful. I think I needed a little kick in the behind to get myself moving on a decision.

Well, now I just learned that a business acquaintance happens to trading in his 4WD B2410HST on a new JD4320. I therefore could have the 2410 with LA352 loader and Woods 60" rear finish mower for its trade-in value ($10,375) plus cover his extra tax. Total cost would be $11K even. The tractor has loaded turf tires (he also has chains) and 495 hours. It has mainly been used for mowing pasture and manure handling (horse) and appears to be in good shape.

So, aside from the obvious question of whether or not this is a good price (it seems to be, based on various ads I've seen), would the added cost of getting it from a dealer *after* it is traded be commensurate with the value that the dealer would add? It seems from the many posts that I've read here (thank you everyone!) that the dealer relationship can be just as important as the tractor itself. Does anyone know how much the dealer would tend to mark up a used tractor, what he would do to it to prepare it for sale, and how well a JD dealer could/would support a used Kubota? Everyone I know that has dealt with this dealer has had a good experience with him, but they've all had Deeres.

Many thanks for all your advice!

/ pre-trade or post-trade b2410 #2  
I'm not an expert by any means, but I would think that working the deal pre-trade would be the way to go. I think you could still have a good relationship with the dealer and you could probably save at least $1,000 skipping the dealer markup on the trade-in.

/ pre-trade or post-trade b2410 #3  
If you have decided to buy that particular B2410 why would you give money to a John Deere dealer? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Given the number of hours on the tractor it will probably be quite some time before you need work on it and even then the service and/or parts would most likely come from a Kubota dealer. Keep the dealer mark up and enjoy the tractor./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ pre-trade or post-trade b2410 #4  
Dale -

The price seems reasonable for 485 hours - do you know what year it is? (ex. 485 hrs in 3 years is different than in 1 year). Might give you a better idea of how *hard* it's been worked....

Don't know what your landscape is like - but I wholeheartedly agree that the extra ground clearance of B2410 (like my B7610) is preferable to the lower value of a SCUT (ex. BX23 / BX24) - unless you have a "putting green" for a lawn - or have a definite need for a BH (which doesn't seem like it's the case - since you aren't 100% sure about your *need* vs *want* of a tractor /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

I would buy the CUT "pre-trade" - no need to fork over extra $ to the dealer. If you still use him for service / attachments etc. after the fact - then that will really cement the owner-dealer relationship.

Speaking of dealers - even if the local JD is supportive - how far is it to the nearest Kuboat dealer - as you'll invariably need some Kubota / OEM parts that the JD can't supply? It might be "penny-wise / pound-foolish" if you have to make a 4 hours roundtrip just for minor Kubota parts in the long term....

Perhaps not yet considered: in the unlikely event you developed a major problem with the B2410 after purchasing from your "business acquaintance" - would this sour THAT relationship? (Kind of like not doing business with immediate family members...)

All that being said - your profile says you have 4+ acres - the B2410 should be nicely sized to handle just about anything you can throw at it! My B7610 is essentially a "basic" model of the "deluxe" B2410 - and it's done everything I've asked of it.

I've rented a larger JD TLB several times from our local landscaping supply (ie gravel) company - and have to admit that even if I did have a BH on my B7610 like I used to dream about - I wouldn't have been able to handle some of the large stumps / boulders that I did with the rental unit.

I'd say go for the "pre-trade" B2410 - and start enjoying LAT (Life After Tractor)! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan

/ pre-trade or post-trade b2410
Thank you for the replies! Like I said, I've done lots of analysis and looked at lots of spec sheets, but I have absolutely no practical experience to draw from. Both the BX24 and the B2410 look very nice, but I don't have much backhoe work to do. My significant other would also be worried that she'd come home to lots of holes in the yard! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Mainly, though I was concerned about working in the woods.

This tractor came along by pure coincidence, so I'm thinking that the timing might be right. BTW, I'm the current owner's customer, so I don't think that he would intentionally steer me wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif In any case, he seems like a good guy who takes good care of his tools (he's a machinist).

My original logic regarding pre- or post-sale was that, given my inexperience, it might make sense to pay a few dollars more to buy it from the dealer, but I really don't have any feel for how often dealer visits are necessary, or what the mark-up would be. That said, I certainly do prefer to give away as little of my money as possible!

Fortunately, there are a couple of Kubota dealers within about 30 to 45 minutes and this tractor is most likely from one of them. (I'll find out for sure.) I'll also check on the date of sale.

Thank you again for your help!

/ pre-trade or post-trade b2410 #6  
Dale -

Your concern about "working in the woods" was exactly what pushed me away from Sub-CUTs - I have plenty of small rocks - and occassionally small stumps - to worry about. No way was 6-7" of ground clearance going to work for me. That plus the lift capacity of the LA352 FEL was about what I thought I'd need to handle some of the bigger rocks our property - it's moved (not lifted!) everything I thought it would be able to - and a couple monsters that I didn't think it would!

Ask the fellow you are thinking of buying from which of the local Kubota dealers he bought from - then take the money you saved by purchasing at the "pre-trade" price - and go to that Kubota dealer and ask for a "preventative maintenance / tune up" service. (ex. ask for a complete engine oil / HST oil & filter exchange etc.) I would think all of that shouldn't be more than @ $500 - perhaps even with pickup & drop off included???

That will certainly put you on the right foot with the dealer - plus alert you to any possible issues that you might have overlooked.

You might even pick up a boxblade or some other attachment to use as a counterweight for FEL work while you are visiting the dealer...."Attachment Fever" we call it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Having said that - as far as needing "Dealer Support" - aside from buying my Kubota oil (engine & hydraulic) and filters - and a few hardware bits & pieces - (knock on wood!) - I haven't needed my dealer for any repairs. My B7610 is 2 years old and at @ 180 hours - and I've had no issues to speak of.....ripping off a FEL hydraulic line isn't a design flaw - it was operator inexperience! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Sounds like the fellow you want to buy from is reputable and takes care of his equipment - so I'd say that's a big green (or if you prefer - ORANGE) light to buy! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hope that helps,

Dan

/ pre-trade or post-trade b2410 #7  
I have owned a B2410 with the same setup and now have a BX23. I only have about 2 acres. I liked the B2410 better. It has a smoother ride, more capable loader, adjustable rear wheel width, and position control for the 3 point hitch. I downsized to the BX23 but if I could do it again I would have kept the B2410.

The B2410 also has a better HST tread pedal design with no stickiness. Also it is better than the BX23 for brushcutting
Your price for the B2410 seems good.

/ pre-trade or post-trade b2410 #8  
Dale - look at it this way. If the Woods mower is worth about $1000 used (assuming good shape), you will be buying a B2410 with loader for $10,000. That is a great deal. I have a 2410 on a similar sized property and it is a great machine, at least for my needs. Mine has never been back to the dealer, and if anything, with those hours on it, any sort of factory defect issue should have been discovered and worked out by now. I would get it, change all the filters and fluids to make sure they are fresh, and enjoy the tractor. By the way, you couldn't buy my 2410 for $10,000! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ pre-trade or post-trade b2410
You guys are great! Thank you for all of the information. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I had the opportunity yesterday to borrow my very cool neighbor's JD4300 to prepare some ground for planting. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Much, much easier than using our 1970s-vintage Troy-Bilt rototiller! I think that all your advice and the chance to actually operate a CUT has really convinced me of their utility.

The JD4300 felt just a little too big for what I was doing and I think something that size would be a bit harder to maneuver in the woods, so the B2410 looks like it would be just right. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think I'm going to go for it!

Now I just need to figure out which implements I "need".... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif