Buying a 3130 - heavy duty bucket?

/ Buying a 3130 - heavy duty bucket? #1  

Woodsman308

Tractor
L3130HST
Hi all. First post.

First of all, I've been reading this board for a while and it has really helped me decide which tractor to buy. Thanks!

Today I am putting my down payment on a 3130HST with R4s and a 723 loader with QA bukcet. My question is do I need the heavy duty bucket or is the standard one OK? The dealer said the heavy duty one only gives you a replaceable cutting edge that I'd probably never wear out. Any inputs would be appreciated.

/ Buying a 3130 - heavy duty bucket? #2  
I had the same decision ... I went with the std bucket and a toothbar. The dealer welded some reinforcement angle across the top lip and added chain hooks too.

Here's a pic while it was still new
bucket-small.jpg

I've worked it pretty hard and have not seen any signs of it bending. I think the reinforcements (along the top and the toothbar) makeup for what otherwise would be a "light duty" bucket.

/ Buying a 3130 - heavy duty bucket? #3  
Here is something to think about. The heavy duty bucket edge without the bolt on edge is heavier than the standard bucket. It will be a longer wearing bucket all the way around.

I got the bolt-on edge but rarely have it on while having the toothbar on most of the time.

Vernon

/ Buying a 3130 - heavy duty bucket? #4  
I passed on the heavy duty bucket on our L-3130 875 working hours ago and purchased a nice tootbar for the stock bucket instead, haven't looked back since..... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Attachments

• 872042-Stump Out2.jpg
    872042-Stump Out2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 123
   / Buying a 3130 - heavy duty bucket? #5  
I'm not the best one to comment since I have a four way skid steer bucket, done all sorts of stupid things with it and I just think that other things might bend before it does.

Anyway, you might step back and think about YOUR conditions and what you plan to do with your tractor. I would tend to think that if you are moving stuff like horse manure or bark the light bucket would be fine. Or add the bracing to a light bucket depending upon your planned use. But some things might require the heavier bucket? I had the dealer come out and look at my property and what we were planning to do, his advice did change some.

I will say a hook or two is great, use the one on my bucket often!

/ Buying a 3130 - heavy duty bucket?
Well, I ended up getting the standard bucket and the toothbar. I wanted a toothbar with either bucket anyway.

SnoFalls, those sure are some nice hooks on that bucket. I think I may copy that. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In case you were curious, I have 16 acres of moderately hilly woods. I need to clear the brush out and prepare sections to plant ginseng. And, I have a 1/4 mile driveway with a hill that Ole Girl (my 45 Ford 2N) just doesn't like to go up when there's snow on it.

Thanks again for the input guys.

/ Buying a 3130 - heavy duty bucket? #7  
I bought the HD bucket for moving rock with my L3010.

"LP RCR1". I think it was the best investment on the rig.