Which Kubota: L3400; L4400; L3830?

/ Which Kubota: L3400; L4400; L3830? #1  

stevenwolfe

I've spent several hours combing through many of these threads and I'm convinced that many of you have some excellent points of view. That being said, I'd love to hear some advice on which model tractor I should purchase.

I've decided on a Kubota tractor, but don't know which model to choose. I currently have 13 acres and exclusive hunting rights on a 200 acre farm (that is planted by a farmer). I will be using a brush hog for our pastures and food plots (all together less than 10 acres of mowing/planting). I think the hardest work my tractor will endure is a 2-bottom plow and a disc (I may try a 3-point roto tiller) for 2-5 acres of foodplot plantings annually. We also have horses and a riding arena that I'll need to keep groomed (a simple task for either tractor). I can get an L3400 (34 horsepower/hydrostat) for $15k and an L4400 (45 horsepower/gear drive transmission) for $18k. To me, the L4400 seems to is a lot more tractor than the L3400 for not much more money. Hydrostat would be nice; however, I'm not sure the L3400 would give me enough horsepower. In order to get a tractor with a hydrostat and comparable horsepower to the L4400 I'm going to have to spend over $20k (The L3830).

As far as horsepower goes, the L3400 has 34.7 engine horsepower and 27.5 PTO horsepower. The L4400 has 45.3 engine horsepower and 37.5 PTO horsepower. The L4400 starts out with 11 more horsepower, has a bigger frame, it's wider, heavier and has more torque. I really like the idea of the having a hydrostat transmission; however, if I buy the L3400 I think I will be buying the bare-minimum tractor (horsepower-wise). I'm more likely to need more tractor than I am to need hydrostat. The gear shift on the L4400 is synchronized (similar to a car transmission) so you can actually shift while moving. Also, when you push in the clutch, the PTO isn't affected. You can turn the PTO on/off w/o using the clutch. The other thing that makes this tractor relatively easy to drive is that it has a gas pedal. Once you select a gear, you can use the gas pedal to increase speed (or RPMs within that gear). You can also use the hand throttle.

I guess what I really need to know is how much horsepower do I need to pull a 6-foot disc and a 2-bottom plow. I also have a 5-foot brush hog (which I feel either tractor will handle). I will be using the FEL, but not as the primary implement, and even the L3400 loader will serve my needs.

I have operated the L3400, L4400, L3130, and L3830. Although the Grand L series seem to have some more sophisticated features (deluxe seat, intelligent dash, and a tilt steering wheel) I'm not sure these features warrant the extraordinary higher prices.

I'm afraid if I buy the L3400 I'll wish I had more Horsepower later on. Is the hydrostat worth thousands (as in upgrading to an L3830 or L4330)and still ending up with less horsepower? Personally, any of these tractors will be an improvement over my current Ford 8N.

Last question: Has anyone ordered the book advertised on this website? If so, what are your thoughts?

By the way, my dad works for a Kubota dealer, so I'm able to purchase a Kubota at 5% above dealer cost. I mention that so I don't lose credibility on the prices I quoted above. However, I did give John Deere and New Holland a fair shake before I decided to purchase Kubota. Kubota tractors seem to have stronger hydraulics and seem to be able to pick up heavier loads (with the 3 point hitch). Kubota also felt more stable; probably because they had a wider operator platform and appeared to have a lower center of gravity.

Thanks,

Steve

/ Which Kubota: L3400; L4400; L3830? #2  
It sounds like you primary purpose is pull type implement and not FEL work so the L4400 would be my choice out of these three.

/ Which Kubota: L3400; L4400; L3830? #3  
It seems like you've really done your homework. I think, for what you are planning to do, you should be deciding between the L4400 and a Grand L 4330. I'm in the middle of the same process, but still looking at JD and NH. It comes down to cost. Both tractors will do what you want. Do you want to spend the extra bucks for HST, bells, and whistles? The HST would be nice when dragging the arena.

/ Which Kubota: L3400; L4400; L3830? #4  
I would go with the L4400, it is a great tractor for the price and it will do every thing you are needing to be done with it. Mine just seems to impress me more everyday that I use it. And that is saying alot when I am used to running 100 to 150 hp tractors everyday

/ Which Kubota: L3400; L4400; L3830? #5  
I have been putting in food plots with a 45 hp tractor pulling a 2 bt plow. I am turning over heavy sod that hasn't been plowed in 20 years and it makes the tractor work. I would go with no less than the 4400 for the work you want to do.

/ Which Kubota: L3400; L4400; L3830? #6  
I have the L4400 and not be happier. I went though the same process and decided I wanted the power over the GST or HST transmission. You may want to think about the FEL & rear remotes. I have the FEL, but passed on the rear remotes. Now I wish I had them. Good luck!

/ Which Kubota: L3400; L4400; L3830? #7  
I have the L4400 and could not be happier also. I wanted the power over the GST or HST transmission too With the Hi-Lo & rev. lever on your left side it is so easy to do the tasks that I need to do. The tractor is so comfortable to opperate too, You may want to think about the rear remotes I have a hyd. top link and it is so very nice to have. It is worth evey penny to have it installed. If you have a finishing mower when it is time to clean it all you do is go in on the top link and you have real good access to the under of the mower cleaning is real easy. I pull a 6-1/2 ft. KK disk with no proplem at all, even set at the most aggressive setting. A 6 ft. med duty woods brush-bull is no strain on it too. More tractor for your buck.

Attachments

• 877653-Tractor In Field.jpg
    877653-Tractor In Field.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 922
   / Which Kubota: L3400; L4400; L3830? #8  
You say your dad works for a Kubota dealer?? John who New what...get the 5030 or 3830. Implements cost as much as a tractor when your all done.does he know you let us in on their pricing?? Ill take a RTV900 please. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif