Pull behind trailer for a BX?

/ Pull behind trailer for a BX? #1  

snal

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
I need a trailer, I'd rather build one since metal work is my trade. But I'd like to get some input on size. It'll be used mostly for hauling wood and such, out of some pretty tight, unlevel areas, and maybe a few scoops of mulch now and again. I'm thinking that I should build it as a dumper.
Here are my initial thoughts....

same width as the BX
6'-7' long
at least the same ground clearance as the BX (no MMM)
minimal tongue length

/ Pull behind trailer for a BX? #2  
1. Make it 4 wheels (like a wagon) so you can detach from it and load it with the FEL and have minimal injury hooking it back up.

2. Pattent it.

3. Sell them (let me know where I can get one /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif).

/ Pull behind trailer for a BX? #3  
   / Pull behind trailer for a BX?
Hmmm? 4 wheels would be nice! Might make for easier manuevering in tight spaces, and better ground clearance in less than flat terrain.
Lemme pick your brain a bit more on this idea. Turning front axle would be required, any suspension needed, or wanted? Maybe some sort of mechanical parking brake? What size would be ideal?

I checked those pics out HarleyScooter. That's very close to what I had in mind, but the 4 wheel idea has my brain working (this could be dangerous). How wide is yours overall?

Also....I'm curious about your screen name, I assume that you ride? I'm a sportster nut, have owned 4, currently building one, and riding a FLHTC. I raced an 883 sporty in Land Speed Racing.

/ Pull behind trailer for a BX? #6  
snal, the trailer is about 64" to the outside of the fenders. I have read many threads on how hard it is to back up a wagon style 4 wheel trailer. I put a tongue stand on my trailer so I can unhook, load, rehook and drive away. Screen name? I currently ride a 2005 black cherry Ultra Classic, I have put over 25,000 miles on it so far. I am also the assistant director of our local H.O.G. chapter. I will attach a pic of the bike.
Scott

Attachments

• 875657-05HD1.jpg
    875657-05HD1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 207
   / Pull behind trailer for a BX? #7  
Snal, 4-wheel steerable wagons are a PITA to back up. I never mastered the skill of backing a loaded hay wagon into the barn....even the old timers used a hitch point on the front of the tractor to get them in. Empty, we'd grab the tongue and push them in by hand.

Think about your usage before you buy/build one to be sure that when loaded all you'll need to do is pull forward.
Bob

Nice looking ride HarleyScooter, my classic is on the market, thinking about either the new Street Glide, or a Dyna Street Bob.

Yeah, a friend pointed that out to me as well. I'll be doing ALOT of backing up, so I think the single axle with a tongue jack will be the way to go.
I have a 5 x 8 that I could hook up for other uses, but this one needs to be no wider than the tractor...or maybe 5' outside wheel to outside wheel. It may be cheaper to go the route that HarleyScooter went with as a base, which isn't much more than an axle and wheel set would cost.

/ Pull behind trailer for a BX? #10  
The dual axles dont have to be out at the ends of the trailer - you can put them both in the middle - this will give you stability when the trailer is detached as well as making it easier to back up. King Kutter has one (that I believe is manufactured by Pronovost):

King Kutter XB Trailer