BX1850 or BX2230

/ BX1850 or BX2230 #1  

Backup

Tractor
JD 2305
I'm getting ready to buy very soon, and I have these two choices. For roughly the same price, I can get a BX1850 with FEL and 54" MMM or a new leftover BX2230 with FEL and 60". On the BX2230 I like the additional power, larger tires, cruise control (the new BX don't have cruise control that I can tell) but the larger deck and additonal FEL capacity aren't a big deal to me. In fact, I'm wondering if the 60" is too big, making mowing around and between trees and obstacles more difficult. The BX1850 fits me better with the larger operator platform and I like some of the newer features like tach and the new FEL design. I intend on running a 42" or 48" tiller, and I know more HP would help but I really think the 1850 has enough HP for what I want to do. I'd appreciate any comments from owners to help me decide. thanks

FYI, I will be mowing about 4 acres, with gentle slopes and some obstacles. Light FEL work and tilling a large garden.

/ BX1850 or BX2230 #2  
i would get the 2230.
the new wider operator station is plastic.
there was a recent post showing where one broke. it was posted that it was a common problem kubota was aware of.

/ BX1850 or BX2230 #3  
I own an 1850 and love it... you will be amazed at the power

/ BX1850 or BX2230 #4  
When I bought my 2230, I also considered the 1850. The dealer told me the 2230 had much better resale value. Of course, the fact that he only stocked the 2230 might have part of the story.

/ BX1850 or BX2230 #5  
Possibly the biggest consideration is what 3ph rear PTO powered implements you may eventually get to use on THIS tractor. (Do you plan eventually to trade up?) The 1850 may do alright with the very smallest brush hog, phd, and tiller, all in lighter duty conditions. If you want to run larger of those implements, I think the 2230 is needed. The 1850 may be a bit underpowered for some other attachments that the 2230 will just be able to handle, i.e. chipper, generator. Because the Woods BH6000 backhoe runs off the hydraulics rather than the PTO, it would do fine on either tractor.

A suggestion is to make a list of every PTO driven 3ph attachment you might reasonably buy in the future. Include only the smallest one you could live with. Also list the amount of hp required AT THE PTO (not the engine hp). If you see that everything you want can only be powered by the 2230, that may make your decision for you. If either tractor can power everything on your list, then the decision will be made on other factors.

/ BX1850 or BX2230 #6  
One big plus on the newest BX series tractors that most of you might not know about is the 3 point hitch assembly has been redesigned.

The lifting arms have been moved up so attachments can be lifted higher.

Replacible 3 point bushings on the tractors frame assembly.

I am not a 100% sure but looks like it might be a true Cat 1 now.

/ BX1850 or BX2230
Thanks, good points here. I need to consider the 3PT attachments some more, becuase I would like to be able to run a generator, chipper, etc. Sounds like the new 2350 is the way to go! It might be the best of both worlds if the cost isn't too much more.

/ BX1850 or BX2230 #9  
The Bx1850 is a heck of a strong and some times underrated tractor. I strongly recommend it!

The BX1850 has a Cat 1- 3 point. It has amazing power, much more then I had anticipated.

It is the latest design from Kubota. I bought mine as a replacement for a JD 318 to basically trim around my orchard, but I find it capable of doing many of the jobs that previously required the L3010 to perform, and that is a different animal altogether. What is nice is that trees don't mysteriously disappear (I tell my wife...) when I use the BX. The L3010 will go thru a house while the BX is more agile.

I will be mowing 70% of the time and using the FEL 10-15 % with a soon to be purchased rototiller to be used occasionally. Like when all my neighbors ask me to drop by with the Kubota...:)

Good luck!

/ BX1850 or BX2230 #10  
Faced with the same decision at the beginning of this year and I chose the 2230. Full featured, bigger tires, more power, AND ALL METAL. The inevitable crack in all that plastic scares the heck out of me. With new models comes improvement, but I've noticed several things on the 1850/2350 that look...dare I say it?...cheap. That said, they will always be shiny and new looking, have brighter lights, swoopier loader arms, and certainly a more capable 3PH. Being one of those "well, I'm in this deep" sort of guys, I'd probably go for the 2350 if you decide on the new ones. Haven't met 5 HP I don't like. But in the end, tried and true is the name of the game. And the wife thought the 1500/1830/2230 just looked more like a "tractor". Not something that looks like it needs a spoiler on top of the ROPS :)

But whatever you get, it will be the right decision. I PROMISE. As long as it's orange.