rear mount snowblower

/ rear mount snowblower #1  

a1b8z

Has anyone tried a rear mount snowblower in conjunction with a FEL to move snow? I priced out a Farm King compared to a Kubotafront mount. The savings are about $1300.00 and the rear mount should mount much easier than the front mount. The rear mount would be tougher on the neck looking back. Any comment apprecaited. In response to Alaska's concern of us tiny humans infinately pumping exhaust into the atmospere.Did you forget about freon causing the sky to fall in on us. More Govt. B.S.. Be careful of what the democrats/media and their BIG LAWYERS with their DEEP POCKETS have to say about anything, it is all for power and money.We will all pay for it.Remember the ciggarrete scam.MONEY MONEY MONEY Thanks and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!

/ rear mount snowblower #2  
Play nice. I'll answer the tractor post but will not get involved in the political BS.

I was in the same position you are in, I really wanted a front blower and fell off my chair when I got the price. I got a 78' rear blower, (much bigger and heavier built than the Kubota front), and saved 2K. I bought a box scraper and bush hog with the money I saved. The nice thing about the setup is you still have the FEL to push banks back, (at the road, no banks on the drive with the blower). I also use the FEL for light storm, moving firewood, trash cans, etc. The only drawback - turning your head to watch were you're going. If you sit sideways you'll be more comfortable.

/ rear mount snowblower #3  
Had a rear mounted snowblower for years, in fact since 1983,
It has a been a great tool , I also put some new edges on the blower because of wear, up in Maine I depend on it to get me out of my 500 foot driveway...My tractor was a 1975 ford 2000 2wd up to abut 3 years ago, then went to a kubota l3600 gst 4wd which works out great.. I am a real beliver in keeping things simple...ps no sore neck yet,age 58..

/ rear mount snowblower #4  
I posted a similar question under the "Buying Kubota" section. I live in Minnesota and also looked at the Farm King. I'm not that familiar with Kabota's rear snow blower, but I think it is about $1000 more than the Farm King. The Kubota dealer said the Kubota rear blower is nice-- replacable skid shoes, etc. Does anybody know how the Farm King blowers hold up?

/ rear mount snowblower #5  
Roger, where in Maine? I'm in Fort Kent, if you're not too far, could you do my driveway?/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Keep the greasy side down.
Mike

/ rear mount snowblower #6  
Re: Farm King
In Alberta the Kubota rotatillers were made by Farm King and painted orange instead of red. Now I know its not a snowblower but this may be interesting.
Egon

/ rear mount snowblower #7  
Newbie here, waiting to have my 2920 delivered in 5 days and counting. I'm sure this has been asked in the past. Comments on using a snowblower on a gravel drive? I have about a 1/4 mile gravel drive, and have a rear blade and rake coming with the tractor. But not sure about going with the snowblower here in VA.

/ rear mount snowblower #8  
Has anyone tried a rear mount snowblower in conjunction with a FEL to move snow? I priced out a Farm King compared to a Kubotafront mount. The savings are about $1300.00 and the rear mount should mount much easier than the front mount. The rear mount would be tougher on the neck looking back. Any comment apprecaited. In response to Alaska's concern of us tiny humans infinately pumping exhaust into the atmospere.Did you forget about freon causing the sky to fall in on us. More Govt. B.S.. Be careful of what the democrats/media and their BIG LAWYERS with their DEEP POCKETS have to say about anything, it is all for power and money.We will all pay for it.Remember the ciggarrete scam.MONEY MONEY MONEY Thanks and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!

As JJT said play nice,

The three point blowers are built much stronger and are easier to attach and detach and less power is lost as the unit operates at 540 rpm through its gearbox and chain drive for the cross auger versus the use of the 1000 rpm mid mount and reduced from there.

The simple mounting of a wireless back up camera on the ROPS solves the sore neck issue and they are much less to purchase from wallys megalo marts or samurai club.

Assuming you have cruise control like our wheel horse it should work in reverse like ours.

When shopping for a blower you have to consider how wide a cut you want
to make on each pass.

Most of the large tractor builders prefer you only have a blower as wide as the rear wheels to allow easy manuvering and ease of use.

A wider blower will allow you to clear more width in one pass but you will end up with a slower travel speed to clear snow, plus the problem of wet heavy snow affecting the wider blowers performance-unless you take half cuts to overcome that issue.

The smaller the blower the more useable horsepower per foot of blower width with the 540 PTO and the amount of delivered to the wheels is constant as the speed is regulated.

It will be easier to buy a rear blower made by a farm implement manufacturer than a front or rear "branded" blower in snow season or out of snow season. as they do not have "back orders" due to building for many brands as a custom builder of attachments.

You must consider spare parts and availability of same in your purchase, shear pins are easily obtainable from tractor supply and others as they are a common part, roller chain, sprockets and repair links are a common item with a set size and easily purchased locally.

No matter the size blower you should have a "slip clutch PTO shaft" as a matter of necessity to protect the tractor drive lines and gear box of the blower. The PTO shaft has to be sized properly- be sure to size the PTO shaft at the fully raised position with the blower attached to avoid damaging the spline shafts, and bend and breaking the PTO shafts as they are hollow.

The use of the open auger configuration for rear snow blowers is a detriment
in my opinion from