Slope

/ Slope #1  

stevewilli

Better picture of my slope. Any comments on the suitability or otherwise of using the BX2200 to mow this would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 1-89155-TreeSlope1.JPG
    1-89155-TreeSlope1.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 104
   / Slope #2  
The safest way to mow a slope is drive down, back up...

From your profile : <font color=blue>UK, south coast, on a cliff </font color=blue>

Better make sure you have good brakes!!!! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Billboe

/ Slope #3  
Should be fine going up and down the slope. Attached is a photo of me on by B2710 cutting the one of the hills at my shop. I wouldn't try doing it side to side, but its not bad up and down.

18-30445-von.gif

Attachments

• 1-89174-slope.jpg
    1-89174-slope.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 92
   / Slope
I think its an Austrian/Scots pine (Pinus nigra) - they go flat topped when mature (50 yrs this one - planted by a guy called Eric Williams who wrote 'The Wooden Horse' - you've probably seen the WW2 escape film)

/ Slope #8  
Steve,
I turn around at the bottom, drive straight up and then turn around at the flat on top and drive down.

18-30445-von.gif

/ Slope #9  
I suggest you measure your slope with a standard carpenter's protractor available from any hardware store or use a Tiltmeter. Most compact tractors can operate on side slopes of somewhere between 15-20 degrees. It depends on the tread width, surface roughness, turf wetness, travel speed, other equipment on the tractor such as a loader, etc. You can find many other tractor owner comments on this board about their experiences in operating on slopes. Many express a high rise in their "pucker factor" on slopes of 15 degrees or more.

/ Slope #10  
I've a slope that goes from ~15° to 20°-25°. However, it's a short run. Now, to get the best cutting, I've got to back down to a tree line and drive up in 1st or 2nd (low range). All of this is done in low range (tractor is a JD 670 with a 60" rear mower). There is a FEL on the tractor...keeps the front end down. That, and slow speeds seem to keep it pretty safe. However, mowing this area takes longer then it did with my old 48" Wheelhorse (12HP)
I've noticed quite a few farms around here (south central PA) where farmers go across slopes (tilling, mowing, etc.) I wouldn't even think about. Reckon most of these tractors can take more tilt then we can.