Slam stop reverse Kubota question

/ Slam stop reverse Kubota question #1  

bill177

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2300
I have tried a couple of the Kubota BX24s and BX 2350s. They all seem to have a nasty hard stop when you release the reverse heel pedal.

What has been the experience with this? Does the problem go away after some use? Can it be adjusted away?

This is the only holding me from going "orange."

/ Slam stop reverse Kubota question #2  
Bill,

I have read other complaints about that somewhere on TBN. Just can't say exactly where.:eek:

I was looking at a BX24 at our county fair but have not driven one yet.

MIKE

/ Slam stop reverse Kubota question #3  
The problem will go away when you get used to the feel of the pedal. It's the same when you drive a different car for the first time. You have to get used to the feel of the pedals.

/ Slam stop reverse Kubota question #4  
It only does it if you want it to do. It is called finesse.

/ Slam stop reverse Kubota question #5  
I have driven 2 hydrostatic transmission vehicles, different manufacturers, both had the exact same reverse hardstop thing. I agree, it's very annoying.

/ Slam stop reverse Kubota question #6  
It just takes some getting used to. Sometimes you want to stop fast, sometimes you don't. A little practice and you can stop fast or slow, depending on the situation. I wouldn't want it any other way, myself.

/ Slam stop reverse Kubota question #7  
It can be disconcerting at first, but after a single hour, great value (and comfort) is found in the "firmness" of control offered by the Kubota HST. I have some relief in my yard and don't really use the brake at all because of the high degree of IMMEDIATE control offered by the treadle.

I couldn't IMAGINE what it would be like to not have the machine simply STOP when I lift the pedal. If I'm trying to low down nice, I slow down nice. When I let my foot off the treadle, it is usually for a pretty good reason.

I certainly wouldn't let this item dissuade you from 'going orange'. It is an absolutely amazing machine considering the packaging/size. Aside from a few drips of hydraulic fluid here and there and the darn shear pin in my bagger popping every couple hours, I have yet to have a SINGLE problem in nearly 70 hours of fairly hard (sometimes borderline abusive) use.

/ Slam stop reverse Kubota question #8  
I drove several machines of all colors and even the same model Kubota’s and all acted different. Appears to be machine specific. I drove one B2400 that was abrupt even if you tried to be gentle it still gave you whiplash, and another B2410 that made rolling stops no mater what you did. I ended up with a B2410 that is absolutely perfect, while mowing I can drive right up to a fence post within a ¼ inch of it without hitting it with no practice and there is no jerkiness whatsoever forward or back. Mine has some type of device I can see attached to the pedal linkage that appears to control that. I have only had it a couple months and still learning about it (no service manual) but it appears some type of device with a small hole drilled in it that allows air to escape slowly therefore controlling the speed of pedal travel? This device resembles a small corrugated plastic tube. I don’t know for sure if that’s what it does, but from a quick look is my observation. I’ve heard others say there was an adjustable spring but I’ve not noticed one on mine, but then I haven’t looked that closely because it works so well. From my experience they are all different in the way they drive, if that is adjustable I’m not sure yet. Also a drive on asphalt or concrete is not anywhere near like on dirt, will be far harsher, as will be when in 4WD.

/ Slam stop reverse Kubota question #9  
Bill,

There is an adjustment procedure for this. Talk to the service department and the sales guy. Have them make it right as part of the written contract. It is suprising how a simple turn of a nut can make this problem go away...

jb

/ Slam stop reverse Kubota question #10  
john_bud said:
Bill,

<snipped>
It is suprising how a simple turn of a nut can make this problem go away...

jb

Amen. I found that out, last weekend, when I got the manual out and adjusted my brakes. Simple and made all the difference in the world.