Chipping

/ Chipping #1  

b33b

Silver Member
Tractor
NH T1520
OK, a variation on the tractor search. I need to take care of some downed trees (spruce - several each year) and work on raking/leveling several acres, don't need any mowing.

My base for comparison is the B7800 for $15,990(and 0%) but prefer more pto hp to run the chipper without getting too large to get through the woods. I like the NH TC30 but it looks a little bulky.

The JD dealer advertises a 3203 w/loader, 5' rotary cutter, and rear blade for $18,600 - also 0%. Similer total and pto hp.

$18K is about as much as I want to borrow so I am trying to stay below 20K and will be paying cash for the chipper. Looked at used but dealers seem to want $12k+ for anything decent and that is too close to the new price.

Thanks for any sugestions.

Cal

/ Chipping #2  
If you are considering the 3203 deere tractor, I suggest you go a step up and get the 3120 tractor instead. It costs just a little bit more but the 3120tractor will be backhoe capable, the 3203 will not be. The 3203 tractor uses the 300 loader, which has a capacity of something like 750 lbs. The 3120 tractor uses either the 300x or 300cx loader, which has capacities of 1360 or 1650 lbs capacities respectively. The 3120 has stronger hydraulics @ 2400psi vs 2100psi and has greater lift capacity at the 3pt hitch, 2530lbs vs 2149 at link ends. All figures are from memory and approximate. You might want to go to the deere website to get more comparison before buying. Needless to say, deere advertises that the 3120 tractor is capable of utilizing a significantly greater assortment of attachments than the 3203. Again, you'll want to weigh the differences vs. price. Both tractors are similar in size. However, if you spend all that money only to find some time in the future that there is an implement that you can not use because you saved a bit now, you might not be very happy.

/ Chipping #3  
I'm not a dear fan but that doesn't mean its a bad tractor, I looked at the TC30 and the Boomer and bought the B7800. The big difference between the TC30 and the B7800 was the Kubota has a 4 cylinder and the Ford has a 3 cylinder diesel. It depends on the chipper you want,
Also be careful about that 0% financing. after 3 years if you don't have it payed off all that interest is retroactive so transfer the balance of that loan 2 months before your 3 year anniversary of your purchase

/ Chipping #4  
Am I reading here that the B-7800 does not have the HP to run a 3pt Chipper? That's one of the attachments I wanted..........

/ Chipping #5  
BlacknTan said:
Am I reading here that the B-7800 does not have the HP to run a 3pt Chipper? That's one of the attachments I wanted..........

It has plenty of power to run a chipper. Check the chipper mfgs for pto hp reccomendations and size it from there. Check the 3pth lift capacity on the 7800 and go over the chipper weights that will be listed as well.

/ Chipping #6  
Yea the B7800 can run a chipper just fine. I looked into that myself as it will probably be my next new attachment. There are some things I buy new and some used. The bottom line is you buy the attachment that goes with the tractor.

/ Chipping #7  
I'm running a FarmPro (Jinma) 6" chipper behind my B2910 Kubota (same engine as the B7800) - works fine for 4" diameter and under - anything larger and you have to feed it short (3' - 4') sections because there just isn't quite enough hp to handle that large of a log.

/ Chipping #8  
b33b said:
I need to take care of some downed trees (spruce - several each year) and work on raking/leveling several acres, don't need any mowing.

With mowing as a non issue, you might look at the L2800 (29 hp w/ hydro), the L3400 (34.7 hp w/ hydro), or the L4400 (45.3 hp w/ no hydro transmission option). You'd get more horsepower and more weight for chipping and dragging the trees.

If hydro is not important, I think a number of people feel that the L4400 is a terrific deal.

Food for thought ...

The Gardener

/ Chipping
Superduper said:
If you are considering the 3203 deere tractor, I suggest you go a step up and get the 3120 tractor instead.

Thanks for al the comments, I haven't looked at green as much as I have orange, but I did see a used '91 JD1070 for $12K. Liked the 40/35 hp but not the price.

4" chippers need minimum pto hp of approx. 16 hp and 6" are in the mid 20s. Dealers have been consistant in telling me that the min hp means slower feed, smaller pieces, and/or more clogged output. I, of course, would like a used 6" chipper with hydraulic feed.

Kubota, especially with HST, loses a lot of hp on the way to the PTO, NH does a bit better. Going for more hp usually means a larger but less nimble tractor, plus more money. Larger is also a benefit when loading the logs for the ride to the sawmill.

The L3400 may be just right, hadn't looked at it, but it has 29 pto hp vs. 22 for the 7800. The L4400 is probably overkill with 45/37 hp.

Hadn't read the fine print on the 0% loan, thanks for pointing it out. 0% saves about $48 a month on a three year $18K loan or a bit over $1700 - which helps narrow the gap between new and used.

Time to play with some more numbers.

/ Chipping #10  
b33b said:
Superduper said:
The L4400 is probably overkill with 45/37 hp.QUOTE]

I am certainly not one of the more experienced or one of the highly qualified members on this forum which is why I tender any opinion as merely food for thought.

With that said, I really think that your intened use of your forth coming tractor [chipping, tree clearing, etc.] warrants as much horsepower and as much tractor weight as you can possibly afford. I don't think "overkill" is possible especially when using a tractor driven chipper. I have seen several of those tandems in use, and the bigger the tractor the better the performance - hands down.

I would place the Kubota L4400 at the top of your list as the tractor to beat [assuming HST is not a desired feature which I sense is the case with you].

I have test driven the L4400. It is a gem. It has power steering for easy handling. It weighs 553 pounds more than the L3400. Its FEL can lift 529 pounds more than the L3400 at the center point. Its PTO lift capacity exceeds the L3400 by 875 pounds. It has 10+ more horsepower. It has larger tires and 2.3" more ground clearance. The tractor itself is 11" wider. It most certainly can out pull the L3400 if dragging trees with chains becomes important. Every spec that has value in the woods favors the L4400.

I am just looking at the brochure for these comparisons.

I have done a lot of woods clearing on our 15 acre property with a lot more ahead of me. That's one area where I can tap a substantial amount of experience when sharing an opinion. We're now looking to buy a replacement tractor, and I have narrowed my choice down to Kubota. I do want HST which rules out the L4400. Otherwise, this would be my tractor choice.

Best of Luck with your choice.

The Gardener