round bales

/ round bales #1  

lilhoss

Tractor
Oliver 550
Does anyone use a LA 723 loader to handle round hay bales? I am looking at a L3130 and a L3830 with a 723 loader and want to handle 5 foot bermuda hay bales. I don't know exactly what they weigh, some are much heavier than others. It would be nice to be able to handle larger bales if I needed to. I have spoken to several dealers and most say no problem but one (St Louis area) says it may not be big enough. This dealer says the loader will lift the bales but there may be a problem lifting them high enough to stack.

/ round bales #2  
See my equipment below, it'a about 50hp.... I handle 100 or so round bales annually, 1500 LBS each... acquiring them and feeding them... my opinion is that my equipment is the MINIMUM that can be used to safely handle heavy round bales. Critical to safety is using a hay spike .... cobbeling up something on a bucket will not work (you likely were not anticipating doing this, just making my opinion known) Key, also, is REAR WEIGHT. I achieve this by having a 3ph hay fork on the rear, loading a bale on the rear FIRST then on the FEL spike, plus 200 lbs extra weight on the rear fork, plus liquid in rear tires. Without this weight, nose dives are imminent. My opinion is that 4 wheel drive is also critical to safety.

Net... if you are only going to do a smaller number of bales, a rear fork is a better deal than a FEL spike. If you are needing to lift bales very high to load them on a trailer, then a FEL approach is mandatory. I just looked at your profile (thanks for filling it out)... for 5 acres and miniture horses.... looks like you are going to be messing with just a few large bales... I definately recommend NOT using a FEL for this, but either a rear fork or a 1 bale hay buggy... they come from a simple 2 wheel plus spike and manual winch to more complex ones. It tales MUCH less tractor to mess with bales from the rear than from a FEL. Cheaper equipment, too.

Bottom line, I think that a L3130 is a little light/small for what you are wanting to do VIA FEL although I haven't checked the specs compared to my machine...... best idea would be to locate someone in your area who has this machine, or larger, and the bale size you are anticipating on handling... and go drive that machine and see how it feels and handles. That's the only way to be comfortable with your decision... before you buy.

/ round bales #3  
lilhoss - I use a 3830 & 723 w/quick attach at my parents place.......had the farmer across the street drop off a couple 5'? round bales. Put the pallet forks on in place of the bucket to move the bales......no problem but wouldn't want to do it every day...carried them as low as possible...was not very comfortable raising any more than necessary......Rhino 6' box blade on the back for ballast.......have no idea of the weight of the bales.....as texasjohn says...if u are only handling a few I think u'd be o.k........but I would go with a 3830 over the 3130 for sure.........Chuck

/ round bales
Thanks, texasjohn and worksmart for the good information. I had pretty much decided on the 3830 over the 3130 but now I am worrying that the 3830 is not big enough. I will not use the tractor often but if it is not big enough to move the bales I really don't need it. I would really like to be able to remove bales from the back of my pickup, pick them up off a flat bed trailer and stack them at least two high for storage.

/ round bales #5  
You might want to look at the 5040.

/ round bales #6  
lilhoss - The whole issue is the ballast. I only had a box blade. The tires are NOT loaded. The loader is plenty strong enough. Loaded tires I'm sure would make a big difference on the 3830. For the amount of bale handling you indicate you will be doing, I think the 3830/723 would suffice but definitely with more ballast. Chuck

/ round bales #7  
The lift capacity of the LA723 is between 1400 and 1800 pounds depending on where it is measured from, with 1400 being the practical limit. With bales weighing 1500 pounds I'd say that was pushing the limits of the loader too.

/ round bales #8  
I have never lifted a round bale, but for 2k more than the L3830 with LA723 you could get an L4330 with LA853 loader. I think that is the same basic setup that texasjohn has except the tractor is 7 HP less. You don't need the HP to move bales. Of course you would have to ballast right.

CR

/ round bales #9  
OK... you've defined your requirements:

"I would really like to be able to remove bales from the back of my pickup, pick them up off a flat bed trailer and stack them at least two high for storage."

My opinion is that you need an LA853 loader to do this. Your most CRITICAL requirement is to be able to stack 2 high. This means lifting a heavy bale very high, hay spike required, my opinion, not pallet forks, and LOTS AND LOTS of ballast. It's the high lift that defines the hydraulic power you need. So, look at the specs at MAXIMUM LIFT HEIGHT.... that is what will determine what loader you need.

Let me be explicit, I will NOT lift a bale high (and 2 bales high is very high) UNLESS I have a bale on the rear of my tractor for ballast in ADDITION to other ballast weight that I have, including fluid filled tires. Then, it's a breeze. I am sure that on totally flat ground with good traction and 4WD you can do it with less ballast, but farm/ranch conditions are NEVER that way... it is very often slick, uneven, rainy, slanted ground when you MOST need to use the tractor.

Fundamentally, your requrement regarding hay bales is the same as mine was..... the 5030 and LA853 loader are exactly what I need and are safe, but I wouldn't want to do it with less loader or less total properly distributed weight. My equipment is very capable of doing that job and safely, but I can tell that for me anything less would be a constant struggle and worry about doing something wrong that would quickly turn into a serious problem. For me, it is a perfect functional match.... not oversized for the job, nor undersized... and I think I know the difference both ways.

It's a lot of money. If funds are less important, then I can highly recommend my set up. If you need to use less tractor and can live with pulling bales out of your pickup and off the trailer with ropes (as I used to do), and not stacking them, then I, again, recommend you look into a 2 wheeled hay buggy that can be pulled behind either a pickup or your tractor on the trailer hitch. If your 2 bale high lift requiremets are firm, then you MUST get a loader capable of lifting 1500 lbs to max height... remember that when first baled hay weighs a lot more than when fully dry... and when rained on it again weighs a lot more... from my experience, consider 1500 lbs the weight of a round bale, leave some room for weight of the quick attach, hay spike, etc. and you will be OK.

/ round bales #10  
lilhoss, is there any reason you are tied to the large round bales? There are balers that make small round bales, I'm guessing 3-4 feet in diameter? Most smaller hirse farms around here purchase square bales. Either one would cut down on your tractor requirements significantly.

Also, can someone please explain to me why everyone says not to use pallet forks for moving round bales? I've heard this several times and don't understand. My B-I-L uses pallet forks on both of his larger JDs for moving bales. He is a cattle rancher and told me recently that he gets 400-500 bales in a good season (I'd guessed around 200 earlier). He keeps the forks a certain width apart and scoops the bales up very efficiently, he transports them this way and stacks and loads them too. He often asks me to do so as well. What is the danger? What do I need to know?