What is definition of a Compact Utility Tractor (CUT)

/ What is definition of a Compact Utility Tractor (CUT) #1  

machmeter62

Platinum Member
Are all "L" series Kubotas consided a CUT? If not, where is the cut-off?

/ What is definition of a Compact Utility Tractor (CUT)
Tom---Thanx for the reference site, I had looked there earlier, but maybe I over looked something, I get accused of that often! I am curious if there is a definitive answer, (i.e. range of horsepower, H.P. to weight, or combination thereof.) To me it is still a confusing issue. I purchased four tractors over a period of 30 years from SAC Ford Tractor, and they are good people to do business with. the last purchase was over the phone, and it was for a NH/Ford 1720, and Harold said, "oh, you want another COMPACT!" I said, "WHAT!" It was in July 2000, and I wasn't sure we were on the same page, because the 1720 weigh's 2800#, BUT ONLY 28 h.p. Upon further conversation, I asked why they called them compacts; even he didn't know the answer, and I have never seen it defined or published anywhere?

/ What is definition of a Compact Utility Tractor (CUT) #4  
I believe all the "L" series are designated as CUT's, as are the JD 3000 and 4000 series even though they can have 50+ hp engines. I think the designation has more to do with frame size and weight rather than pure hp though it does get a little blurry at times.

/ What is definition of a Compact Utility Tractor (CUT) #5  
I think the term CUT is pretty broad, kind of like 'sports car' and 'SUV' and 'truck'. I think the manufacturers decide what they want to call a CUT, a utility tractor and an Ag tractor.

I was driving one of my B-I-L's small JD's this weekend. Don't remember the model number, but a 2000 series from probably the early 70's. It is physically smaller than my Kubota L4400 but man it is built like a tank. The tranny and diff and PTO area massive. Lots of steel in that thing.