Bale spear for MX5000 w/LA852 loader

/ Bale spear for MX5000 w/LA852 loader #1  

Stackwood

Bronze Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota MX5000
We will soon be getting a MX5000 4wd with loader. We plan to go to round bales for feeding. That's one reason we went with the heavier loader, in order to get a quick detach bucket. Dealer quote for a FEL spear is $525. Good price? Some here have experience moving round bales. We're assuming bales up to 1500#. We plan to have filled tires and lots of ballast in the back, probably another hay bale when using the FEL spear. We live on a hilltop which will necessitate hauling the bales up a steep driveway, 25% grade in some areas. Speed won't matter. I figure total rolling weight will be on the order of 9000#...anyone ever exceeded the brake's capacity to hold? I'm sure we'll be going up in double low.

Can't wait to get the new tractor. We're moving up from a hard used 1962 MF165. All advice and shared experience appreciated.

/ Bale spear for MX5000 w/LA852 loader #2  
I just got a Kubota bale spear for my M4900 with LA1002 loader and it was about $75 more than your quote. A lot of $ but it seems HD and I love the Kubota QA, very easy to use.
Good Luck with your new set up, sounds like you will be using your equipment to the max.
Dave

Attachments

• KubBlSpr3.jpg
    KubBlSpr3.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 2,286
  • KubBlSpr2.jpg
    KubBlSpr2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,478
   / Bale spear for MX5000 w/LA852 loader
I've been away too long! Thanks for the pics. That is one heavy duty bale spear. I'm glad to hear that the quick attach works so well.

With luck the tractor will be delivered, complete with spear, tomorrow. Man have I got a lot of chores lined up. Bush hogging, digging up stumps, moving deadfalls; I've even got a foundation to dig. Can't wait.