Self-Leveling - basic question

/ Self-Leveling - basic question #1  

rbargeron

Elite Member
Tractor
L5450, L48, L3250, L345
Given the apparent pain level associated with Kubota's hydrailic self-leveling FEL, I was wondering why a mechanical linkage (like many other machines have) is not used. What are weaknesses of the multi-link setups ? Something like the system on JCB loaders seems simple and reliable - but I guess it would mean a redesign of the basic "look" of the loader.

/ Self-Leveling - basic question #2  
I understand the problem to be the extra weight the additional structure would add to the loader, subtracting from the capacity of the loader. I suspect the structure would have to be pretty substantial to take the loads and add to the ballast needed to hold the rear end down. Maybe someone else has a better answer.

/ Self-Leveling - basic question
The B21 and L35 both have a leveling feature - I haven't seen one up close - can anybody post a picture? Or describe it? Thanks

/ Self-Leveling - basic question #4  
Dick,

A couple of rods run up the right loader arm. A bell crank @ the loader end is driven by the bucket movement. This forces the rods to move back and forth. At the loader joy stick, one rod enters the control valve to move the spindle to effect the bucket curl/dump circuit. Sorry, no camera no scanner... no picture, but I do have a tractor/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Hope this helps.
Al

/ Self-Leveling - basic question #5  
OK, so why does this arrangement add so much weight? It doesn't sound like it should. Maybe I'm missing something?

/ Self-Leveling - basic question #6  
Dick, I don’t see where weight would be the issue. It is just a guess, but I wonder if the capacity of the loader made the engineers feel a mechanical linkage would not be smooth enough for the loads the L48 can lift. Of course it doesn’t sound like the hydraulic system they came up with is quit right either.

MarkV

Thanks Al - given a choice between a tractor and a digital toybox, I'll choose the tractor anytime.

So the B21/L35 self-level system is actually hydraulic with mechanical feedback to the valve.

I still like the all-mechanical 4-bar linkage that JCB and others use. Doesn't seem like it should reduce loader capacity. Some pretty big machines have it.

Dick Bargeron ------- L5450 - Power is good, so is weight.

/ Self-Leveling - basic question #8  
Dick - I agree. I don't have much experience with self-leveling loaders, since the EarthForce is my first, but I can't see how you can get any simpler, stronger, or more effective system than the mechanical linkage.

Mark - got any pics of your EF or some links ?

/ Self-Leveling - basic question #10  
Dick, Like Al, I have a B21 with the mechanical feedback which actuates the self-leveling feature. It works pretty well for me and has for the last 750 hrs of use. You lost me when you refereed to a “digital toybox”. I normally think of digital referring to an electronically activated system and I am not aware of that being used on any of the TLB’s.

MarkC, knowing that you are not digitally photo challenged, like myself, I would also be interested in see how the self leveling system works on the EF.

MarkV