FST vs GST vs HST

/ FST vs GST vs HST #1  

napabavarian

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota L3830
The more I read the more I wonder what to go with...

On the GST how/where is foreward/reverse controlled?

Also, can anyone point to the price differences/jumps between transmissions?

Thirdly, is the GST a electro hydraulicaly controlled planatary gear type transmission like an automotive automatic or gear drive like the FST, but with more gear ratios?

/ FST vs GST vs HST #2  
I can only answer part of your questions but I'll offer up what I know. The directional lever for the GST on my L35 is on the left side of the steering column, basically like where the turn signal lever is on an automobile. I bought mine used so I dont know the HST/GST price difference. I have operated some HST in the past on machines similar to the size of my L35. I personally like the GST better. I am in no way saying it is faster because it isnt, I just personally like it better. I know the clutch for the GST on the L35 is hydraulically controlled. I use the clutch about half the time depending on what Im doing. You could almost never use. Hutch

/ FST vs GST vs HST #3  
Napabavarian.

The forward/reverse is controlled from a “shifter”on the left side of the steering column.

The GST is effectively a manual transmission with a hydraulic clutch. You get the best of both worlds.

Hope this is of some help,

Gary

/ FST vs GST vs HST #4  
napabavarian said:

Also, can anyone point to the price differences/jumps between transmissions?

Thirdly, is the GST a electro hydraulicaly controlled planatary gear type transmission like an automotive automatic or gear drive like the FST, but with more gear ratios?

More of a combination of both. There is a hi/low, 4 gears and a shuttle shift (reverser). It is hydraulically actuated, but not like a car's transmission with drums and bands. However,there are clutch discs for the shuttle and PTO.

The shuttle and PTO along with the hydraulic "brains" are in the mid case. Actuated by a lever on the left side of the steering wheel. The gears and such are in the rear trans/diff case. Actuated by a lever to the left of the seat.

From looking over the service book, I don't want to work on one! There is a lot of snit to get out of the way, just to get to the trans and split the tractor.

On price, that's a tough one. In Wisconsin back in 2000, the HST was a couple hundred LESS than the GST. The straight gear tractors were about $800 less, but nobody had any. The dealers would only special order them.

Oh, and the hidden gold plate was not yet a manditory addition!

jb

/ FST vs GST vs HST #5  
napabavarian said:

I looked at GST, never got to drive one, but always wanted one. Looks like a great tranny, and Kubota has a good rep with their GST.
Bob

/ FST vs GST vs HST #6  
When we were testdriving Kubotas we didn't care for the jerking motion when shifting the GST. The HST (for us) was a better choice. Price differential was not too bad as I remember, something like $800 or so.

/ FST vs GST vs HST #7  
Unless it was already posted; who all is going to operate the tractor, short term work, or future long term work, which will help in our answers to better suit your decisions on transmissions. I have a small fleet of manual, shuttle, and GST, but no HST. If most of your work now or in the future is ground engaging work, my choice would be the ones I own. My wife doesn't drive, and won't drive any of them, even if I had a HST! If loader work, lawn mowing, bush hogging in confined areas around tress, etc, I think the popular choice would be HST!! I maybe wrong, I have never operated a HST, but the tractor must be stopped to change any of the three ranges, and the throttle is set at a constant RPM, which provides precision movement? The movement FWD/REV is controlled with a pedal only. I would test them all before deciding to prevent buyers remorse. Watching an experienced HST operator operate; mowing or loader work will make the decision easy? Since the HST operates at a constant RPM, the fuel usage and noise will be slightly greater if that is a concern for you?

/ FST vs GST vs HST
I don't intend any other than myself and possibly room mate use it, jost people who know how to properly operate machinery, I don't mind shifting myself, and tractor will see just about any use a tractor can see, only a couple tight spaces, but they are so small that even using an 8N I am in and out in 10 minutes discing or mowing, more time will be spent in larger areas :p

/ FST vs GST vs HST #9  
Here is my quick answer. If you are going to be doing mostly straight line, ground engaging work, such as plowing, discing, cultivating the FST will be all you need. If you are going to use a loader or mower than GST or HST is better since it is easier to change directions. If you are going to use your tractor for mostly ground engaging work with limited loader use than go with GST. If you are going to use it mostly for loader work than you will want the HST since you can keep one hand on the wheel, one hand on the loader joystick and use your foot to change directions. With GST you will need your left hand to change directions. I would also recommed GST if you are going to do anything that involves long straight runs with few turns such as mowing a field, or if you do heavy ground engaing work. HST noise can get a little tiresome on long runs, whereas the manual transmissions are quieter. Unless there is an objectionable price difference between FST and GST, I would go with GST. You can shift it like an FST if you want by just using the clutch. Hope that helps. Good luck.