How's this Package?

/ How's this Package? #1  

RET

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200, JD LX277, Cub Lo-Boy
How\'s this Package?

From the great feedback I got on the "In the Hunt for a BX" post, here's the package I've decided to get quotes on:
BX2200, 60"mmm, FEL with toothbar and a couple of lifting hooks, 4' Box Blade, 50" rotary tiller, and grill guard.
Still debating turf/bar/both and whether or not to get the upgraded alternator.
TresCrows, I know you're disappointed that I'm not shooting for the new TLB that's on its way or at least the 7500, but I just can't justify any more machine than this. And, since mowing is the main job and I like well manicured lawns, I'm pretty welll convinced that I'll be tickled with the BX (for a few years anyway!).
Only got a couple of questions:
1) how's this package look? Miss anything? (see "in the hunt for bx" post for uses)
2) Drop me some brand names of good, reliable box blades and tillers that are REASONABLY priced. These pieces will only see occasional use. Any brands I whould avoid?
Thanks!
R

/ How's this Package? #2  
Re: How\'s this Package?

RET, I can hardly be dissappointed! You are getting a BX and that is a lot better than a Dell dude!!!! I never really thought you needed the 7500 but I just did not want to be the one that told you to go small and then have everyone jump me if you decided I steered you wrong /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif .
On the boxblade, don't go overboard, some 4 foot boxblades may be to much for the BX, something around 300 lbs is about right and preferably the shallower type which helps with clearence and provides more range of adjustment with the low slung BX.
Toothbar? you sure about that--well--I suppose. I imagine you will be happier with the bar tires in the long run--a change from my earlier thoughts. They are wide enough and soft enough that with a little thought you should not have problems tearing up your lawn.
Good luck.
J

/ How's this Package?

J,
Do you have a concern with the toothbar? I had read several posts stating that the teeth really help break up hard ground.
If I remember right, one writer guesstimated his "bite-ability" increased 25-30% with the teeth (not sure how you quantitate such things, but it did sound impressive!)
And, I figured I could easily remove the bar when needed - it's held on with only a bolt on each bucket side wall.
I'm just trying to give the lightweight BX every advantage I can.
Any teethy comments pro/con out there?
R

/ How's this Package? #4  

RET, if you intend to do any digging at all, other than scooping up loose material, get the toothbar.

/ How's this Package? #5  

A couple of thoughts....

I had a single hook welded to the top center of my bucket, with a metal plate welded as a base on the brackiet for the tilt cylinder. I find it easier to balance a load from a center hook than two hooks at either end. It's important that any lifting you do be centered, otherwise, you tip your baby. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

Get the tooth bar, I plan on picking up one myself.

Consider having a skid plate welded to the bottom of the bucket, particularly and the back edge. I scraped up mine pretty good before I had one welded on, and I could see that a few years of this would wear through the bucket. Adds strength, too.

I have a woods GB48 box blade. Very happy with it, at a reasonable cost. I also have a Howard Rotavator Tiller (50"). Very satisfied with it, too.

In short, your gonna love the machine. You'll have lots of fun with projects, too, like putting on extra lights. It's amazing what you can do with the mighty BX...

/ How's this Package? #6  

My only concern with the toothbar might be overstressing the lip of the bucket but I imagine it will be OK-no experience here to say anything really.
Yes a chain hook in the middle of the bucket is great, if they are on the sides then a y-harness is used for anything heavy. Because the BX has a center cylinder and that area is already reinforced a center hook is perfect--you may still want some on the sides for tying down things like railroad ties. Speaking of which--not knowing your level of experience with tractors compared to mine when I got my BX (relatively speaking darn little) do not attempt to lift things like railroad ties, logs, pipes etc above hood level unless they are secured and even then only with great care. An item like mentioned can slip off the bucket and slide right down the loader arms right back on top of you----then you and the BX get smushed.
J

/ How's this Package? #7  

I think everything in your package sounds good,although I would recommend a little bigger Finish Mower...

Attachments

• 1-97807-BXjpeg1.JPG
    1-97807-BXjpeg1.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 75
   / How's this Package?

Thanks for the info.
I've heard several good comments about the Howard tiller.
The idea about a center hook sounds good too. And, yes I know about rolling logs back into you lap - that couldn't be a pleasant experience. I'll consider the bottoms reinforcing plates after a little use. I may not need it here in south La. I live on an old Mississippi River flood plane. The top 12" of soil is rich, dark, soft and 100% rock free. Below 12", you run into a VERY dense, dark clay - we call it "gumbo mud" down here.
Luckily, the only time I ever plan to be that deep is when digging post holes.
Yesterday, between rainstorms, I had to dig a hole by hand in the yard to replace a sewer sump pump (we have strange septic systems here!) and was reminded again of how easy it is to sink a shovel into this soil compared to the rocky, red clay of East Tn where I grew up. I believe the FEL on the BX is going to have a ball tearing into this property!
Well, gotta load up the tools and head across town - time to start constructing our Mardi Gras float. It's that time of year again.
have a good one!
R

/ How's this Package?

mreeter,
Great looking rig you have there and a beautiful homestead!
Let me know the next time you paint the house. I want to get some Sherwin Williams stock just before you purchase the paint!
As for my needs, anything above 60" starts getting too cumbersome around the numerous trees and obstacles in the yard. Anyway, to go larger than 60" on a BX would require a rear finishing unit - and that would slow me down and cause loss of maneuverability. When it comes to mowing, I want to get it done reasonably fast with good quality. When it comes to the other stuff, l'm in no hurry - it's just play anyway!
Thanks
R

/ How's this Package? #10  

Ret,I was just joshen ya,we have a 60" MMM under our BX and it does a SUPER job of mowing.