Price Check Request for opinion on price - Kubota MX5000

/ Request for opinion on price - Kubota MX5000 #1  

Raindance

Tractor
Kubota MX5000
Hi folks,

I came across this forum during my tractor search. It took awhile to get approved to post so this is a 'look over the shoulder' at the tractor I decided on as of yesterday so I'm asking if you think this is a fair price and the right tractor:

We have a 20 horse farm so I need a tractor for moving round bales - anywhere usually from 900 lbs to 1500 lbs, hauling firewood, plowing the driveway and misc chores around the farm plus running a mower/brush hog in the Summer.

I started looking at used tractors and during my search looked at a new Kubota MX5000 which got me to thinking: I could buy a used 30 year old tractor to do what I want - and probably spend a good deal of time tinkering on it to keep it running, etc. or just bite the bullet and go new.

The dealership quoted me $18,000 for a new MX5000 SU with FEL. They said the LB702 would do what I needed fine, so quoted that with quick attach/detach brackets, 2WD, chains, rimguard (rear tires filling), quick attach bale spear.

I called two other dealerships around the area and they were roughly in the same range, each was within a couple hundred of each other.

So my questions are - is this a fair price overall and do you think this is a good tractor for doing what I want to do? I suppose it's not too late for me to call off the deal, as it's not being delivered until next week but my gut has been telling me for two weeks that this is the tractor and to just go ahead and buy new rather than buy a used and have issues with it starting and issues with things breaking, etc.

Your thoughts?

/ Request for opinion on price - Kubota MX5000 #2  
I doubt you will ever look back once you make the move to a new tractor. The MX5000 is a lot of machine for the money - a good overall value. If you will be moving round bales with a rear-mount spear or forks, AND if your place is reasonably flat and not too wet, then 2wd should work for you. But IMHO the best money you can spend on making a tractor more versatile is 4wd. There are many 2wd owners here - but many more with 4wd. If a tractor is used primarily for pulling rear-mounted attachments and does not have a front end loader, 2wd gets it done very well. But the very first time you are headed slightly downhill, have load in the bucket or a bail on a friont spear, and you need to back up - that's when 4wd is the difference between moving and not. My 2 cents. As always, prompt cheerful refund if info is bogus;)

/ Request for opinion on price - Kubota MX5000 #3  
Considering that Bob and I live in the northeast, the prices you were qouted, are superb.. Get the new MX5000 and don't look back...

/ Request for opinion on price - Kubota MX5000 #4  
Hi raindance, I own a 2005 MX5000. I figure I'm as qualified as anyone to mention an observation or two. The tractor is a beast. It has more than enough hosepower at the wheels and PTO to do anything you'd want. I use the tractor to work on maintaining ATV trails for the local ATV club. I do lots of trenching and trail / road repairs. I also helped renovate a section of class 6 road up the side of a mountain which was badly washed out and the local fire and police wanted access in the event of an emergency. Anyway, I found that the bucket that comes with the LB702 loader is about 250lbs. It's shallow and does't hold much material and is terrible for backdragging and grading. It's too light and the back of the bucket isn't designed well for back dragging. I had enough of it and threw it out. I bought a Woods skidsteer quick attach bracket for the LB702 loader for $1000.00 and a new Woods bucket for $700.00 (great price). The bucket is much heavier duty, came with a reversible cutting edge, is deeper (holds more material) and the back of the bucket does an awesome job of leveling / back dragging. The hydraulics are a little on the weak side. The Woods bucket is much heavier, so the weight detracts from the amount of material you can lift. I'm still MUCH happier with the woods bucket. You may want to look at the LB852 (I believe that's the other loader available) for the tractor. It is more heavy duty and can lift more. I wish I got that one instead. I work on some pretty nasty inclines. I couldn't imagine not having 4 wheel drive. I use it most of the time. I back up the trails / roads backwards with the loader below me in case I tip. I have a BH9000 backhoe on the tractor that does a nice job trenching and digging out big rocks, etc. I didn't order this tractor, I bought the one they had on the lot. One of the mechanics mentioned to the sales guy while I was in his office, that the tractor didn't have the 852 loader on it. I was so excited, I told him I didn't care. Over all, this is a really nice tractor and am very happy with it. If you have any more questions let me know. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Howard

/ Request for opinion on price - Kubota MX5000
Hi folks,

I can't tell you how much your opinions are helping, I truly appreciate it.

I know how great 4WD would be on this tractor, believe me. But if I want to be able to afford a new tractor, in this size, I either need to sacrifice the 4WD or I could go with a used 4x4 and in this dealerships case it would be dropping down to the TC40 New Holland, couple years older with a couple of hundred hours on it. It would be the absolute minimum size I could use for my operation and the bales would actually be at the top of its operating range.

And honestly, every time I looked at it - and then went and looked again (and again) at the MX5000, I just had to have that tractor.

My area is fairly flat - we have the same mud in the spring as probably everywhere else and worst case is we keep using our 4x4 pickups for moving the bales then. We get a lot of snow but I'm hoping with the weighted back tires and chains I'll do alright. I've read your posts on 4WD, but again, I'd have to drop down in tractor size or go with a used old(er) tractor so I'm hoping I've found the balance between budget and desire/need in this model.

The loader size issue that Howard brought up I'm going to seriously think about. While I don't have as much use for it currently as you guys sound like you're using it for (other than hauling firewood and snow removal, manure removal, etc.) it makes sense to plan for the future.

It sounds like you folks really like your MX5000s and that this is a good bid, which is very reassuring as well. It's hard to find tractor values online and this is the best reassurance I've found. I can't thank you enough.

Jeff
Raindance Farms

/ Request for opinion on price - Kubota MX5000 #6  
Raindance said:
Hi folks,

I can't tell you how much your opinions are helping, I truly appreciate it.

I know how great 4WD would be on this tractor, believe me. But if I want to be able to afford a new tractor, in this size, I either need to sacrifice the 4WD or I could go with a used 4x4 and in this dealerships case it would be dropping down to the TC40 New Holland, couple years older with a couple of hundred hours on it. It would be the absolute minimum size I could use for my operation and the bales would actually be at the top of its operating range.

And honestly, every time I looked at it - and then went and looked again (and again) at the MX5000, I just had to have that tractor.

My area is fairly flat - we have the same mud in the spring as probably everywhere else and worst case is we keep using our 4x4 pickups for moving the bales then. We get a lot of snow but I'm hoping with the weighted back tires and chains I'll do alright. I've read your posts on 4WD, but again, I'd have to drop down in tractor size or go with a used old(er) tractor so I'm hoping I've found the balance between budget and desire/need in this model.

The loader size issue that Howard brought up I'm going to seriously think about. While I don't have as much use for it currently as you guys sound like you're using it for (other than hauling firewood and snow removal, manure removal, etc.) it makes sense to plan for the future.

It sounds like you folks really like your MX5000s and that this is a good bid, which is very reassuring as well. It's hard to find tractor values online and this is the best reassurance I've found. I can't thank you enough.

Jeff
Raindance Farms

Jeff,

I had the great opportunity to drive the MX5000 today..what a great tractor. I actually was purchasing an implement from an estate sale, and the guy tossed me his keys and said "use my tractor to load it"! It was great.

I would get the FEL, I would get 4wd, but you know your situation more than I do. If you are to make payments, the difference wouldn't be much.

Best of luck, you are purchasing a great tractor.

/ Request for opinion on price - Kubota MX5000 #7  
Raindance, our circumstances are amazingly similar. I looked at used tractors and baulked at paying $10,000 for a 20 year old machine. As I understand it, Kubotas depreciate about as fast as inflation, which means your $18k machine will be worth about that 20 or 30 years from now. Kind of puts into perspective the economics of automobiles, huh?

I went out looking for the least tractor that I could move round bales with. I ended up with a 4wd MX5000 with the LA852 loader. I'm crazy about it. We have a hillside farm, and the difference 4wd makes is dramatic even without a loaded FEL. I'll never go back. The tractor has gobs of power. It's a little light for digging, but I have a toothbar on order which should really help. Bear in mind that I compare it to an ancient Case 530 backhoe we used to own which was built to a whole other order of magnitude. Still wouldn't trade back :) .

Tractor fever is contagious. My dad caught it and bought an L3400, about 2/3 the size of the MX5000. Very cool tractor, plenty of power, much smaller. The loader is much lighter built. If I didn't have to move round bales I think it would suit me. The LA852 loader has an articulated bucket tilt arrangement which gives it a lot more breakout power. It's also cross reinforced under and over the tractor chassis. As I recall it has a lift capacity of 2400-2600#. All round bales aren't alike; big wet ones might weigh 2000#. That weight is relatively far from the pivot point. There may be circumstances where the LA702 would let you down.

HOWEVER, there's a problem with the LA852 loader. It's a quick attach, but it has a different, more primitive system of attachment with separate pins instead of a spring loaded lever. Because of this difference it's been hard for my dealer to find a bale spear for it. He's been looking for SIX WEEKS. Still aint found it. Kinda aggravatin'.

I didn't know the LA702 could be ordered with a quick attach. I might have gone with it if I'd known, and saved a few bucks. As it is, I'm happy, or will be when I finally get my spear.

How long will you be keeping your tractor? If for decades, the cost of 4wd won't mean much. If only a short time, the tractor's resalability and value will be much improved by 4wd. I think where you're really going to miss it is with a loaded FEL in mud. That front end will be apt to plow without it.

We bought our unit from Watkins Equipment, Paris, TN, for about $21K with 4wd, LA852 loader, 6' bucket, quick attach bale spear, and one remote hydraulic hookup in the back.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

Stackwood

/ Request for opinion on price - Kubota MX5000 #8  
You haven't mentioned it, but get Ag tires. The R4's aren't worth a dam* in mud.

/ Request for opinion on price - Kubota MX5000 #9  
If budget is a major limiting factor, take a look at the L4400. It is a little smaller, a little lighter and has a little less hydraulic pump capacity but it is significantly less expensive. It is very basic with a gear drive tranny. It has 45 hp and is quite capable. I doubt that it could lift a 1500 pound round bale with the FEL or 3ph, but 900-1000 pounds should be do-able. You would need filled tires and some form of ballast on the rear.

I got mine with 4wd and loader for around $18K. I think this would be the least amount of tractor you could get away with but if it were me trying to choose between a 4wd L4400 and a 2wd MX5000, I'd pick the 4400 if there was any chance of mud or hills.

/ Request for opinion on price - Kubota MX5000 #10  
I just checked out the specs on the MX5000. Since I am in the market for a new tractor and have been looking at the fancier M7040 and M8540 I know their price. I must say that the MX5000 is a real bargain for that price. It is truly a lot of tractor for the money. If I wasn't already "hooked" on the Mxx40s I would probably get one!