Need help with options on 2007 L Grand Series

/ Need help with options on 2007 L Grand Series #1  

chuckcoug

Tractor
B7800
I currently have a B7800 and love it, but I need more. I am on 5 acres and am discing and rototilling. The B7800 is keeping up, but it is a hard workout. I can hear it in the trany when pulling the discs behind. So...

I am going to purchase a L Series Tractor to give me a little bit more. I am currently looking at the L4240 or L4740.
I want the cab this time and of course a bucket for the front.

Here is where my quesiton comes in.
A) Do you think the L4240 or L4740 will be big enough for discing and plowing?

B) Most important. The trany>>Everyone is hyped about the new trany, HST Plus. It sound great, but I am wondering if I would be better off with the GST trany. This would give me more gears and make it easier on the trany when pulling disc across the field. What do you think? Plus and minus for:
HSTP>>>
GST>>>

Thank you for your time and I value your opions. Chuck

/ Need help with options on 2007 L Grand Series #2  
The L4240 and up will be fine for a disc harrow and/or tiller or plow.

The HST will serve you best "comfort" wise.
The GST will put more useable hp on the ground for your heavier task.
The GST shifts very easliy and has many many years of excellent SERVICE track record.
Good luck and happy shopping,
Steve

/ Need help with options on 2007 L Grand Series #3  
I'd consider an M5040. The weight and size will really help for the tasks you want to do. The pricing really is not all that much more than the bigger L-Series machines.

/ Need help with options on 2007 L Grand Series #4  
Before I'd go pulling the trigger on a new tractor I'd be checking what I'm doing and how. First for the disk as that is the only thing that might cause a load on the tractor. What range do you use to pull the disc, tiller? The tiller should run easy on the hydro without any problem or stress on the hydro if the tines are geared right. To go to the larger chassis tractor you will more then likely have to buy new implements too. I'm not telling you not to buy as you will have more time for other things but you might get to big of a tractor and find that you might lack in another area.

/ Need help with options on 2007 L Grand Series #5  
MessickFarmEqu said:
I'd consider an M5040. The weight and size will really help for the tasks you want to do. The pricing really is not all that much more than the bigger L-Series machines.

I agree!!:D The way I would look at the transmission would be the type of work you're planning. If you plan to do a lot of loader work or mowing with direction changes (fwd/rev) the HST would be beneficial. I'd consider the GST is you plan long straight-aways with discing or plowing. Of course, the M-series has the synchro-shift standard transmission with clutch.

Have fun!:)

/ Need help with options on 2007 L Grand Series
Thank you for the feed back. Yes, I agree about the GST. I am starting to lean that way. I will consider the 5040 as suggested. The GST with the many gear would give me more options. What I notice about the HST on the b7800 is if I increase the throtle I also increase the speed. The current speed it two fast for disk work, thus I am only pushing the pedle 1/2 way down. I would imagine this is not great.
keep the ideas coming. I vaule this imput.

MessickFarmEqu::

I am confused about the M5040. I don't understand the difference between the L-Series Transmission and the M-Series. Can you shed some light on this?

I understand the L, but after you post I just started looking into the M.

What other difference does the M-Series have?

Oh, regarding the price. About what should I expect to pay for the M5040 with cab?

Thanks for you time.

/ Need help with options on 2007 L Grand Series #8  
The GST in the L's has a hydraulic forward and reverse shuttle AND you do not cluch though any of the gears.

The M-Series has a hydraulic forward and reverse shuttle OPTION and you DO cluch through the gears. It is a more difficult tractor to drive, but its made for a different kind of work that needs a different level of durability and efficiency.

The reason for this is that the GST transmission as its used in the L-Series really won't take more than 50Hp.

Thanks for the response MessickFarmEqu. Ok, I think I am beginning to understand the tranys now. One last thing, you said>>>
"The M-Series has a hydraulic forward and reverse shuttle OPTION"

So does that mean you can buy this option and then you don't need to use the clutch?

/ Need help with options on 2007 L Grand Series #10  
Messick,

What is the price difference between the new L series (with GST, Cab, and Loader) compared to the 5040 equipped the same? Thanks, BOB