Hydraulic Valve

/ Hydraulic Valve #1  

Turfman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
Well I finally convinced the bank (wife) that I needed to get rid of the old B9200 that’s dripping hydraulic fluid all over my trailer and get a new B2710. In talking with one of the dealers he said to order the FEL with a “four position” hydraulic valve. He said the three position one is “a strange unit”. Anyone have any experience with these? What is the difference? I’d like to add a tip n tilt later, does that hook in to the FEL valve and what do I want. The dealer I’m buying from is rather non-committal on the issue. I think he wants to put the cheapest one on. I haven’t locked in my specifications with him yet, so I can get whatever I want at this point. Hate to make a mistake though!

/ Hydraulic Valve #2  
Turfman, I have the LA401 loader with the 3-position (also known as the "old type") valve. You'll probably get an LA402 loader with the 4-position (also known as the "new type") valve. The only difference I've seen in the 401 and 402 loaders is the position of the clip and pin you pull to remove the loader from the tractor. I guess I'd say the 402 is better, but don't think I'd give a nickel for the difference. And even after a cursory look at the service manual for both valves, I'm not sure about telling you the difference. I know with the 3-position, you can't simultaneously roll the bucket back and raise the boom (pull the lever to the lower left corner) because the one with the least resistance will move first. I think (can't say for sure) that the 4-position valve corrects that. And I believe I've read somewhere that the 4-position valve has some advantages if you put hydraulically powered implements on the front of the tractor (turn snowblower chutes or front blades). I'm not even sure about that. At any rate, it's the newer, supposedly better, valve so I'd agree with your dealer. As far as the tip 'n tilt (that's what I called it until other folks on the forum corrected me - the "official" name is Top 'N Tilt/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif), it won't make any difference which of the valves you have because they both have Power Beyond which can be used for that purpose (and a number of folks have used that method, instead of the optional hydraulic outlet block that I used). In other words, there are two places you can get the hydraulic power for that purpose and which of the valves you have for the loader makes no difference.

/ Hydraulic Valve #4  
Bird, Turfman,

I have the 4-position valve ($40 extra) and I can simultaneously roll the bucket and lift the boom. One question though, Bird, does your loader control also have a "speed dump" feature? Mine does. It was my understanding that the 4-way just added a position past "dump" that speeded up the bucket dump.

At any rate, the difference in price was so small that I went ahead with the 4-way.

/ Hydraulic Valve #5  
Nope, John, I do not have the 4-way, and therefore, don't have the speed dump feature. The fact is that the salesman (Bud) never mentioned it, so I didn't know the 4-position valve existed until I got my rig and saw it mentioned in the manual (don't know whether Bud didn't know about it, or whether he just forgot it). However, I've never seen any need to dump faster than mine will dump with the 3-way valve. I guess it's like a lot of things; if you never had it, you don't miss it./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Hydraulic Valve #6  
Interesting - I never knew there was a choice.

If the difference is the speed dump, then I have a 4-way too 'cause I've got fast dump.

/ Hydraulic Valve #7  
<font color=blue>If the difference is the speed dump, then I have a 4-way</font color=blue>

Peter, there's an easy way to tell at a glance, but looking at the front end of the valve (opposite the linkage). Let's see if this picture works to show the obvious visible difference.

Oops, wouldn't you know I'd misspell a word?/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Oh well, you know what I meant./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Attachments

• 1-101015-FELValves.jpg
    1-101015-FELValves.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 112
   / Hydraulic Valve #8  
Bird, you have the "speed dump" option. Check out 3-pos-vs-4-pos valve, post....