Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate?

/ Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate? #1  

_RaT_

Tractor
Kioti 3510-SE HST
Anyone have experience with a small tractor like the BX 24 or BX2350 using a tiller? 42", 48" MAX on the width? My soil is pretty easy to till.

/ Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate? #3  
RaT:

I am almost afraid to reply to an orange site, but having had an old Ford 1100 (13/11 HP) which is about as small as you can go in the SCUT world I would suggest that you go with the smallest tiller that would "clear" the width of your rear tires. My old Woods tiller sized to the tractor (~42") did a great job on established garden plots. I had to make several passes on NE's sod/rocks/clay to establish a "workable garden" bed. Jay

/ Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate? #4  
I'm using a 54" bush hog tiller with my BX2200 in heavy clay. I can run it at half throttle and it just cruises along, no problems.

Ron

/ Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate? #5  
We do allot of rototilling and have a 42" Howard on a B7100 (16 hp) and it spins it fine in any soil. We use 1st. gear 1st. pto. for first time gardens otherwise 540 rpm and 2nd. gear. Be aware that some customers have us rototill between rows of grapes, fruit trees and seedlings. Getting wider isn't necessarily better for some applications. We get some jobs year after year because we can fit in a 48" gate or the narrow rows. I also think the smaller the tiller the easier it is on your tractor. We can offset it when we use it on our wider B7610 so one track is covered by the tiller. I dont think it's nessessary to cover both tracks. I think a clutch is much better than a sheer pin for driveline protection on a tiller because of the number of rocks we hit. I should also add we have never used a reverse tine tiller but they look interesting and maybe someone with experience could chime in.

Any of these big SCUT 400lb. tillers will dig deeper than any walk behind tiller so be very carefull to identify the location of cabel TV and sprinkler hose as they are notoriously burried only a few inches below the surface. We've wound up many feet of both before you can push the clutch in at 540 RPM.

In Michigan we have lots of rocks. Look carefully at the price of replacing the tines and bolts. ( Ours uses interference bolts and nuts that must be replaced every two times). We have replaced ours many times and hear stories about the high cost and limited availability of some tines and bolts.

/ Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate?
Thanks you guys, I was at the CCM site and thought the MR110 or MR130 would be suitable. I am still pondering the purchase of a sub compact like the BX or other models offered by competitors. I have a large need for a tiller.

CCM Gear Drive Rotary Tillers

/ Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate? #7  
This one might be a tad on the large side in heavy clay soil.:eek:

Attachments

• Big Tiller2.jpg
    Big Tiller2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,412
   / Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate? #8  
milkman said:
This one might be a tad on the large side in heavy clay soil.:eek:
Milkman, thats quite a pic! What's in the bucket?

/ Widest tiller a BX 24 type tractor could operate? #9  
I have a 50" tiller that eats dirt on my TC24DA. I also have clay soil in most of my area. I believe the 58" would be handled with no problems as well by my 24 with 4 wheel drive but since the 50 covers the wheels it is just fine. I have also used the 50 in an offset position with no problem.

ROTOMEC USA - Products - Rotary tillers