L3300 gst ? information

/ L3300 gst ? information #1  

flipado

i have located a L3300 gst (1995) with approx. 300 hours and includes fel and loads of implements. could someone give me a rundown on this model and any potential problems to look for.
i wouuld asume the l3410 is the next generation

/ L3300 gst ? information #2  
Good machine for the most part. But there could be some expensive "potential" problems lurking:

The GST clutch pack was a weak point, the clutch pack housing was'nt beefy enough where the snap ring holds the spring loaded clutch discs in the housing and may come apart.
An updated clutch pack housing is available for this unit and is covered under an extended period of 5 years parts and labor and 7 years parts only. The later machines have been updated at the factory and have the new style clutch pack. This repair will run you in the neighborhood of 3000 bucks if the failure occurs out of the extended warranty period.

The GST shifter cover (at the GST valve) was at first built with an o-ring to seal the shift shaft and did'nt hold up all that well. You can upgrade to the lip seal style shift cover for about
250 bucks.

The seals that seal the front drive shaft tend to work there way out and cause the transmission fluid to drain into the clutch housing area. This you can get upgraded for about 150 bucks.

If this tractor has a 3-point hitch mounted backhoe be sure the top link reinforcement bracket has been installed. Personnaly I'd recommend it for most implement applications except maybe a rear mount mower. It prevents the back of the rear housing from ripping out under increased top link loads.

The front axle kingpin seals are another weak point. They tend to require replacement every few hundred hours and will probably run you about 200 bucks per side per occurence.

Make sure the front axle holder upgrade was accomplished. The original front axle holders were too weak and would break usually causing damage to the ring and pinion and possibly the axle housing itself. Another repair that can squeek into the 1000's category.

These problems apply to the early production Grand L and L35
tractors all of which have been corrected on the later production machines (with the possible exception of the front axle seals).

If this machine has seen regular visits to a good Kubota dealer
many of the upgrades may have been done; Front axle holder,front drive shaft seal spacer kit. The GST clutch pack problem is "fix as fail" and on a 95 machine will no longer be covered under warranty (well I guess depends on purchase date)

Just a list of stuff I'd want to know about before purchasing.

/ L3300 gst ? information #3  
Kubmech,

<font color=blue>These problems apply to the early production Grand L and L35 tractors </font color=blue>

Do you have serial numbers of "early Grand L's"? Or is it a date thing?

John "Grand L Owner" Bud

/ L3300 gst ? information #4  
I'll get 'em for you John.....

/ L3300 gst ? information #5  
John, just checked your profile, you have a much newer machine and don't have these problems to worry about. Except maybe that pesky front axle king pin leak (so far, so good). But I will post some ser. numbers for the older grand L's in case anyone else is interested. But so far the two posts asking about the '95 range Grand L's? These are all a factor.......

/ L3300 gst ? information #6  
Weak front axle holder
L2900 up to 52554
L3300 up to 51565
L35 up to 60230
L3600 up to 51570
Holder Kit part # TA040-98602

Weak GST clutch pack housing
L2900 up to 54588
L3300 up to 52599
L3600 up to 53498
L35 50001-50868/60001-60878
L4200F up to 10422
L4200D (with independant PTO) up to 53446

Front axle drive shaft seals come out and trans oil leaks into clutch housing.
L2900 GST up to 61866
L3300 GST up to 54019
L3600 GST up to 56733
L4200 GST up to 57185
Spacer kit part # TA040-98001

/ L3300 gst ? information #7  
Kubmech

Thanks for the info and serial numbers - very specific! Is there a serial number range where we have to be concerned about the top link reinforcement bracket, or is that for all L series?

Also, not being at all familiar with the differences & similarities between geared transmissions, is the clutch pack upgrade a concern with FST or even straight gear transmissions? Same question for FST front drive shaft seals.

Also, is the kingpin seal failure something easily seen, like ruptured ball joint seals, or is it internal?

Not yet having a tractor, I can't just run out and look over the area you are talking about.

Thanks again for the tips

/ L3300 gst ? information #8  
The clutch pack applies to the GST only. Front driveshaft seals apply to all grand L's in the ser.# range. The kingpin seals are internal, you will see it when they start leaking.
The toplink on most Kubotas is a weak point, there has been some good threads on this, here's one<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=owning&Number=106406&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post106406/>top link breakage</A>

/ L3300 gst ? information #9  
Hey Kubmech I am really impressed. And seeing how you seem to be really knowledgeable can I ask your opinion. I am undecided but leaning towards the 3010 HST my other option is the 3410 HST. I plan on moving a bunch of concrete rubble at my pond. I will have contractors deliver it but there will always be some final movement to get it in just the right spot. This and grass cutting will be the main "chores" for the Bota. I am told both would be up to the task but is one more reliable than the other. Am I cutting off my nose despite my face by saving the 2k and going with the 3010? You opinion would be greatly appreciate as I plan to purchase before the week is out. Thanks in advance.

/ L3300 gst ? information #10  
Thanks again. I grabbed top link reinforcment bracket PN's from the thread you linked to your reply. I'll check on all issues when I visit the dealer this week. I have a friend with a 3010 who is putting a Woods 'hoe on...he's already got the thread and pics on the way.....